5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing Factory Trailer Brake Controller and DIY Software Update

Judge

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just finished installing my TBM yesterday in my 2021 1500 Sport Night Edition. I bought all the parts needed. Used AlphaOBD. Followed the incredible steps listed above. My instrument cluster now shows "Trailer Tow" in the scroll menu along with the other scrolling options. It shows my gain control which works with the installed dash controller. The only thing is there is no Trailer Control in the Uconnect apps. I'm unable to select the type of trailer....Light electric, heavy electric etc. I can't name a trailer either. I have installed and uninstalled the 4 settings numerous, and I mean numerous times in AlphaOBD to no avail. I have read this forum extensively and have not come across a fix. Is it possible that in order for the app to be recognized by the 12.1 UCONNECT that it has to be installed on the Uconnect side. Have them add the app on there end? Hopefully someone here has fixed a similar issue.

Thanks everyone.

Judge

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just finished installing my TBM yesterday in my 2021 1500 Sport Night Edition. I bought all the parts needed. Used AlphaOBD. Followed the incredible steps listed above. My instrument cluster now shows "Trailer Tow" in the scroll menu along with the other scrolling options. It shows my gain control which works with the installed dash controller. The only thing is there is no Trailer Control in the Uconnect apps. I'm unable to select the type of trailer....Light electric, heavy electric etc. I can't name a trailer either. I have installed and uninstalled the 4 settings numerous, and I mean numerous times in AlphaOBD to no avail. I have read this forum extensively and have not come across a fix. Is it possible that in order for the app to be recognized by the 12.1 UCONNECT that it has to be installed on the Uconnect side. Have them add the app on there end? Hopefully someone here has fixed a similar issue.

Thanks everyone.
So, went out this morning and the "Trailer Brake" app has populated under the settings app of the 12.1 unconnected. I'm not sure why it took so long to show up.

Reaction score
Just followed these instructions, went perfectly except for how hard it is to get the bracket in when you're old and have a hard time climbing under the dash! All in, about $250-$300. Dealer says no brake controllers until October or later - found it on Ebay, got it in 3 days.

Judge

Reaction score
Well, the trailer brake app disappeared yesterday from the uconnect screen. I thought maybe when I hook up the trailer this morning it would come back. Nope!

Golfanatic

Reaction score
Does anyone in GA have the ODB and a tablet I could borrow? I will drive to you! I called several dealerships who all wants $160+ to flash the software and also are close to a month out to schedule. Help!

Last edited:

ljinnc

Reaction score
I have a 21 Laramie that I attempted to activate the Brake controller using the same methods as with a 2019 Bighorn that I had but was unsucessful. I was greeted with the following screen in alfaobd. Do I need to purchase a different OBD interface, I was using a BASX that worked well before and alfaobd which also worked well before. I followed the steps used by brothoron at the beginning of this thread. Any help is welcomed. IMG_0796.jpg

ljinnc

Reaction score
It worked with AlfaOBD. There was a difference in the steps sequence, but that's understandable because they update the app often. Just read the options in the app and you'll find the right settings to change.
I'm getting the same thing you did with yours, can you post the steps you took to avoid that? I couldn't get mine programmed.

Fordication

Reaction score
If you can get that price I would recommend you do it. I called 5 dealerships in the houston area and was quoted no less than 700 for parts and labor. I inquired about the price if I sourced the parts, 3 of the dealerships refused to install parts I bought elsewhere. The other 2 dealers quoted me 425 to install the parts and flash the software. It was just not cost effective to have it installed. For the price difference I could buy a new one every year for several years since I own the obd reader and the software, and I would still be money ahead.
Like I said, individual circumstances vary. Comfort levels with diy projects vary as well. Do what you are comfortable with. I can appreciate it either way.
I got it on ebay then installed it myself. Took it to Ram and they did the update for $170. Parts $140, update $170, total $310.

vetto

Reaction score
Step 11: Software Update using AlfaOBD
Follow all steps to sync your phone/tablet/computer to the Bluetooth/wifi device that you are using (your OBD2 reader, and again I recommend that BAFX one because it worked for me)
View attachment 31430

Locate the FCA Security gateway plugs, disconnect them, and plug them into your bypass module. They are driver side to the left of the steering wheel under the dash.
View attachment 31431
View attachment 31433

Now, turn your truck on (remember that you disconnected the battery earlier, and one of the "put it back together implied steps" was to reconnect it)
Open your AlfaOBD app
Select the type of interface you are using and find your device.
Connect to your (OBD Reader) device
Select RAM from the OEM options
Select Ram 1500 from the 1st dropdown
Select Body Computer from the 2nd dropdown
Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown
Select connect
Once connected click on the little car with the hood up and navigate all the way to the bottom of this menu
Select "Car Configuration Change"
In the next menu you will need to make the following changes one at a time. Be sure to validate that the change was made by selecting each option and seeing what it is set at according to AlfaOBD after you set the option. The options you need to change and the values for them are as follows:
ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer selected CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer name CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

/*The information about the settings and the idea that I could do the software update on my own are courtesy of member downsjh*/

My dash display updated immediately and I was able to see the trailer information. Some people have stated that theirs took a few minutes. Your mileage may vary. Turn your truck off, remove your OBD2 reader, and I recommend removing the gateway module bypass.

Now you should have a fully functioning trailer brake controller and 0 trips to the dealership!

View attachment 31435
View attachment 31437

Thank you for your time. I hope that this helps someone save a few pennies like it did for me. If you have anything you would like to add, or steps that I missed (it is possible, I am part gorilla) please feel free to let me know. I am not a mechanic by trade, just by hobby, so go easy on me please :D
so i just completed this on my '19 1500.
When using AlfaODB, when connecting, the third drop down had "central gateway module 20xx-2012" (dont remember exactly), so I selected "2019 power somthing or another" and it all went GREAT!

Two questions:
1. does the switch light up at all? mine doesnt.
2. is the electric brake signal always there? like, when I view the trailer brake in the cluster display, it shows the brake signal when I use the brake pedal...even when no trailer is attached. Is that normal? Never had an integrated controller before, so this is kinda new to me. In my head, I figured that the computer would "sense" a trailer through the 7-pin and only activate the trailer brakes then. Of course, there's a lot of things in my head that are messed up, so take that for what it's worth. LOL

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
so i just completed this on my '19 1500.
When using AlfaODB, when connecting, the third drop down had "central gateway module 20xx-2012" (dont remember exactly), so I selected "2019 power somthing or another" and it all went GREAT!

Two questions:
1. does the switch light up at all? mine doesnt.
2. is the electric brake signal always there? like, when I view the trailer brake in the cluster display, it shows the brake signal when I use the brake pedal...even when no trailer is attached. Is that normal? Never had an integrated controller before, so this is kinda new to me. In my head, I figured that the computer would "sense" a trailer through the 7-pin and only activate the trailer brakes then. Of course, there's a lot of things in my head that are messed up, so take that for what it's worth. LOL
No that is not normal. You may have missed an option when using alfaOBD, or changed something you shouldnt have

vetto

Reaction score
No that is not normal. You may have missed an option when using alfaOBD, or changed something you shouldnt have
Oh boy. Guess I'm redoing the programming tomorrow. I only changed the 4 things in the top of this thread. Hmm.

Reaction score
Step 11: Software Update using AlfaOBD
Follow all steps to sync your phone/tablet/computer to the Bluetooth/wifi device that you are using (your OBD2 reader, and again I recommend that BAFX one because it worked for me)
View attachment 31430

Locate the FCA Security gateway plugs, disconnect them, and plug them into your bypass module. They are driver side to the left of the steering wheel under the dash.
View attachment 31431
View attachment 31433

Now, turn your truck on (remember that you disconnected the battery earlier, and one of the "put it back together implied steps" was to reconnect it)
Open your AlfaOBD app
Select the type of interface you are using and find your device.
Connect to your (OBD Reader) device
Select RAM from the OEM options
Select Ram 1500 from the 1st dropdown
Select Body Computer from the 2nd dropdown
Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown
Select connect
Once connected click on the little car with the hood up and navigate all the way to the bottom of this menu
Select "Car Configuration Change"
In the next menu you will need to make the following changes one at a time. Be sure to validate that the change was made by selecting each option and seeing what it is set at according to AlfaOBD after you set the option. The options you need to change and the values for them are as follows:
ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer selected CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer name CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

/*The information about the settings and the idea that I could do the software update on my own are courtesy of member downsjh*/

My dash display updated immediately and I was able to see the trailer information. Some people have stated that theirs took a few minutes. Your mileage may vary. Turn your truck off, remove your OBD2 reader, and I recommend removing the gateway module bypass.

Now you should have a fully functioning trailer brake controller and 0 trips to the dealership!

View attachment 31435
View attachment 31437

Thank you for your time. I hope that this helps someone save a few pennies like it did for me. If you have anything you would like to add, or steps that I missed (it is possible, I am part gorilla) please feel free to let me know. I am not a mechanic by trade, just by hobby, so go easy on me please :D
Thanks for the well pictured and worded install on this. I was looking to do this for my Ram

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the well pictured and worded install on this. I was looking to do this for my Ram
I’m looking for a replacement blank that you take out when you install the factory trailer brake so if you or anyone has one left over they are looking to get rid of or can give me the part number off of it I would greatly appreciate it

L a r r y

Reaction score
After doing this, I was successful on every step. I do have a question, the mileage section when towing. Is this suppose to be giving mileage while you are trailering? Is there another setting to be done in the menu, as my truck does not show calculated mileage when I am towing a trailer.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After doing this, I was successful on every step. I do have a question, the mileage section when towing. Is this suppose to be giving mileage while you are trailering? Is there another setting to be done in the menu, as my truck does not show calculated mileage when I am towing a trailer.
Are you towing a trailer with 7-pin plug and trailer brakes? It doesn't work if using the 4-pin plug for lights only

Rtbelec

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I’m having a similar issue with my 19 dt Laramie here in Australia.
The dealer installed the electric brakes but the icon is missing on the uconnect screen.
On the dash it says light trailers brakes but I cant change to heavy,

any suggestions? I’m heading away for a month towing my caravan over Christmas 🎅 ideally want them working properly

Attachments

• 8D4A0B53-CAFD-4948-9DD2-7017D8123F31.jpeg
    8D4A0B53-CAFD-4948-9DD2-7017D8123F31.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 19

L a r r y

Reaction score
Are you towing a trailer with 7-pin plug and trailer brakes? It doesn't work if using the 4-pin plug for lights only
I was using the 7pin connector. It was a bass boat, that does not have electric brakes, just a surge brake.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was using the 7pin connector. It was a bass boat, that does not have electric brakes, just a surge brake.
That's probably the issue then. I think it's the trailer brake circuit that triggers it

Jay2727

Reaction score
I just added the ITBM tonight. Huge thanks to original poster on this. I did find that the settings are a bit different in ALFAODB. Maybe there have been some updates since OP did it but was easy to figure out from there. I did have a couple things I am hoping someone else ran into and and calm me down. My temperature up down buttons on the side of the 12” Uconnect now only go full HI or full LOW and nothing in between and my backup camera disappeared and the button for it now just shows a generic “U” similar to the Uapps button. I am hoping this is just a case of “ wait a few hours and the magic software elf’s fix it”. Has anyone else run into this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread