5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it normal for new tires to look like this?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Measure the tread depth they should be 11/32. That schmutz on the tire is mold release agent

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There have been stories of TRUCKS sold as “new”, and later found out they were wrecked / damaged trucks and repaired.
Lots of vehicles that are damaged in shipping and repaired are sold as new. And the dealership does not have to report the damage to Carfax or any other reporting agency. And until vehicle is titled, it is still a "new" car

As long as the vehicle makes it off the car carrier onto dealership lot, it is then the responsibility of the dealer to handle any damages.

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Looks like the tech used a ton of whatever grease they use to mount the tires and did not clean them after.
My tires looked pretty much like that yesterday after installation and right before the tech cleaned them.
I don't have nubs in my new tires either btw, and I am sure that mine are new.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks like the tech used a ton of whatever grease they use to mount the tires and did not clean them after.
My tires looked pretty much like that yesterday after installation and right before the tech cleaned them.
I don't have nubs in my new tires either btw, and I am sure that mine are new.
If they were sure they were new they wouldn't be ordering new ones for OP though.

sessman

Reaction score
To add one more layer to this, I drove to a reputable tire shop near me and asked their opinion. The guy looked at them, measured all tread depth in multiple areas of all 4 tires and they all read between 10-11/32. He said they're definitely new and that some tires don't come with the nubs anymore. He said they should have been cleaned but they definitely look new.

Now the dealer says my replacement tires will be in tomorrow. What would you guys do?

Dewey

Reaction score
To add one more layer to this, I drove to a reputable tire shop near me and asked their opinion. The guy looked at them, measured all tread depth in multiple areas of all 4 tires and they all read between 10-11/32. He said they're definitely new and that some tires don't come with the nubs anymore. He said they should have been cleaned but they definitely look new.

Now the dealer says my replacement tires will be in tomorrow. What would you guys do?
Did you try cleaning them yet?

What happens if the new tires come in and look exactly the same?

sessman

Reaction score
Did you try cleaning them yet?

What happens if the new tires come in and look exactly the same?
Not yet, was waiting to use my pressure washer on them and have to wait because I just had my truck ceramic done...that is my fear as well. What if this time they scratch a rim or something else happens and it wasn't even necessary.

Dewey

Reaction score
Not yet, was waiting to use my pressure washer on them and have to wait because I just had my truck ceramic done...that is my fear as well. What if this time they scratch a rim or something else happens and it wasn't even necessary.
Pressure washing won’t do much. You need a spray on product to clean the rubber blooming. Money well invested because you’ll need it later anyway no matter which tire you have.

sessman

Reaction score
Pressure washing won’t do much. You need a spray on product to clean the rubber blooming. Money well invested because you’ll need it later anyway no matter which tire you have.
I just bought the Adams stuff you recommended. Can't decide if I have them replace them or not...

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
Why don't you have the dealership clean the tires since they should have done it before. If they say no, then have them replace the tires.

Users who are viewing this thread