5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

installed TRX steering wheel into my 2019 bighorn

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just sharing info with others in the group - recently picked up a 2021 steering wheel (with paddle shifters) and put it in my bighorn.
took all of 10 minutes. didn't need any special puller or tools. I used a small slotted screwdriver to put the airbag retaining ring, and a metal pick to pop the airbag electrical connectors out after seeing it done that way on a YouTube video.

End result - fits right in, no issues, plugs right in, no issues, everything works as it should. I have not made any changed via alfaobd yet. The paddles do work to change gears and are indicated on the cluster by the odometer. I don't know that it's using different shift tables or not, I'm going to log some runs with hptuners tonight and see its actually accessing different shift schedules/pressure tables than the bighorn range limiter buttons.

But end result, if anyone was thinking of getting a gt or trx wheel for their 19+ peasant trucks, you can put it right on and it's up and functional.
LOVE the flat bottom and the contoured grip area of the TRX wheel.
Only thing is, the particular wheel I purchased on eBay, is not a heated wheel, but price was right and I really wanted to mess with paddles.

NOTE: You can't really just get paddles and wire and add them to your stock wheel without modification, because there are 4x threaded screw bosses in the center casting area, where the paddles attach, and are missing from my bighorn wheel core casting.

I'll put some pics up tonight and post some results form hptuners logging when I get a change.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The paddles change the gear, or set the gear limiter?

On a TRX\GT you can shift up or down with the paddle not setting a gear limit.

Would be interested in seeing if it really does allow direct shifting without any programming which would seem rare but cool if true.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The paddles change the gear, or set the gear limiter?

On a TRX\GT you can shift up or down with the paddle not setting a gear limit.

Would be interested in seeing if it really does allow direct shifting without any programming which would seem rare but cool if true.
According to his post, they do change gears.
"The paddles do work to change gears and are indicated on the cluster by the odometer."

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is exciting, can't wait to hear more, plug and play with paddles and no software adjustment, I'm in.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
According to his post, they do change gears.
"The paddles do work to change gears and are indicated on the cluster by the odometer."
He might just be setting the gear limiter which is why I asked.

If he can set it in 8th gear while stopped hes not changing gears, hes just setting the gear limiter.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
He might just be setting the gear limiter which is why I asked.

If he can set it in 8th gear while stopped hes not changing gears, hes just setting the gear limiter.

That's a good point and definitely a concern. Hopefully the OP can test it a bit and report back on some more of his results with this mod.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
just sharing info with others in the group - recently picked up a 2021 steering wheel (with paddle shifters) and put it in my bighorn.
took all of 10 minutes. didn't need any special puller or tools. I used a small slotted screwdriver to put the airbag retaining ring, and a metal pick to pop the airbag electrical connectors out after seeing it done that way on a YouTube video.

End result - fits right in, no issues, plugs right in, no issues, everything works as it should. I have not made any changed via alfaobd yet. The paddles do work to change gears and are indicated on the cluster by the odometer. I don't know that it's using different shift tables or not, I'm going to log some runs with hptuners tonight and see its actually accessing different shift schedules/pressure tables than the bighorn range limiter buttons.

But end result, if anyone was thinking of getting a gt or trx wheel for their 19+ peasant trucks, you can put it right on and it's up and functional.
LOVE the flat bottom and the contoured grip area of the TRX wheel.
Only thing is, the particular wheel I purchased on eBay, is not a heated wheel, but price was right and I really wanted to mess with paddles.

NOTE: You can't really just get paddles and wire and add them to your stock wheel without modification, because there are 4x threaded screw bosses in the center casting area, where the paddles attach, and are missing from my bighorn wheel core casting.

I'll put some pics up tonight and post some results form hptuners logging when I get a change.
You got a fairly rare steering wheel. Less than 4% of the TRX wheels were made with no heating element.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just updating after a few tests drives..
again, the point here is just to share info with the group.
so far, just appears to be operating as a gear limit function, not actually commanding manual gear changes.
messing with some alfaobd stuff and I'll report back again later on. might try some different chassis types/shifter type settings as well.

Scram1500

Reaction score
How much was the wheel? Even if the paddles just act as the +/- gear limit that's pretty cool

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok. Just an update. Appears I’m only getting gear limit function. Tried different chassis types in alfaobd, but was getting various ABS errors and such. Tried some different shifter types also, but no function. Going to keep chugging along.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Ok. Just an update. Appears I’m only getting gear limit function. Tried different chassis types in alfaobd, but was getting various ABS errors and such. Tried some different shifter types also, but no function. Going to keep chugging along.

Thanks for the update on that. I know someone has done the change to the GT steering wheel with paddles, you may need dealer level software to change it.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know if on the Ram G/T, does it have to be in sport mode for the paddles to function?
Also, here’s a Durango log to check out. I believe it has paddles with a 4pos rotary shifter.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you know if on the Ram G/T, does it have to be in sport mode for the paddles to function?
Also, here’s a Durango log to check out. I believe it has paddles with a 4pos rotary shifter.
If I recall you don't
I test drove one and if you toggled the paddles it would just shift.
I think sports mode is different, changes shift points or something. You don't need to shift it manually to be in sports mode.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On the TRX, only certain drive modes enable the paddle shifters.

1674263904279.png

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can resend the log? Would like to check it out.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Whoops, forgot to hit paste:
Should be this

VehConfig 7:
Shift Feature Autostick / Electronic Range Select Status: Autostick Present

This is what mine defaults to Shift Feature Autostick / Electronic Range Select Status: ERS Present

I wonder if it changes if it would change the little buttons to a shifter, that would be interesting.

I wonder if we can get someones output from a GT trim on a 1500.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Should be this

VehConfig 7:
Shift Feature Autostick / Electronic Range Select Status: Autostick Present

This is what mine defaults to Shift Feature Autostick / Electronic Range Select Status: ERS Present

I wonder if it changes if it would change the little buttons to a shifter, that would be interesting.

I wonder if we can get someones output from a GT trim on a 1500.
That much we already know:
VehConfig 3: paddles present and VehConfig 7: autostick instead of ERS.
It gets a little fuzzy with the paddles lockout feature, sport mode present, shifter types, etc.
A ram GT log isn’t gonna tell us anything we don’t already know, but the Durango is pretty much set up like Mikes situation- paddles with a 4 position rotary shifter.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm.:looking at Durango log, I see sport mode is yes. I haven’t tried that yet.

I’m assuming Durango has a sport mode button like a grand Cherokee?

Users who are viewing this thread