5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is an exhaust pipe leak covered by powertrain warranty?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I noticed my truck was sounding different. Thought it was the dreaded exhaust manifold crack, but it looks like it’s the donut flange right in front of the muffler.

Is this covered by the powertrain warranty? If not I’ll probably just fix it myself.

Thanks

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
Unfortunately no, but it is covered by the extended Mopar warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks. Don’t think I have that since I bought it used at a ford dealership

Last edited:

HawtDogFlvrWtr

Reaction score
If you have a 3rd party warranty, it may be covered by that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think the only exhaust covered by the factory 5yr/60k powertrain warranty is the manifolds.

I would just go to any competent muffler shop, they can probably fix it for a few bucks.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
anyone have the part number for the donut flange gasket?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looked at it again, it's not a donut, but just a regular flange. Called the dealer and it's not covered.

I'll try tightening first. If that doesn't work I'll change the gasket. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks everyone.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well I see the problem. One of the bolts broke.

I was looking at the mopar diagram, and it shows that I’m supposed to have a nut on the bolt. Neither of my bolts have a nut on them. Can someone else with a hemi verify?

Thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well I see the problem. One of the bolts broke.

I was looking at the mopar diagram, and it shows that I’m supposed to have a nut on the bolt. Neither of my bolts have a nut on them. Can someone else with a hemi verify?

Thanks
Unfortunately, it's common for them to break. Just drill it out and install a new bolt

Nels

Reaction score
I had this same problem, and wasn't able to drill out the old bolt, which was in the muffler side. Seemed like a good time to replace the stock muffler! Went with the Flowmaster Flow FX. :)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. So no nut, just a threaded flange?
Yeah, it's a threaded flange IIRC. The last Borla exhaust I installed for a friend, one of his bolts was broken, so had to grab one from my bolt stash.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes vice grips will remove them, if not drill out and install a nut and bolt. The nut and bolt will make it easier next time when/if they break again

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sometimes vice grips will remove them, if not drill out and install a nut and bolt. The nut and bolt will make it easier next time when/if they break again
This is what I plan to try first. I'll clean it up and heat it with my torch to see if I can back it out with vice grips. I also have an easy out if theres enough meat at the end of the bolt. If not, I can drill it and put a nut bolt combo.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had this same problem, and wasn't able to drill out the old bolt, which was in the muffler side. Seemed like a good time to replace the stock muffler! Went with the Flowmaster Flow FX. :)
That would be a great fix! ;)

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I plan to try first. I'll clean it up and heat it with my torch to see if I can back it out with vice grips. I also have an easy out if theres enough meat at the end of the bolt. If not, I can drill it and put a nut bolt combo.
Thats what I do, heat it up and remove it from the rear(towards the muffler). That works most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread