5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

install retrax pro mx?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So the Polycarbonate is several hundred dollars cheaper than the same aluminum. All I see is the aluminum being talked about. Can anyone explain why they went with the aluminum over the Polycarbonate? Im thinking about getting the one with the t-slots so I can add some storage, so being able to put a heavy load on the cover isn't all that important. Thx.
The aluminum units have a LIFETIME warranty and can withstand a ton of weight on top...like 500#. The polycarbonate units have a 1-year warranty and then prorate and you cannot stand on it. I went for the warranty and the more solid build of the unit and this is my third truck that I put one on...no better cover on the market but you do pay a pretty price for it.

charliede60

Reaction score
The plot thickens...Retrax said they don't think those black rails will work. :rolleyes: They provided me the same part numbers that you have above and I've sent a note to the Ram dealer to confirm and if so, will also order up to get it installed.
i ordered mine already, i doubt the dealership will know anything, they are into selling trucks and dont care about what you do to the truck. But maybe you will get lucky. Hoping to have my new rails soon, then i will buy the retrax.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
So the Polycarbonate is several hundred dollars cheaper than the same aluminum. All I see is the aluminum being talked about. Can anyone explain why they went with the aluminum over the Polycarbonate? Im thinking about getting the one with the t-slots so I can add some storage, so being able to put a heavy load on the cover isn't all that important. Thx.

May be just personal preference, I liked the matte black look vs. shiny black...I also figured if I had any snow and ice build up, the aluminum would be more sound for me.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
May be just personal preference, I liked the matte black look vs. shiny black...I also figured if I had any snow and ice build up, the aluminum would be more sound for me.
Very true about the ice buildup. The non-aluminum units will succumb to the weight of ice and snow and warp the top cover...experienced this first hand when I lived up North.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My take is this...if you're on a tight budget, but want an awesome cover, get the OneMX. If you can afford to spend a bit more, and want to do it right for the long haul and plan to keep the trick for a while, then get the Pro series. I'm a "top of the line" kinda guy and never skimp ;)

charliede60

Reaction score
i ordered mine already, i doubt the dealership will know anything, they are into selling trucks and dont care about what you do to the truck. But maybe you will get lucky. Hoping to have my new rails soon, then i will buy the retrax.
How did you make out with the silver rails? Im still waiting for mine, its a special order should have them this week.

scope1

Reaction score
You just spent $60,000 for a new truck. Why not spend a few hundred extra and get the aluminum in the pro series. While you are at, it for another hundred you can get the XR and add racks at your leisure.

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
Question for those who have installed the Retrax.. I have the RetraxPRO XR kit and in the online PDF install Guide:

On page 13 (Step 4), it states this:

Remove cargo rail end caps and cleats

but in the body of Step 4, it states:

Remove the cargo rail and caps (1) and tie-down cleats (2) from the rails.

As per the RED bold, there appears to be a typo?

Does the entire rail system need to be removed or just the tie-down cleats?

TIA..

Reverse

Reaction score

I went with the cheaper polycarbonate. I believe additionally, aluminum has higher load rating (500lbs vs 200lbs for poly), and I believe Pro has longer warranty. All not worth the price difference to me, I will never put a load directly on the cover anyway.

robgdiv

Reaction score
I just installed the Retrax Mx pro. 2020 1500 Limited with Rambox and MFT. Like the cover but many gaps with the MFT. Where the gate meets the Ram box is a huge space not covered. The cover itself interferes with the complete opening of the Ramboxes.
I need to maybe refine the fit but really not much wiggle room overall.
Would love to see pictures of other installs to see if I’m doing something wrong. The instructions were ok but not the best. Even where the rolling cover touches the gate there is a small gap that can’t be minimized as there is metal rail that digs into the tailgate. Needed it for a trip next week so I will look at adjusting fit after the trip. Anyone else has it fit perfectly?

Dfukes, I also have the Retrax Mx Pro installed on a 2020 Ram 1500 with Rambox and MFT.
Do you have any interference with the opening of the Rambox lids from the rubber side seals of the Retrax rails?
If so, have you done anything that minimizes the interference?

Bozknight55

Reaction score
Dfukes, I also have the Retrax Mx Pro installed on a 2020 Ram 1500 with Rambox and MFT.
Do you have any interference with the opening of the Rambox lids from the rubber side seals of the Retrax rails?
It does interfere with full opening of the ramboxes. Has become a bit better with use but still doesn't fully open without binding up. Not perfect but living with it.

robgdiv

Reaction score
It does interfere with full opening of the ramboxes. Has become a bit better with use but still doesn't fully open without binding up. Not perfect but living with it.
Ok. Thank you for your reply

charliede60

Reaction score
same issue i have ,if you adjust the rail back a little away from the tailgate then it will hit less but the rubber seal to the tailgate will be right on the edge.

Toytruck

Reaction score
Theres a $100 rebate now for the Pro MX and the XR.

Who has the best price on them?

Pino F

Reaction score
Where do you see the rebate?

Thx
Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliede60

Reaction score
I just installed the Retrax Mx pro. 2020 1500 Limited with Rambox and MFT. Like the cover but many gaps with the MFT. Where the gate meets the Ram box is a huge space not covered. The cover itself interferes with the complete opening of the Ramboxes.
I need to maybe refine the fit but really not much wiggle room overall.
Would love to see pictures of other installs to see if I’m doing something wrong. The instructions were ok but not the best. Even where the rolling cover touches the gate there is a small gap that can’t be minimized as there is metal rail that digs into the tailgate. Needed it for a trip next week so I will look at adjusting fit after the trip. Anyone else has it fit perfectly?

This is what I did and now it fits much better: The metal rail that is touching the tailgate needed to be notched out just a little, use a hack saw, it is a soft aluminum and will cut very easily. once you have it cut you can move down the rails just a tad more, that will also allow the rubber to seal better over the tailgate. So it eliminates 2 issues.

Pino F

Reaction score
I purchased mine from tonneau factory outlet and got the following:
Retrax pro XR for 5’-7” no ram boxes

for $1,680.00

No tax, free shipping

And free tailgate seal kit.

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread