5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just added the ITBM tonight. Huge thanks to original poster on this. I did find that the settings are a bit different in ALFAODB. Maybe there have been some updates since OP did it but was easy to figure out from there. I did have a couple things I am hoping someone else ran into and and calm me down. My temperature up down buttons on the side of the 12” Uconnect now only go full HI or full LOW and nothing in between and my backup camera disappeared and the button for it now just shows a generic “U” similar to the Uapps button. I am hoping this is just a case of “ wait a few hours and the magic software elf’s fix it”. Has anyone else run into this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read through the threads. This is just how it works anytime you disconnect the battery. Takes a few hours for everything to reset.

CJW

Reaction score
My temperature up down buttons on the side of the 12” Uconnect now only go full HI or full LOW and nothing in between
Can confirm as the other poster said. Scared the **** out of me at first, but works itself out.

Jay2727

Reaction score
Can confirm as the other poster said. Scared the **** out of me at first, but works itself out.
So a little update after my panic attack. YES everything came back to normal and I now have full functionality of my trailer brake options including the cluster display pages and the trailer naming options in the settings screens. Just to share what I saw along the way that might help or ease some panic for others along the way.
- the physical installation is detailed perfectly in the original post
- the ALFA ODB programming instructions are great but the app itself has updated a few times since OP and may look a little bit different (it did for me) but let’s be real, if you are capable enough to even be considering messaging with your trucks BCM you will figure it out. I didn’t document the individual drop downs but I know I had to try a couple different versions to find the right one to link to my BCM
- after making the ITBM settings changes I did get the trailer brake on the cluster but nothing else
-yes I did pull the battery positive during hardware installation and in hindsight this is what caused my 12” Uconnect to turn into an Atari 5600 for about 12 hours. I guess better safe than sorry but not knowing it would dump a bunch of options and settings from the screen and take overnight to fix itself caused me some stress. I thought I had ******up my BCM.
-here is a list of things I found missing from the touchscreen
-backup camera. Won’t come on in reverse and all buttons and settings disappear
Air suspension settings MIA but the suspension still worked with height select physical switch
Comfort and convenience lost a bunch of stuff
Trailer brake not yet present in settings (did show on cluster)
At about 10 minutes in the F bombs start at a high RPM
2 hours in and the wife will start yelling out that it’s time to put the kids to bed
The next morning you will run out to check again before you even let the dog out and find everything back to normal and you now have trailer brake in the settings
25% of people also get one more wife yelling out the window “are you friggen serious?? The dog has to pee”. Results may vary

hope this helps someone

2019 RAM Rebel 12” screen

TRX2022

Reaction score
I just did this on my 22 Ram trx. Install was easy I freed what i assume is the correct plug and cant get a positive click on the brake controller plug.Plug is the same shape but it appears 68309259ac switch has 10 pins but connector only has 8 holes. Maybe there was a change in 2022?! I'll check with the dealer tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20220413_213530.jpg
    20220413_213530.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220413_213517.jpg
    20220413_213517.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 22

TRX2022

Reaction score
I just did this on my 22 Ram trx. Install was easy I freed what i assume is the correct plug and cant get a positive click on the brake controller plug.Plug is the same shape but it appears 68309259ac switch has 10 pins but connector only has 8 holes. Maybe there was a change in 2022?! I'll check with the dealer tomorrow.
Nvrmind. Did some more digging. Proper plug was really taped up there. All good now.

Gadgetech

Reaction score
One thing I found useful when looking at the looooong list of options and being frustrated I couldn’t find the ITBM after looking through the list twice…there’s a search option at the top of the list, at least on my Android tablet. 🙃🤪

fender_fella

Reaction score
I'm going to do the physical insatllation but I'd like to get a dealer to flash the software. Does anyone in Central Texas know of a good dealer service center that will flash software for a part I install myself?

azzx

Reaction score
Ok guys, I am too damn old and impatient - read many threads on this, cant retain the info from many "great" threads on this topic!!! -- just want to validate what I need to embark on changing parameters on my truck like adding the off-road/performance pages, camera, etc.
So I need:
1- Alpha OBD application
2- OBDII module -- BAFX or any other module that works
3- Security bypass module -- which one?

what is the sequence of connecting these stuff?

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am too damn old and impatient - read many threads on this, cant retain the info from many "great" threads on this topic!!! -- just want to validate what I need to embark on changing parameters on my truck like adding the off-road/performance pages, camera, etc.
So I need:
1- Alpha OBD application
2- OBDII module -- BAFX or any other module that works
3- Security bypass module -- which one?

what is the sequence of connecting these stuff?

BTW - I am willing to buy a bottle of single malt, or any beverage of choice for anyone in PHX metro area that has done this before and is willing to help a geezer!
You will also need to update the software in your radio

azzx

Reaction score
Bought the parts, connected them. went to the menu options for enabling performance and off-road pages, changed them to yes.
No success to this point. Maybe user error!
Is there a sequence of steps to follow so the changes stick?
BTW I have the new version of the alfaobd app and there are 5 options for 2019 RAM. I picked the option towards the lower page

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bought the parts, connected them. went to the menu options for enabling performance and off-road pages, changed them to yes.
BTW I have the new version of the alfaobd app and there are 5 options for 2019 RAM. I picked the option towards the lower page
It mat take up to 4 hours till the menu shows up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you update your firmware on your radio to newer version?

azzx

Reaction score
Yes - it is on 39.XX -- the latest version.
thanks

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes - it is on 39.XX -- the latest version.
thanks
It took several hours for them to show up on my truck. Not sure exact time. I enabled them in afternoon, and by the next morning they were there. But it's not immediate

azzx

Reaction score
No dice so far -- 300 mile drive today, I am on Ver. 39.9.
added trailer break controller and CAMSL camera -- both showed up immediately
Sequ for performance and off-road pages.:
1- RAM DS/DX/DT
2- Body computer
3- Body Computer MY2019 Powernet
4- Car configuration change
5- Select Option drop down menu: VehConfig1: Performance pages present
6- Select value: Yes
7- Hit start button on the app
8 - message programming completed appear

but no result. Did this yesterday also.
same process for the off-road pages with no results

Last edited:

rcoodey

Reaction score
Just want to give a big thanks to @brotharon for these great instructions. I got the brake controller installed and working on my new 2022 1500 and it was pretty easy.

The only real hang up for me was when programing. The instructions say to choose "Central Gateway Module" and I was not able to connect. But after seeing @rutledj post (thanks!) I noticed that option seems to be for older models. Chose "DT MY2022 PowerNet" and all went smoothly from there.

This is after I called my local service center twice, leaving a message once. Left a message on their online portal. Talked with someone on their chat and they took down a message. No one ever would call me back. So not happy at all with my local dealer and concerned if/when I ever need to go there.

But this saved me some money too, so again, big thank you!

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Anyone in here have the blank that they removed left over from when they installed the trailer brake?

Users who are viewing this thread