5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it normal for new tires to look like this?

sessman

Reaction score
Just got Defender's installed yesterday and this is what they look like. The "scratched" part rubs off with your thumb but wasn't expecting them to be this jacked up. Am I overreacting?

Attachments

• IMG_20240430_081051.jpg
    IMG_20240430_081051.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20240430_081048.jpg
    IMG_20240430_081048.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 147

sessman

Reaction score
Those don't look new. Hope you got a good discount.
I don't think the dealership could legally sell me used tires...curious if others think these are normal or not. I know tires can get pretty dirty in transport.

M3forged

Reaction score
I'd try to clean them with tire black etc, if the scratches are still visible I'd insist they replace them. I'd tell them I was concerned with the integrity of the sidewalls.

sessman

Reaction score
Looks like they were manufactured in 2023. All of them are 3223 and one is 4723

Attachments

• PXL_20240430_153528439.jpg
    PXL_20240430_153528439.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20240430_153542277.jpg
    PXL_20240430_153542277.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 39

sessman

Reaction score
I'd try to clean them with tire black etc, if the scratches are still visible I'd insist they replace them. I'd tell them I was concerned with the integrity of the sidewalls.
So they aren't actually scratches. When I use my thumb and rub them they come right off. Just some sort of sticky residue?

Utahtrapper

Reaction score
Something does not look right, I personally have never seen tires look like that and I have 32 tires on my place for 10 ton trailers to 3500 ram dually and never had a tire look like that!

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just tire blooming. That's normal for tires exposed to to the UV rays. Use a really strong tire cleaner with a brush, then apply a tire dressing to make them black, but not shiny. The dressing will seal in the effects of blooming and will keep the tire black longer.

sessman

Reaction score
Just tire blooming. That's normal for tires exposed to to the UV rays. Use a really strong tire cleaner with a brush, then apply a tire dressing to make them black, but not shiny. The dressing will seal in the effects of blooming and will keep the tire black longer.
You would accept them like this?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You would accept them like this?
I mean, I guess you could ask the dealer to clean them for you. But there is nothing physically wrong with the tires to warrant concern.

sessman

Reaction score
I mean, I guess you could ask the dealer to clean them for you. But there is nothing physically wrong with the tires to warrant concern.
I guess I had an expectation that when I bought tires they would look new and I wouldn't have to scrub them with residue cleaner to make them look new or live with the "blooming".

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I guess I had an expectation that when I bought tires they would look new and I wouldn't have to scrub them with residue cleaner to make them look new or live with the "blooming".
Some tires are worse than others with blooming but it seems to get better over time. Give them a good cleaning and see how they are in a few days. It’s something you will have to do regardless every so often no matter what tire you buy.

This is what I use but plenty of other good products out there that do the same thing.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, thats not how buying tires works.
Be luck you don't have goop all the F over your rims you need to clean off.
Just clean them off and dry them not in direct sunlight then don't worry about it.

But I have never had tires installed that looked THAT bad, looks like they were left sitting outside getting rained on and hit by the sun, which is what will happen when they are on your truck anyways.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some tires are worse than others with blooming but it seems to get better over time. Give them a good cleaning and see how they are in a few days. It’s something you will have to do regardless every so often no matter what tire you buy.

This is what I use but plenty of other good products out there that do the same thing.

I just used that Adams tire and wheel cleaner for the first time and it is about the best I've used.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Not an unreasonable expectation, but one that many tire dealers will not meet unless you clearly explain your expectations up front and ask if they will meet them.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Something does not look right, I personally have never seen tires look like that and I have 32 tires on my place for 10 ton trailers to 3500 ram dually and never had a tire look like that!
I've been around awhile and have never seen new tires look like that. Back in the day, they used to wrap new tires in heavy paper to keep the UV off of them. I replaced my POS Bridgestones with the same tire and they look nothing like that. Bought mine at Discount Tire.

sessman

Reaction score
I've been around awhile and have never seen new tires look like that. Back in the day, they used to wrap new tires in heavy paper to keep the UV off of them. I replaced my POS Bridgestones with the same tire and they look nothing like that. Bought mine at Discount Tire.
So what's the consensus, would you have them replace them?

Users who are viewing this thread