5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

install retrax pro mx?

thrasherjosh

Reaction score

Thanks man! It wasn’t the cover I was looking for but I think I scored a pretty good deal on the RetraxOne XR from autoanything just now!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Done, ordered and shipping tomorrow...$1,581.45, which included tax and free shipping in a pre-black Friday sale from RealTruck.com.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
craven. I ordered from tonneaucovered for 1599... shipped and no tax... also ordered the DU HA, should have em in a couple days.

Chris
Thant's where I got mine from back in March. $1610 shipped for free and no tax. Great Deal Chris...you're going to love this cover!

knightro84

Reaction score
Is the pro the powered one? Is it bettter than the manual?

The difference between the RetraxPRO MX/XR and the RetraxONE MX/XR is that the PRO has aluminum slats where the ONE has polycarbonate slats. The XR has T-rails so that you can add crossbars and the MX has the standard side rails.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
In addition to the above, the Pro has a FULL LIFETIME warranty and they say you can also stand on top of it...VERY STRONG!

Bozknight55

Reaction score
I just installed the Retrax Mx pro. 2020 1500 Limited with Rambox and MFT. Like the cover but many gaps with the MFT. Where the gate meets the Ram box is a huge space not covered. The cover itself interferes with the complete opening of the Ramboxes.
I need to maybe refine the fit but really not much wiggle room overall.
Would love to see pictures of other installs to see if I’m doing something wrong. The instructions were ok but not the best. Even where the rolling cover touches the gate there is a small gap that can’t be minimized as there is metal rail that digs into the tailgate. Needed it for a trip next week so I will look at adjusting fit after the trip. Anyone else has it fit perfectly?

t76turbo

Reaction score
Think I may end up ordering one soon. Hopefully one of the retailers will get the pricing close to what some of you guys have posted up.

scope1

Reaction score
I recently installed my Retrax Pro XR on my 2020 Ram 1500 without Rambox and with Multifunction tailgate with my wife helping and it took about an hour. I ordered brackets from Pete at rightonbracket.com and it was an easy swap out. I paid $1697 for mine from Tonneaufactoryoutlet.com tax and shipping included. I think that the price discrepancy is the either the confusion between the Retrax ProMX (without the t slots) and the Retrax ProXR (with the t slots) or that customers need to call the actual company and not depend on the web site for the best price.

charliede60

Reaction score
I just installed the Retrax Mx pro. 2020 1500 Limited with Rambox and MFT. Like the cover but many gaps with the MFT. Where the gate meets the Ram box is a huge space not covered. The cover itself interferes with the complete opening of the Ramboxes.
I need to maybe refine the fit but really not much wiggle room overall.
Would love to see pictures of other installs to see if I’m doing something wrong. The instructions were ok but not the best. Even where the rolling cover touches the gate there is a small gap that can’t be minimized as there is metal rail that digs into the tailgate. Needed it for a trip next week so I will look at adjusting fit after the trip. Anyone else has it fit perfectly?

Quick question... Do you have with the RAMBOX the BLACK tie down rails? i am hearing that the Retrax pro MX only will fit with the SILVER rails

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I called Retrax yesterday and they said the "silver rails" note was for 2018 trucks and older. Retrax doesn't mention this on their ordering page, it just says, "standard rails w/out stake pockets". She said it didn't matter what colored rails I have now, it will fit my truck.

Then, I called RealTruck, whom I ordered it from and he said the same thing. Their page does mention the silver rails.

However, I called Retrax again today and talked to another person and she is going to send me some info so I can tell which rail works with my truck and Retrax setup and which does not. She said if the black rails don't work, I can order new rails from Mopar and she's sending me the part number.

Of course, I guess I won't know until installation, but my fingers are crossed. My part number was RTX-80244.

I'm hoping to have my dealer do the installation next week, so I'll have to figure it out, if we need to order the new rails. :oops:

charliede60

Reaction score
I called Retrax yesterday and they said the "silver rails" note was for 2018 trucks and older. Retrax doesn't mention this on their ordering page, it just says, "standard rails w/out stake pockets". She said it didn't matter what colored rails I have now, it will fit my truck.

Then, I called RealTruck, whom I ordered it from and he said the same thing. Their page does mention the silver rails.

However, I called Retrax again today and talked to another person and she is going to send me some info so I can tell which rail works with my truck and Retrax setup and which does not. She said if the black rails don't work, I can order new rails from Mopar and she's sending me the part number.

Of course, I guess I won't know until installation, but my fingers are crossed. My part number was RTX-80244.

I'm hoping to have my dealer do the installation next week, so I'll have to figure it out, if we need to order the new rails. :oops:
i spoke with a dealer for the retrax, they are the ones that told me the info, if you have the OE Tonneau cover that comes with the black package those rails are made specific for the cover, the cover sits on the rails, the part for the silver rails to replace the OE cover are these: (from the website)

Ram 1500 Tonneau Cover Rail Kit (Part No: DTRAILKIT)
If your Ram 1500 DT is equipped with OE Tonneau Cover Rails (Sales Code CS7), this custom kit from MoparOnlineParts.com replaces your original rails to allow for installation of Mopar accessory Tonneau Covers.

Kit Contains:
  • 68027048AD - Right Side Rail
  • 68027049AD - Left Side Rail

Let me know what you find out, I am going to call them tomorrow to possibly order the rails.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
i spoke with a dealer for the retrax, they are the ones that told me the info, if you have the OE Tonneau cover that comes with the black package those rails are made specific for the cover, the cover sits on the rails, the part for the silver rails to replace the OE cover are these: (from the website)

Ram 1500 Tonneau Cover Rail Kit (Part No: DTRAILKIT)
If your Ram 1500 DT is equipped with OE Tonneau Cover Rails (Sales Code CS7), this custom kit from MoparOnlineParts.com replaces your original rails to allow for installation of Mopar accessory Tonneau Covers.

Kit Contains:
  • 68027048AD - Right Side Rail
  • 68027049AD - Left Side Rail

Let me know what you find out, I am going to call them tomorrow to possibly order the rails.

The plot thickens...Retrax said they don't think those black rails will work. :rolleyes: They provided me the same part numbers that you have above and I've sent a note to the Ram dealer to confirm and if so, will also order up to get it installed.

mark-e-mark

Reaction score
The difference between the RetraxPRO MX/XR and the RetraxONE MX/XR is that the PRO has aluminum slats where the ONE has polycarbonate slats. The XR has T-rails so that you can add crossbars and the MX has the standard side rails.

So the Polycarbonate is several hundred dollars cheaper than the same aluminum. All I see is the aluminum being talked about. Can anyone explain why they went with the aluminum over the Polycarbonate? Im thinking about getting the one with the t-slots so I can add some storage, so being able to put a heavy load on the cover isn't all that important. Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread