5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is an exhaust pipe leak covered by powertrain warranty?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looking at the Flow FX muffler itself, its only $43. I wonder what a muffler shop would charge to install.

Flowmaster 71229 Flowmaster FlowFX Mufflers | Summit Racing

Depends on the shop, but for example my Flowmaster Outlaw was $110 for the muffler, I paid total out the door with tax $278 for everything. Which includes custom hangers, welding, etc.

So about $168 in my case for labor, piping, materials and taxes. I've seen it done for cheaper, but the shop I used was known for their great welding and probably higher labor costs.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depends on the shop, but for example my Flowmaster Outlaw was $110 for the muffler, I paid total out the door with tax $278 for everything. Which includes custom hangers, welding, etc.

So about $168 in my case for labor, piping, materials and taxes. I've seen it done for cheaper, but the shop I used was known for their great welding and probably higher labor costs.
Thanks. Just a thought. I’m always looking for a good deal. Lol

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks. Just a thought. I’m always looking for a good deal. Lol

I will tell you, my aftermarket muffler is the best money I've spent on my truck. Went from too quiet V8 to 60s era muscle car, but no drone when cruising. Gives it a sense of occasion it was missing :)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nice! That one looks kind of like a glass pack. I don't want anything too loud anymore.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Nice! That one looks kind of like a glass pack. I don't want anything too loud anymore.

It's for loud guys, but surprisingly civilized when cruising. I think it's the loudest of their street line of mufflers, so plenty of much quieter mufflers you can choose from.

RamAddic

Reaction score
Just had my exhaust go loud as hell on my way to work and discovered that both exhaust flange bolts ahead of the muffler broke clean in half. Only 27k miles on the truck and 5 months out of warranty which is a joke. I’ll be calling the dealer first to see what they say. This is a garbage design with inferior bolts imo.

Attachments

• 85B5FD38-C8E5-4E54-A5D9-FA306ACECF33.jpeg
    85B5FD38-C8E5-4E54-A5D9-FA306ACECF33.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 38E89953-A9E3-4DF9-8114-B79D302BFA9F.jpeg
    38E89953-A9E3-4DF9-8114-B79D302BFA9F.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 62

RamAddic

Reaction score
Just had my exhaust go loud as hell on my way to work and discovered that both exhaust flange bolts ahead of the muffler broke clean in half. Only 27k miles on the truck and 5 months out of warranty which is a joke. I’ll be calling the dealer first to see what they say. This is a garbage design with inferior bolts imo.
Update **. Contacted dealer that I use for my oil changed and they said I’m out of warrant by 5 months and there’s nothing they can do. The dealer gave me the phone number to corporate which said even though im 5 months out of warranty period the exhaust system has a bit longer coverage. The only thing not covered is the manifolds and you guessed it…. Those 2 F’ing bolts that are made from tin cans. . The rep said they “ may “ goodwill the fix but I need to go to a dealer for a “ diagnosis “ first and get denied warranty before a claim for goodwill can be made. I would most likely have to pay the dealer $100-$200 for the diagnosis which is more than I’d pay a nearby mechanic to fix it. ($75 from a local guy I use ) and it’s fixed in less than an hour . Total B.S for defective crap but par for the course with these manufacturers unfortunately.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Update **. Contacted dealer that I use for my oil changed and they said I’m out of warrant by 5 months and there’s nothing they can do. The dealer gave me the phone number to corporate which said even though im 5 months out of warranty period the exhaust system has a bit longer coverage. The only thing not covered is the manifolds and you guessed it…. Those 2 F’ing bolts that are made from tin cans. . The rep said they “ may “ goodwill the fix but I need to go to a dealer for a “ diagnosis “ first and get denied warranty before a claim for goodwill can be made. I would most likely have to pay the dealer $100-$200 for the diagnosis which is more than I’d pay a nearby mechanic to fix it. ($75 from a local guy I use ) and it’s fixed in less than an hour . Total B.S for defective crap but par for the course with these manufacturers unfortunately.
Time for a Borla exhaust, and that will fix the problem. Just have to buy two new bolts

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well that bolt isn’t coming out with the vice grips. Tried for at least an hour and it just shaves metal off. How have to decide to try to drill or get a flowmaster. 🤔

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well that bolt isn’t coming out with the vice grips. Tried for at least an hour and it just shaves metal off. How have to decide to try to drill or get a flowmaster. 🤔
Just say no to Flowmaster. I k ow it's subjective, but they sound like crap on Hemis

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just say no to Flowmaster. I k ow it's subjective, but they sound like crap on Hemis
Aw I kinda like it. Lol. I’m gonna let a shop do the work instead of getting the bolt on. What other muffler do you like?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Aw I kinda like it. Lol. I’m gonna let a shop do the work instead of getting the bolt on. What other muffler do you like?
Anything that's not chambered. Love my Borla ATAK. MBRP, Gibson, Magnaflow all good depending on sound you are looking for.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Anything that's not chambered. Love my Borla ATAK. MBRP, Gibson, Magnaflow all good depending on sound you are looking for.
Oh I gotcha. The flow fx isnt chambered maybe that’s why. It’s a straight through design.

5CFA5808-1F76-4D4E-8C1C-ECBECD3ED368.jpeg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you going to have it welded on and skip the bolt flange altogether?
Yes, if they can’t get the bolt out they can abandon the flange. Otherwise it will just be welded in place of the old muffler.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Manifold itself is covered, mine was just replaced @ 44k miles. I only have the warranty that comes with the truck.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Finally got the FlowFx installed. The muffler shop has to drill out both flange bolts, and install bolts with nuts, with a new gasket.

Sounds great, and MDS doesnt really bother me. No drone in the cab. Thanks for the help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread