5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Air Suspension really that great?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely correct.
2 weekends ago I had a 3700lb uhaul trailer loaded with 2900lbs of landscaping stone and truck sat like it was unloaded. Coils won't do that

3,700 lbs U-Haul? Their heaviest utility trailer is only like 2,300 lbs empty

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air suspension has a lot of benefits besides just the ride.

I overloaded mine (yes I know) with about 2500lbs of sod and it stayed level. It gave me a warning that it was too heavy but it performed fine (it was a short drive).

For trailers it doesn't squat and helps distribute the weight better.

I've used it on a very steep cottage road where I was worried it would scrape the front..I stopped the truck and raised it to off road 2 and had no issues.

And just today I was changing my oil and fuel filter and I raised it right up so I could get under the truck easily.

Matrixband

Reaction score
My main concern is things like the neighborhood speed bumps (way too many of them) and some rough roads.

Bigtone

Reaction score
I traded my 2019 Laramie in on my 2021 limited after driving the Limited with the air ride and better seats. There was no comparison. I usually would never trade in a 2 year old vehicle.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Air suspension has a lot of benefits besides just the ride.

I overloaded mine (yes I know) with about 2500lbs of sod and it stayed level. It gave me a warning that it was too heavy but it performed fine (it was a short drive).

For trailers it doesn't squat and helps distribute the weight better.

I've used it on a very steep cottage road where I was worried it would scrape the front..I stopped the truck and raised it to off road 2 and had no issues.

And just today I was changing my oil and fuel filter and I raised it right up so I could get under the truck easily.

Didn't know it would do that

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Both suspensions are highly rated/reviewed.

If you might mod your suspension or plan to do some aggressive off-roading, go with the traditional. You can do some molding/lifting with the air suspension, but the options are few and when those bags are full the ride stiffens significantly.

If you’re towing the air suspension is handy, but you can add after market bags for towing. So up to you.

However, if you might be parking any low ceiling parking garages, being able to lower your truck 4 inches is indispensable. I drive into DC for work quite often and most the parking garages are ~6’ with hanging pipes, conduits, and signs.

I do some mild off-roading on my property, moving firewood and stuff, I tow a travel a few times a year, and I do some city driving a couple times a month and I have absolutely love the air suspension. In fact it’s kept me loyal to 1500, as I’ve been considering upgrading to a 2500, but am not sure i can live with a truck as my daily driver if it doesn’t have 4 corner air.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Both suspensions are highly rated/reviewed.

If you might mod your suspension or plan to do some aggressive off-roading, go with the traditional. You can do some molding/lifting with the air suspension, but the options are few and when those bags are full the ride stiffens significantly.

If you’re towing the air suspension is handy, but you can add after market bags for towing. So up to you.

However, if you might be parking any low ceiling parking garages, being able to lower your truck 4 inches is indispensable. I drive into DC for work quite often and most the parking garages are ~6’ with hanging pipes, conduits, and signs.

I do some mild off-roading on my property, moving firewood and stuff, I tow a travel a few times a year, and I do some city driving a couple times a month and I have absolutely love the air suspension. In fact it’s kept me loyal to 1500, as I’ve been considering upgrading to a 2500, but am not sure i can live with a truck as my daily driver if it doesn’t have 4 corner air.

I agree, if I were off roading or wanted a lift, I'd not go with air ride. Just depends on what your realistic needs are.
I thought you could get air on the 2500 or at least air level or something

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn't know it would do that

I haven’t seen the 5th Gen message but I imagine it’s along the same lines. It’s been reported around 2,000 lbs payload is the air suspension’s limit before getting the warning

739891BB-7027-413D-A4D4-6B8CEB3E7B67.png

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Love my air suspension as well. Zero issues in almost three years.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Loving the air ride on my baby. I was a little worried since I knew she'd wouldn't be garaged, but didn't have a single issue with it through our Ontario winters

BNeal

Reaction score
I have never experienced ANY vehicle that rides as nice as my Limited! If you're looking for comfort, Ram air ride is the ticket.

Klicht87

Reaction score
This is my first truck with air suspension. I've owned a 2018 Silverado and a 2018 Colorado....both very stiff. The air suspension on my ram has the smoothest ride in any vehicle I have ever driven. I don't tow much, yet, but after loading my bed up with landscaping blocks and it automatically levels was really nice. Never even felt the weight in the back. I feel like I'm gonna have back problems after riding in my wifes 2019 Wrangler.

I did test drive a 2021 ram with coil springs and that rode really smooth as well. Just have to decide if it's worth it to you or if you'd use it's benefits. I found a fully loaded laramie with air suspension so it was still cheaper than a limited.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m glad both sides of the coin were brought up here. The vehicles I’ve owned that were the cheapest total cost of ownership were the base trims. A big horn with nothing on it and a diesel will outlive you. The Limited with eTorque and every bell & whistle may last 10 years but then little tiny things start breaking. You throw that many buttons and software items and stuff like air suspension, etc and your over time cost will be higher. It’s why most people lease MB/BMW/Audi vehicles. You don’t want to own one of those out of warranty unless you’re handy.

I ordered a truck with air suspension but won’t keep the truck forever. Once the 8 year Mopar warranty is out, it’s someone else’s problem.

I have personal experience with a friend with an Audi car with air suspension. It failed after 4 years and required all 4 bags be done. I think it was $1500 per wheel for the parts alone and some fancy software calibration So he just ripped out the air suspension, dealt with the check engine light and switched to coil overs.

RHeller1

Reaction score
loved the 4th gen air suspension for towing and ride UNTIL it started having issues. Opted to get my 5th gen without air suspension and ride quality is still very good. I feel the rear of the truck isnt as planted with regular suspension when towing.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A big horn with nothing on it and a diesel will outlive you. The Limited with eTorque and every bell & whistle may last 10 years but then little tiny things start breaking.

10 years! Man I hope you are right on that, but that has not been my experience with rams. I've had 3 (my 4th is on order) since 2014 and have had issues by year 3/4/5 on all of them. Not major issues but also not routine maintenance. Although in my 2013 I had my 8.4" screen die not too far out of warranty, and for the second time (first time was covered under warranty), so at that point I dumped that one because I wasn't going to start putting any sizable money into it. That was kind of my pattern, once it became evident that the truck needed something costly, or a few things that would add up to become costly, I moved on. My trim levels for my 3 4th gens were 2 sports and a longhorn.

Don't get me wrong, obviously I still prefer the ram to other pickups since I just ordered my 4th. This will be my first new ram so I'm hoping to have it for 3-4 years, usually I buy them 2 years old with 15-20k miles on them and then get rid of them once they start having problems which is usually about 2-2.5 years into my ownership. I'd be thrilled to have this one I ordered for 5-6 years even, but I'm not counting on that with all of the electronics and technology in these trucks. I have certainly heard of people with nicer trim levels having long and trouble free ownership, I just haven't been lucky enough yet for it to happen to me.

Good luck on yours though! I think we ordered around the same time, I'm not constantly thinking about my order but I wouldn't be mad if it went into production tomorrow at all either.

Edit: I meant to mention that I did see you got the warranty, so as long as you have a good service department to work on it if need be, at least you have covered yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread