5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Air Suspension really that great?

Matrixband

Reaction score
I am looking to get a Ram 1500 Longhorn and drove one today without air suspension. It rode very well. For someone with some mild back issues, is there really much difference with the air suspension? What do you give up with the air suspension option (other than cash)? The one I looked at had OWL all-terrain 20-inch wheel/tire setup, but no air suspension. It might be nice to lower the truck for ease of wife entry, but...? I read some love their Air suspension, but it is difficult to know on a brief test drive. Neighborhood roads are aggravatingly rough with speed bumps everywhere. I do not really intend to go off-road unless absolutely necessary.

DLT123

Reaction score
Having driven Rams with and without the air suspension, I would say that the tire size affects (my) ride comfort more than presence of the air suspension does. Drive both and compare for yourself to be sure. 22" wheels with air suspension rides harsher than 20" wheels without air suspension. Don't get 22" wheels, regardless of suspension, if your back is sensitive to a harsher/firmer ride.

For me, the greatest benefit of the air ride is the ability to easily adjust the ride height for loading/maintenance. There are also auto-leveling benefits for towing/hauling. Personally, I would have opted out of the air suspension if it wasn't included in the Limited trim level.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air suspension was a must-have for me only because of towing purposes.

I test drive one w/o air ride and 20’s. I agree it still has a great ride for 1/2 ton.

If you get power running boards, they drop so low that the air suspension’s entry mode isn’t really needed.

RC Turner

Reaction score
I tried one with air suspension a while back and didn't care for it. I bought mine with standard suspension and am very satisfied with the ride quart and handling.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Having driven Rams with and without the air suspension, I would say that the tire size affects (my) ride comfort more than presence of the air suspension does. Drive both and compare for yourself to be sure. 22" wheels with air suspension rides harsher than 20" wheels without air suspension. Don't get 22" wheels, regardless of suspension, if your back is sensitive to a harsher/firmer ride.

For me, the greatest benefit of the air ride is the ability to easily adjust the ride height for loading/maintenance. There are also auto-leveling benefits for towing/hauling. Personally, I would have opted out of the air suspension if it wasn't included in the Limited trim level.

I disagree, my Limited with 22's rides as well or better than the regular suspension on 20's. The air ride on the Ram makes up for the lack of sidewall

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i drove a rebel with air suspension and with out ... i got the one with out air suspension because it felt very similar ... and im just gonna buy the upgraded bilsteins6112 and 5160 for rear ... and it still cost me less then that air suspension. if i gotta pay extra i would really hope to feel a real difference... and i also towed a small load on both and went on a small little off road with both... only perk about air was you can lower and higher when ever

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Ram's air suspension makes for the smoothest ride of any truck, ever. Almost every professional review site remarks that the truck rides more like a luxury sedan than a truck. Many old timers don't like it precisely for that reason. But even the coil spring rear suspension ensures that the Ram still rides more comfortably than its peers.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
If you don't have air ride

tenor.gif

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to get a Ram 1500 Longhorn and drove one today without air suspension. It rode very well. For someone with some mild back issues, is there really much difference with the air suspension? What do you give up with the air suspension option (other than cash)? The one I looked at had OWL all-terrain 20-inch wheel/tire setup, but no air suspension. It might be nice to lower the truck for ease of wife entry, but...? I read some love their Air suspension, but it is difficult to know on a brief test drive. Neighborhood roads are aggravatingly rough with speed bumps everywhere. I do not really intend to go off-road unless absolutely necessary.
They both ride very well in most situations. The air suspension handles large rebounds (e.g. rough railroad crossing) much better. And it gives you 4” of height adjustment (nice for reaching into bed, accommodating in-laws, etc). And it auto-levels loads. It’s one of those things that you don’t HAVE to get, but that you can ONLY get on a Ram.

xspeedy

Reaction score
It isn’t a world of difference, but I found the coils to be bouncier on roads with undulations. A big benefit is that with a load, the truck will level out - say with a trailer hitched up. I also like being able to raise the truck without a jack to get under for oil changes.

bucolic

Reaction score
I have had 3 rams, 2 without air and my current one is the 2021 limited with air suspension. They all rode fantastic and I think the air suspension has a slightly smoother ride but they all rode very well. I thought about going back to a car and getting an older pickup but any car I drove wasn't as comfortable as the Ram. You can't go wrong with either.

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score
Yes, must have. Only a slight ride quality upgrade to me, it is the convenience. Load, unload, raise at the car wash, lower at the car wash. Makes life easy.

bucolic

Reaction score
No thanks. I'm old enough to remember Lincolns with leaking air suspensions. They still sell the kits to replace the bags with coil springs!
LOL I sure remember that also. Of course, that was in the days when Dodges and most other cars had rust on them right on the dealer lots! The 80's were a bad decade for American automobiles. We really turned out some junk in those days.

BowDown

Reaction score
They both ride very well in most situations. The air suspension handles large rebounds (e.g. rough railroad crossing) much better. And it gives you 4” of height adjustment (nice for reaching into bed, accommodating in-laws, etc). And it auto-levels loads. It’s one of those things that you don’t HAVE to get, but that you can ONLY get on a Ram.

Absolutely correct.
2 weekends ago I had a 2200lb uhaul trailer loaded with 2900lbs of landscaping stone and truck sat like it was unloaded. Coils won't do that

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread