5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

install retrax pro mx?

mau

Reaction score
Can anyone share details on how much usable depth you lose in the bed with this cover? I am concerned with the 57' bed already being short this may take up too much space, I really want the ram boxes so the 6'4 bed isn't an option for me.

mark-e-mark

Reaction score
I see you are in Atlanta, I am too. Did you buy it local or online?

I went with the cheaper polycarbonate. I believe additionally, aluminum has higher load rating (500lbs vs 200lbs for poly), and I believe Pro has longer warranty. All not worth the price difference to me, I will never put a load directly on the cover anyway.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Well, I can’t tell you the exact dementions right now, but there certainly is a loss of volume due to the canister. In my case, I missed the mark a bit, as now when I load my sled in the back, I have to take my ski loops off to get it in all the way.

Only takes 5 minutes to take off and put back on, so I will be ok, but kinda a pain. I think the canister is some 13” deep and about 10” off the floor. I have all my gear, tools, etc in the Rambox.

For me, I had a tri-fold hard cover on my GMC. Wanted to give this one a shot. Wanted something that locked. E773A344-8EE7-4AD9-A5BA-5C91C6B997B5.jpeg

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

JAram20

Reaction score
Great information here. Can anyone tell me the actual model number used when you ordered your Retrax for the short bed, no RAM box and MFT? I currently have one on my older truck and love it but want to put one on my new RAM. After measuring it looks like I may be able to use the old cover. Thanks for any input.

Santa

Reaction score
This is what I did and now it fits much better: The metal rail that is touching the tailgate needed to be notched out just a little, use a hack saw, it is a soft aluminum and will cut very easily. once you have it cut you can move down the rails just a tad more, that will also allow the rubber to seal better over the tailgate. So it eliminates 2 issues.
Can you post a picture of the modification?

J1C

Reaction score
I replaced the factory brackets with some custom made ones of 3/8" steel from https://rightonbracket.com. When you remove the factory ones and look at the size of the bolts and thickness of the steel in the bed at the attachment points, the brackets I had made were much more substantial than those, but lower profile so they do not interfere with the tonneau installation.
I have the mft without rambox and am thinking of getting the retraxpro. Did you have to modify the rails at all during install? Thanks.

slapthatplank

Reaction score
I have the mft without rambox and am thinking of getting the retraxpro. Did you have to modify the rails at all during install? Thanks.

I'm interested in this as well. I have the righton brackets installed, and not sure how the rails would fit. I'm thinking that the presence of those brackets would alter how much available width there is for the canister and keeping the rails parallel within 1/16" of each other.

Santa

Reaction score
This is what I did and now it fits much better: The metal rail that is touching the tailgate needed to be notched out just a little, use a hack saw, it is a soft aluminum and will cut very easily. once you have it cut you can move down the rails just a tad more, that will also allow the rubber to seal better over the tailgate. So it eliminates 2 issues.
I did the same thing with my RamBox and Multifunction Tailgate 5’7” bed. I shortened mine about 3/8” but I think that 1/2” might be better. Hack saw and a little file to round off the corner and edges.

Attachments

• 516592A3-3CEB-47E7-90B4-AC7CF61A1905.jpeg
    516592A3-3CEB-47E7-90B4-AC7CF61A1905.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 5EADAB28-9D12-45A6-BBDE-90AD343F6C37.jpeg
    5EADAB28-9D12-45A6-BBDE-90AD343F6C37.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

jcarcueva

Reaction score
Great information here. Can anyone tell me the actual model number used when you ordered your Retrax for the short bed, no RAM box and MFT? I currently have one on my older truck and love it but want to put one on my new RAM. After measuring it looks like I may be able to use the old cover. Thanks for any input.

I am also looking for the exact model number for the same bed specs

Pino F

Reaction score
I installed mine right out of the box without any cutting involved. All I did is replace the two brackets and it fit in perfectly. Will take pictures tomorrow if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcarcueva

Reaction score
I purchased mine from tonneau factory outlet and got the following:
Retrax pro XR for 5’-7” no ram boxes

for $1,680.00

No tax, free shipping

And free tailgate seal kit.

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What model number was it? I'm looking to get the same one

charliede60

Reaction score
I did the same thing with my RamBox and Multifunction Tailgate 5’7” bed. I shortened mine about 3/8” but I think that 1/2” might be better. Hack saw and a little file to round off the corner and edges.
Yep , then a little black paint for touch up and you are good to go. :)

slapthatplank

Reaction score
Hey all, I just ordered mine. I'll be making a YT video of the install and will post it up. I think it'll be a week before I get the retrax and it'll be a few days before I get the video up. Hopefully that'll help some people around here. I got part no. T-80243, which is the Pro XR model. Retrax has a $100 rebate, and coupled with the Memorial Day sales, I got a heckuva deal.

Well, these are pretty pricey but my thinking was that the $100 rebate makes it a free upgrade to go from the MX to the XR, plus I want to have a way to carry my MTBs/snowboards/paddleboards/etc and still have secure room in the bed.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Do the black rails that come with the factory cover on a rambox work on the Retrax 80244?

That's a negative Ghost Rider...you need the silver rails. About $150 each, if I remember my saga correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread