5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior LED Lights swap out possible?

95oRANGEcRUSH

Reaction score
oh geez lol did u use pliers?

If you're careful, you can wrap a piece of scotch tape around the bulb as far down to the base of it you can get. Then pull it out. You may need to pull on one side, then the other, kind of rocking the bulb out of the socket. The tape should adhere strongly enough to 1) pull the bulb out and 2) keep it from falling in between the seats or somewhere else when it's removed. This is how I did it in our Explorer.

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
If you're careful, you can wrap a piece of scotch tape around the bulb as far down to the base of it you can get. Then pull it out. You may need to pull on one side, then the other, kind of rocking the bulb out of the socket. The tape should adhere strongly enough to 1) pull the bulb out and 2) keep it from falling in between the seats or somewhere else when it's removed. This is how I did it in our Explorer.

Awesome idea! I used a pliers, very very carefully, but this seems much nicer.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help out with this. Limited came with LEDs. Bummer that this is not standard across all trims, just like the cargo and third brake light.
Vanity mirrors seems to be good 'ol halogen bulbs in my case though. Friggin stinks.

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
Sorry I can't help out with this. Limited came with LEDs. Bummer that this is not standard across all trims, just like the cargo and third brake light.
Vanity mirrors seems to be good 'ol halogen bulbs in my case though. Friggin stinks.

To be honest with how nice even their Bighorn trim is compared the the competition, I'm surprised they just didn't go led on all except maybe the tradesmen.

what size or part do I need for the back seat dome light?

41mm

DSOOBY

Reaction score
I had the worst time doing this mod, ended up snapping the retaining clips on the whole overhead console, thankfully the whole assembly bolts in with two 8mm bolts so it’s staying up there fine. The bulbs were damn near impossible to pull out, this is one where the juice just isn’t worth the squeeze.

Anyone know what to do with the floor board lighting?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my bulbs in today and figure I’d do the quick swap before I ran out to get a coffee. Wrong! The contacts where the bulb seats are very flexible and finicky and you need to line that bulb up just right.

One side popped right in but the other side just wouldn’t stick. I ended up taking the whole assembly off of the roof and held the back side of the contacts in place while pushing the bulb in with needle nose pliers so that I could make sure it seated correctly.

As mentioned, there are 2 - 8mm screws in the sunglass holder and then there are 2 tabs adjacent to each screw that have to be released. The front will then pull down. Gently slide your fingers backwards until you pop the 2 automotive clips in the rear. Unplug the plugs and you’ll have full access without being a contortionist.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
I got my bulbs in today and figure I’d do the quick swap before I ran out to get a coffee. Wrong! The contacts where the bulb seats are very flexible and finicky and you need to line that bulb up just right.

One side popped right in but the other side just wouldn’t stick. I ended up taking the whole assembly off of the roof and held the back side of the contacts in place while pushing the bulb in with needle nose pliers so that I could make sure it seated correctly.

As mentioned, there are 2 - 8mm screws in the sunglass holder and then there are 2 tabs adjacent to each screw that have to be released. The front will then pull down. Gently slide your fingers backwards until you pop the 2 automotive clips in the rear. Unplug the plugs and you’ll have full access without being a contortionist.

Those rear clips were the ones I snapped, thankfully with the 8mm bolts it's in there pretty good and you would not know the difference.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was scratching my head after I removed those 2 screws.....why the heck isn't this thing coming out! I told myself to just stop, grab a flashlight and take a peak and then I realized those clips. Neat in a way to see. I did ALOT of audio work to my 14 and had not seen that type of fastening used. Like you said, the 2 screws will hold it in place just fine.

kingkasc

Reaction score

Hey I was able to get the consol off no problem but my led bulbs don’t seem to fit... can you guys post what map bulbs you ordered online? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 407

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Hey I was able to get the consol off no problem but my led bulbs don’t seem to fit... can you guys post what map bulbs you ordered online? Thanks
Your bulbs are correct, You need to turn the bulb 90 degrees. the metal strips on the bulb need to contact the metal on socket. It will clamp on the bulb. Keep in mind the bulbs are polar sensitive as well so if it doesn’t work flip it around and it should work

Users who are viewing this thread