5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

install retrax pro mx?

cash4trash

Reaction score
Hey All, I'd like to install a bed cover on my truck. The Retrax website doesn't show install for a 2019 RAM. The installs show four clamps that are two in front, and two in the rear. And, there's three measurements to be made to make sure the rails are square to each other. A different year RAM shows using bolts, and another member I just posted a reply on his thread is using bolts... What's the deal?? Am I missing something?

Chris

Mandtz

Reaction score
I Just had one installed by a local dealer. I watched some and helped some. It was pretty easy, just like the video on the retrax web site.

Took 30-45 minutes.
You assemble the cannister to the rails, then lift the assembly up into the bed, Make sure the seals and rails are lined up and tighten the clamps. One person can assemble the parts, but its best to have two to lift it on. There are also written instructions that come with it. I really like it and no leaks despite living in Seattle area.

tonneau cover.jpg

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I Just had one installed by a local dealer. I watched some and helped some. It was pretty easy, just like the video on the retrax web site.

Took 30-45 minutes.
You assemble the cannister to the rails, then lift the assembly up into the bed, Make sure the seals and rails are lined up and tighten the clamps. One person can assemble the parts, but its best to have two to lift it on. There are also written instructions that come with it. I really like it and no leaks despite living in Seattle area.

View attachment 40009

It was easy, I just had my 13 yr old help me lift it into the truck. Took less than an hour from beginning to end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cash4trash

Reaction score

Took 30-45 minutes.

View attachment 40009
Thanks mandtz.. yeah, looks like i'll be ordering one soon. chris

cash4trash

Reaction score
It was easy, I just had my 13 yr old help me lift it into the truck. Took less than an hour from beginning to end.

Thanks ppowell.. I found a great price on one, probably order in a couple days. I was thinking though, maybe even better deal black friday???? chris

cash4trash

Reaction score
OK, I read the instructions again and I guess the bolts are used if you have a RAMBOX, and mine doesn't. The Retrax Dodge install truck looks like a 2004 or 05 with no adjustable bed rails. I'm gonna call em monday. Thanks for your help guys! Chris

jcarcueva

Reaction score

Took 30-45 minutes.

View attachment 40009
Hard to tell but do you have the MFT? Won't the brackets that stiffen up the bed be in the way?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Hard to tell but do you have the MFT? Won't the brackets that stiffen up the bed be in the way?

No way to install WITH the brackets. Shady that the dealer would remove them, since we've been told HERE on a number of threads that doing so would void the warranty if you run into issues with the bed down the road.

The dealers are apparently ignorant of this fact (as other members have reported the dealers taking the brackets off) - but will smarten up quick if there's any issues and FCA tells them they won't warranty the parts and labor. And if they DEALER TOOK THE RAILS OFF - they can end up being liable for the repair (especially if they didn't get the customer to sign an acknowledgement that removing them voids the warranty).

I was going to start a poll here, to see how many MFT owners just said screw it and took the brackets off to accommodate accessories that won't fit WITH THEM.

Cover manufacturers are "reportedly working on" units that will fit the MFT's - but a majority of even the folding systems require a rail that runs along the lip of the bed, flush with the bulkhead for the covers to sit in to maintain watertightness, and the rail also acts as a "rain gutter" diverting water into a drain tube out of bed.

I'm running a Gator Hybrid currently - which does fit - but it really wasn't what I wanted (prefer the bakflip MX4 or FibreMax - or - Xtang Encore).

Rick

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I installed mine myself the exact same as @Mandtz . Only needed a neighbor to help lift it and get it into the bed. Took my measurements and tightened down the clamps and done! There is no better cover on the market than the Retrax Pro. This is my third Retrax and will NEVER buy anything different.

cash4trash

Reaction score
I installed mine myself the exact same as @Mandtz . Only needed a neighbor to help lift it and get it into the bed. Took my measurements and tightened down the clamps and done! There is no better cover on the market than the Retrax Pro. This is my third Retrax and will NEVER buy anything different.
Thx security guy... that's the info I was looking for.. I just seen the different install instructions and didn't see my yr/ model.. Chris

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thx security guy... that's the info I was looking for.. I just seen the different install instructions and didn't see my yr/ model.. Chris
You are going to LOVE the Retrax Pro:) If you have any questions, once you receive it, feel free to PM me and we can chat via cell.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Thanks ppowell.. I found a great price on one, probably order in a couple days. I was thinking though, maybe even better deal black friday???? chris

Probably, but they don’t offer discounts often

jcarcueva

Reaction score
No way to install WITH the brackets. Shady that the dealer would remove them, since we've been told HERE on a number of threads that doing so would void the warranty if you run into issues with the bed down the road.

The dealers are apparently ignorant of this fact (as other members have reported the dealers taking the brackets off) - but will smarten up quick if there's any issues and FCA tells them they won't warranty the parts and labor. And if they DEALER TOOK THE RAILS OFF - they can end up being liable for the repair (especially if they didn't get the customer to sign an acknowledgement that removing them voids the warranty).

I was going to start a poll here, to see how many MFT owners just said screw it and took the brackets off to accommodate accessories that won't fit WITH THEM.

Cover manufacturers are "reportedly working on" units that will fit the MFT's - but a majority of even the folding systems require a rail that runs along the lip of the bed, flush with the bulkhead for the covers to sit in to maintain watertightness, and the rail also acts as a "rain gutter" diverting water into a drain tube out of bed.

I'm running a Gator Hybrid currently - which does fit - but it really wasn't what I wanted (prefer the bakflip MX4 or FibreMax - or - Xtang Encore).

Rick

I'm planning to get this for now. I've sent them an email to confirm how far the clamps sit.

Mandtz

Reaction score

Rick
I replaced the factory brackets with some custom made ones of 3/8" steel from https://rightonbracket.com. When you remove the factory ones and look at the size of the bolts and thickness of the steel in the bed at the attachment points, the brackets I had made were much more substantial than those, but lower profile so they do not interfere with the tonneau installation.

Attachments

• brace pic 2.jpg
    brace pic 2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 123

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Looks like they are on sale!

Thoughts on the price? Probably the best deal out there?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks like they are on sale!

Thoughts on the price? Probably the best deal out there?
I paid $1610 for mine so if I were you I’d grab it and be happy!

thrasherjosh

Reaction score

Where did you find the great price!!?? I’m looking for the RetraxOne XR, but can’t find a great deal anywhere!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread