5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Air Suspension really that great?

jmcdtucson

Reaction score
There's something else I don't see mentioned: you can get great mileage on the highway in Aero mode then turn off on a rough road to go hunting or camping and lift it 2 inches for great off road clearance. I love it so far. I may change my tune if/when it breaks.

RAMTrkGN

Reaction score
I tried both types of suspension. Much smoother ride with air. Also , I liked the option to lower the truck for getting in and out. So, my Longhorn Limited has an air suspension.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having driven Rams with and without the air suspension, I would say that the tire size affects (my) ride comfort more than presence of the air suspension does. Drive both and compare for yourself to be sure. 22" wheels with air suspension rides harsher than 20" wheels without air suspension. Don't get 22" wheels, regardless of suspension, if your back is sensitive to a harsher/firmer ride.

For me, the greatest benefit of the air ride is the ability to easily adjust the ride height for loading/maintenance. There are also auto-leveling benefits for towing/hauling. Personally, I would have opted out of the air suspension if it wasn't included in the Limited trim level.

I disagree, my Limited with 22's rides as well or better than the regular suspension on 20's. The air ride on the Ram makes up for the lack of sidewall

No thanks. I'm old enough to remember Lincolns with leaking air suspensions. They still sell the kits to replace the bags with coil springs!

In agreement on the air suspension being fantastic and have no issues with my back at all with 22".

I also am a bit leery of replacement air bags out of warranty. One of the reasons this is a lease. If buying I'd for sure have an extended warranty as I have been told replacement bags are over $1K to replace.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
....guess who has been having buyer's remorse about NOT including air suspension??? :(

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Air suspension is great when it's working. So far so good for our Limited. But I honestly can't tell the difference in ride comfort between that and our Laramie with coils. Both have 20 inch wheels. The wife drives the Limited, and she likes the air suspension mainly for getting in and out of the truck. Combine that with the power running boards and you almost fall into the seat LOL. There haven't been many issues I've read about with the air suspension on 5th gens, but it may be too early to tell. One thing I do know is coils are more reliable over the long term. Historically, air suspension systems always have problems eventually. So if you're planning to keep your truck "till the wheels fall off" you might consider getting coils.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree to expect air suspension problems at some point. That’s why I went 8yr/100k MaxCare.

Hopefully by the time my 1500’s coverage ends, Ram will have redesigned the 2500 crew cabs so I can trade up

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 4th gen system definitely had issues in cold weather. I've had my truck in -25°C and no issues so far.

bigmountain

Reaction score
I just purchased a used 2019 Limited with the air suspension. I had to replace my 2019 Big Horn that was totaled when some a**hole decided that flipping off another driver was more important than paying attention to traffic. He ran into the back of me while I was sitting at a red light. My Big Horn had air bags in back to help with pulling my 32’ trailer. It did great. I am hoping that the Limited with air will perform as good or better than the airlift bags I installed in the Big Horn. Any feedback?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just purchased a used 2019 Limited with the air suspension. I had to replace my 2019 Big Horn that was totaled when some a**hole decided that flipping off another driver was more important than paying attention to traffic. He ran into the back of me while I was sitting at a red light. My Big Horn had air bags in back to help with pulling my 32’ trailer. It did great. I am hoping that the Limited with air will perform as good or better than the airlift bags I installed in the Big Horn. Any feedback?
It should. My bags work just fine when I tow. The air suspension has a 2000 lb. +/- safety shut off to protect the system, and will level up tp that point.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You may find that a stiffer sway bar (Hellwig) helps with lateral movement. Mine has towed fine, but I’ve not towed heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread