5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Larger Fuel Tank

Jerseyman26

Reaction score
Want to swap out for larger fuel tank. My 2019 Ram 1500 has the standard sized tank. I wanted the larger tank option but couldn't find a truck I wanted with the larger tank unless I ordered a vehicle. I had a 2017 F150 with the larger tank and it was great not having to worry so much about when my tank was going to run dry. I don't have the F150 anymore because Ford took it back under the lemon law. Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about changing out the standard tank for the larger tank? I'm leasing so don't know if there would be an issue if I change out the tank or which tank I can use. Gasoline engine.

rconiv

Reaction score
Want to swap out for larger fuel tank. My 2019 Ram 1500 has the standard sized tank. I wanted the larger tank option but couldn't find a truck I wanted with the larger tank unless I ordered a vehicle. I had a 2017 F150 with the larger tank and it was great not having to worry so much about when my tank was going to run dry. I don't have the F150 anymore because Ford took it back under the lemon law. Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about changing out the standard tank for the larger tank? I'm leasing so don't know if there would be an issue if I change out the tank or which tank I can use. Gasoline engine.

I would like to know this also, though in my case, was pretty sure I told the sales person I wanted the 33 gallon tank, and thought I got it, but the window sticker didn't list the fuel tank size. When I filled up on Saturday (got it April 10th), and it stopped at 21 gallons with only 45 miles left on the range gauge. So pretty sure it has the smallest 23 gallon tank.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Even though I do not travel often with this truck,the only way I would upgrade would be to a 33 gallon one. I have the smallest tank they have and I have to wonder why it is sooo small.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if your lease allows you to modify the truck.
I too wanted the bigger tank, having had a 15' F150 with the 36 gallon tank, and while it gave me a nice highway range, frankly as a non-tower it was not necessary. You could save a few dollars buying cheaper fuel but that's about it (if not towing). Besides, my kidneys and back needed the break every 400 miles or so.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I have to ask, WHY! In any event, I am not sure how simple/difficult it is but if it's simple enough, you will have a line around the block of members here looking to take you up on that!

jb772

Reaction score
I have to ask, WHY! In any event, I am not sure how simple/difficult it is but if it's simple enough, you will have a line around the block of members here looking to take you up on that!

Honestly I've never had bigger tanks than 23/24 gallons so I think the numbers of filling this big boy up are going to scare me lol! I just don't want buyers remorse.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
Honestly I've never had bigger tanks than 23/24 gallons so I think the numbers of filling this big boy up are going to scare me lol! I just don't want buyers remorse.

Don't do it for that reason. Gas is (relatively) cheap and if you're worried about mpg you shouldn't have bought this truck. lol. At the end of the day the truck will use the same amount of gas regardless of tank size. If it makes you feel better you can always just put in the same amount $$ each time instead of filling it up. That said, I'll take your 33 gal tank :ROFLMAO:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Don't do it for that reason. Gas is (relatively) cheap and if you're worried about mpg you shouldn't have bought this truck. lol. At the end of the day the truck will use the same amount of gas regardless of tank size. If it makes you feel better you can always just put in the same amount $$ each time instead of filling it up. That said, I'll take your 33 gal tank :ROFLMAO:
Youll have people lined up for that tank, ha ha. I had that on my “must have” list, just didn’t look at the list too hard I guess.
In any event, your gas mileage should give you decent enough range. I have only 1400+ miles to date on the vanilla hemi, on this 200+ highway trip from Raleigh NC to the Outer Banks today, my average was 23.6. (Course the line of traffic 10 miles long behind me weren’t pleased but hey, it’s a good photo).

Attachments

• 40C21E10-C468-46F4-982E-CFB903337191.jpeg
    40C21E10-C468-46F4-982E-CFB903337191.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 151

rhill

Reaction score
Just don't fill the tank all the way up. Put in the dollar amount you are comfortable with. If you find cheap gas, then you can fill up more.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted the larger tank, but dealer didn't have anything with it and the other options I wanted.
My main reasoning - fewer fillups in winter! As it is, I always check weather forecast to decide when to fill up! The less I have to freeze standing there, the better!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The OP seems to have lost interest in they thread. I'm still waiting to see if anyone can answer the original question: "I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about changing out the standard tank for the larger tank?" There are three tank sizes for the 5th gens, 23, 26, and 33 gallons. I'm not sure which tank I have, but I suspect it's the 23 gallon tank. I have to fill up quite often, and the most I've even been able to add was a little more than 19 gallons. And that was with about 20 miles of range left. Also, there is no mention of the fuel tank on my window sticker. I'm quite disappointed with the tank capacity, and I'd really like to go to a larger tank if it's not too difficult.

Downytide

Reaction score
The OP seems to have lost interest in they thread. I'm still waiting to see if anyone can answer the original question: "I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about changing out the standard tank for the larger tank?" There are three tank sizes for the 5th gens, 23, 26, and 33 gallons. I'm not sure which tank I have, but I suspect it's the 23 gallon tank. I have to fill up quite often, and the most I've even been able to add was a little more than 19 gallons. And that was with about 20 miles of range left. Also, there is no mention of the fuel tank on my window sticker. I'm quite disappointed with the tank capacity, and I'd really like to go to a larger tank if it's not too difficult.

Yup, check this thread, the tally is around $1200-1400

I have the 26 and wanted 33 gallons, but I'm building tie downs for those Wavian jerry cans when going on camping trips, its much cheaper and won't fuss with warranty.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'd think is was fairly simple and straight forward, but it's not. Besides the price of a new tank and fuel pump sensor, there are differences in the plumbing. The perhaps real hurdle is PCM programing.

Somebody's already done this and may be in another thread.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029228 miles.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have the 26 and wanted 33 gallons, but I'm building tie downs for those Wavian jerry cans when going on camping trips, its much cheaper and won't fuss with warranty.
Definitely look at the that thread you listed. I changed out my 23 gallon tank and another member changed out a 26 gallon tank. There are a few differences depending what tank came on the truck.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks for the link.

Oscar M

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any RAM dealerships in the Houston Tx area that do the 33 gal fuel tank upgrade?

fimjergusson

Reaction score
I wanted the larger tank, but dealer didn't have anything with it and the other options I wanted.
My main reasoning - fewer fillups in winter! As it is, I always check weather forecast to decide when to fill up! The less I have to freeze standing there, the better!
Did you ever do this?
I have a Dodge Mechanic looking into this in London today.
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread