5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insights into 2021 Ram based on TRX information.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious. The TRX will have no option for 2wd only. It defaults to 4wd auto. And gives you the options of 4 low or 4 high.
This is what I thought was very strange....with 4wd Auto it uses a different clutch pack which has been deemed to be not as reliable in terms of off roading. Some people were reporting that when in 4Low the transfer case kept going in and out of 4wd. There was a guy on here who posted a video on it recently.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only 118 MPH top speed? Seems like they locked it down for some reason, with that kind of power a top speed of 160+ would be easy to obtain.
It's governed. From what I know....there's a certain weight to speed ratio that the US NHTSA sets up. I'm sure there will be a tuner out eventually that can remove the limiter.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only 118 MPH top speed? Seems like they locked it down for some reason, with that kind of power a top speed of 160+ would be easy to obtain.

Easily, but it's based on the tire rating, which limits top speed for safety reasons that PowerJrod mentions. The Raptor has an even lower top speed due to the limits of it's KO2 tire. FCA had to go with a custom all-new off-road tire just to get that 118 mph top speed rating, from what they said, its so they could get a higher top speed than the Raptor.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I thought was very strange....with 4wd Auto it uses a different clutch pack which has been deemed to be not as reliable in terms of off roading. Some people were reporting that when in 4Low the transfer case kept going in and out of 4wd. There was a guy on here who posted a video on it recently.
It is a 48-13 a completely different beast than the 4wd auto transfer case in the limited.

Probably why it is full time 4wd. One if the issues with the 48-11 is people need to be nannied to make sure they do not break it.

dinomufin

Reaction score
It is a 48-13 a completely different beast than the 4wd auto transfer case in the limited.

Probably why it is full time 4wd. One if the issues with the 48-11 is people need to be nannied to make sure they do not break it.

nannied how? Using it less often or putting it under less stress when off road? I told my wife she's fine to use it in rough weather (rain, snow, etc) to make sure she doesn't fish tail it into a pole.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have threads here that describe it.

If you are driving on road in inclement weather to get to your destination you will never know the short comings.

It is nannied by you can push any button and it won't try to engage til all the parameters for the shift are correct.

4wd auto is a very unique setup made for driving on pavement in ever changing conditions. It will work offroad also...but the clutches will be working overtime to the point they get hot and trip a code.

If you ever get the chance to be on snow in a controlled environment...or even wet grass on a hill...you will find the 4wd auto will ultimately send power to one wheel...when conditions are met.

But they do have lock...so you can get out.

But this is all for another thread.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That's an easy one. Safety.
No one should be driving >118MPH on a lifted truck, and even that would be pushing it in my opinion.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really hoping that hood will fit my rebel

The other half of that question is what will they want for it.

I've seen some performance hoods (aftermarket) go for $800-$1000 recently for our trucks. Therefore, I'm guessing Mopar will do their typical thing and want somewhere in the $2000 ball park for it. :rolleyes:

U

User_21361

The fenders are, as they are flared, but pretty sure the engine compartment is the same size.
That was my thought as well.

The other half of that question is what will they want for it.

I've seen some performance hoods (aftermarket) go for $800-$1000 recently for our trucks. Therefore, I'm guessing Mopar will do their typical thing and want somewhere in the $2000 ball park for it. :rolleyes:

That price wouldn't surprise me at all. Based on my quick google search, the raptor hood fits (w/ the grill) on a standard f150. Fingers crossed on both fit and price. I'm really liking the scoop and marker lights. I'll give it a few months and call around. I'm sure it will take a month+ to even get a straight answer as to whether it fits.

Ramjeep

Reaction score
my question is will the wheels and tires fit ? I have a laramie with the ofg . That’s all I want off this truck .

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The tires. The tires are rated to 118 mph. RAM and Goodyear worked together to beat the 105 mph of the RAPTOR.

There is a reason there are ratings on a truck...from GVWR to speed ...something isbthe weak link...in this case it is the tires.

Ramjeep

Reaction score
You are gonna have to lift it to get 35s to fit. The wheels will...with smaller tires.
Dang well that's out. I already have issues fitting into garages in the area. I think I might go with bigger wheels on my existing rims. Was thanks 295/60/20. would that fit with no lift ?

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tires. The tires are rated to 118 mph. RAM and Goodyear worked together to beat the 105 mph of the RAPTOR.

There is a reason there are ratings on a truck...from GVWR to speed ...something isbthe weak link...in this case it is the tires.

Often times "lifestyle vehicles" and halo-cars/trucks are meant to increase sales of the other vehicles downstream.

I wouldn't be surprised, at all, to find that these All Territory tires are available in the size for regular Rebel buyers in about a years time.
Factory? No I think they'll keep the TRX special. Direct from Goodyear aftermarket style? I think so!

Last edited:

Oak Grove

Reaction score
I was disappointed that they didn't announce the Uconnect5. I was holding off to order a new Laramie with it. Now, I'm not sure if I should wait a few months, and potentially just get a 2020 discounted on the lot.
My question is: Since I will be getting the 12 inch screen with Navigation/etc...what will Uconnect5 add? It seems like a lot of the stuff on the Pacifica are already on the 12 inch system?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was disappointed that they didn't announce the Uconnect5. I was holding off to order a new Laramie with it. Now, I'm not sure if I should wait a few months, and potentially just get a 2020 discounted on the lot.
My question is: Since I will be getting the 12 inch screen with Navigation/etc...what will Uconnect5 add? It seems like a lot of the stuff on the Pacifica are already on the 12 inch system?

"Improvements to the system include five times faster processing power, larger touchscreens with three times better resolution, over-the-air updates for seamless patches to the system, and an interface that is familiar to Uconnect 4, FCA spokespeople said in a virtual demonstration of the system."

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
"Improvements to the system include five times faster processing power, larger touchscreens with three times better resolution, over-the-air updates for seamless patches to the system, and an interface that is familiar to Uconnect 4, FCA spokespeople said in a virtual demonstration of the system."
Yeah, I was bummed to see that they would not include this on the TRX (I really don’t care about the TRX though, just hoping that Uconnect 5 will come to the 2021 1500s). We should know in the next couple of months or so.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it’s not being offered on the TRX, heck UConnect 5 wasn’t even mentioned, I doubt it’ll be coming for the 2021 MY. 2022 is looking more and more likely.

Users who are viewing this thread