5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Input for external trailer camera? Where is it? Pics?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I knew we were talking the two different systems. Still, don't they hook to the main harness the same? I ASSUMED the harness was the same for either system, then the BCM was set for the option. Bottom line, is there a harness that can be added, also getting the 12 pin socket, and add the surround? Me purchasing a truck depends on whether or not it can be done. I have already seen the camera equipment on Clist.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I knew we were talking the two different systems. Still, don't they hook to the main harness the same? I ASSUMED the harness was the same for either system, then the BCM was set for the option. Bottom line, is there a harness that can be added, also getting the 12 pin socket, and add the surround? Me purchasing a truck depends on whether or not it can be done. I have already seen the camera equipment on Clist.
For a 1500 factory equipped with trailer surround view, the wiring for the 12-way is bundled in with the rest of the main harnesses.
To add trailer surround view to a 1500 after the fact, you would need the 12-way trailer connector, the trailer gateway, and a custom standalone harness built for the truck (there is no mopar prep kit like there is for the aux trailer cameras that use the 12-way).

6of36

Reaction score
For a 1500 factory equipped with trailer surround view, the wiring for the 12-way is bundled in with the rest of the main harnesses.
To add trailer surround view to a 1500 after the fact, you would need the 12-way trailer connector, the trailer gateway, and a custom standalone harness built for the truck (there is no mopar prep kit like there is for the aux trailer cameras that use the 12-way).
Let me get this perfectly clear. The truck does have standard surround. There is a 12 way connector on the truck as part of the main harness? I need to purchase a trailer gateway, and the trailer plug for the bumper, that has the 7 pin and 12 pin. Then just fabricate a harness from the harness 12 pin to the bumper 12 pin? And of course reprogram to activate.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Let me get this perfectly clear. The truck does have standard surround. There is a 12 way connector on the truck as part of the main harness? I need to purchase a trailer gateway, and the trailer plug for the bumper, that has the 7 pin and 12 pin. Then just fabricate a harness from the harness 12 pin to the bumper 12 pin? And of course reprogram to activate.
Forget about regular surround view, it’s irrelevant to trailer surround view. If you have a 2022-2023 1500 that did not come from the factory with trailer surround view option, then you will have to add the 12-way bumper connector, trailer gateway, custom built standalone harness for the truck side of the 12-way, and of course the trailer surround view camera kit. Then you’ll enable the trailer surround view camera module with AlfaOBD.

6of36

Reaction score
Forget about regular surround view, it’s irrelevant to trailer surround view. If you have a 2022-2023 1500 that did not come from the factory with trailer surround view option, then you will have to add the 12-way bumper connector, trailer gateway, custom built standalone harness for the truck side of the 12-way, and of course the trailer surround view camera kit. Then you’ll enable the trailer surround view camera module with AlfaOBD.
Thank you for finally clearing that up for me. I may just purchase the truck I had ordered. I have no problem just adding a custom harness between two points. I didn't want to modify any existing harnesses. The other things i should be able to locate pretty easy, but do you have any info by chance on the trailer gateway? Part #? Where it is actually located, so I can search for part # if you don't know? All of your help is greatly appreciated. I found this. Is it the right part?

Attachments

• Gateway.jpg
    Gateway.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

jmwelter

Reaction score
Jimmy07,
I am looking for any option to add at least one camera. 2023 Ram Limited with Tow Pkg Group. I can provide vin if this would help. I do not have the dual input rear view mirror or the trailer camera plug on the rear bumper driver side. On the 12" screen, I do see Auxiliary cameras and the surround view camera options. Any details would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sam5828

Reaction score
So what are the part numbers for all of these pieces? And can you make the harness needed?

rdugedug1

Reaction score
First, let’s clear some things up so we know exactly which cameras you want to have, because three completely different camera systems are being talked about/confused/mashed together in this thread:
1) AUX 1 and AUX2- displayed on the radio screen, and would use the “mopar trailer camera prep kit”. This is a prep that includes the 12-way trailer connector.
2) Trailer Surround view- this will show up in the radio with soft keys “trailer surround” and “aux 2”. This system also uses a 12-way trailer connector which also includes canbus wiring and a trailer gateway prepped on the truck side.
3) Tow mode camera kit. THIS is what I believe you want to do. This kit plugs into a single coax port that would be on the driver side of the license plate, and it displays in the digital rear view mirror automatically when it is plugged in (and you can switch between the tow mode camera view and CHMSL rear camera view in the digital mirror).
If your truck does not have that port on the bumper, but does have a mirror with the two inputs, you can easily add the wiring to the truck. You would need a 30’ length of fakra z female to female RG58 coax cable, and the bumper port (can’t find the part number off hand). You connect one end of the coax to the tow mode camera input on the mirror, and run it to the rear bumper and plug it into the back of the bumper port that you would install. Then you need to tow mode camera kit, and you just install that on your trailer and plug it into the bumper port.
Jimmy07,

Great intel....

I have a 2023 1500 with the "Mopar trailer camera prep kit" installed. I can't find the camera that goes with this kit though. Would you happen to know the part number for the camera?

Thanks

Doug

4breakfree1

Reaction score
Jimmy07,

Great intel....

I have a 2023 1500 with the "Mopar trailer camera prep kit" installed. I can't find the camera that goes with this kit though. Would you happen to know the part number for the camera?

Thanks

Doug

Hey Doug, can you possibly post pictures of this said Kit? I am now going back and forth with the dealer. I have a 2022 1500 Limited with the surround view system and advanced safety system, when I ordered my truck I opted out of the trailer camera prep kit, and I was told that I could always have it added later (with labor costs added of course). Mind you, I ordered my truck with the 3.92 gears and the tow mirrors because I am towing a 7x16 for snowmobiling and atvs, so I have every intention of towing. Well, I recently decided that I would like a camera on the back of my trailer. I called the dealership to get a quote to have the trailer camera prep kit installed and they are telling me this is not an option or a kit that can be installed on my truck. This is pretty frustrating since I was told I could always have it added later, and it shows it as an option for 1500's when you build on ram trucks website . Does your kit have a 12 pin connector instead of the 7pin and 4pin? If so, can you take pictures? Does this said 12 Pin connector accept a regular 7 pin connector that I currently have on my trailer? Thanks!

Dcam2man

Reaction score
No. The digital camera specifically for the mirror is the only camera that the digital mirror is capable of displaying.
Also, are you sure you have a digital mirror that has the second input? As far as I know, only the heavy duty rams use the 2-input mirror for 2022, and the 1500’s were still using the regular digital mirror that only has the input for the CHMSL camera.

rdugedug1

Reaction score
Hey Doug, can you possibly post pictures of this said Kit? I am now going back and forth with the dealer. I have a 2022 1500 Limited with the surround view system and advanced safety system, when I ordered my truck I opted out of the trailer camera prep kit, and I was told that I could always have it added later (with labor costs added of course). Mind you, I ordered my truck with the 3.92 gears and the tow mirrors because I am towing a 7x16 for snowmobiling and atvs, so I have every intention of towing. Well, I recently decided that I would like a camera on the back of my trailer. I called the dealership to get a quote to have the trailer camera prep kit installed and they are telling me this is not an option or a kit that can be installed on my truck. This is pretty frustrating since I was told I could always have it added later, and it shows it as an option for 1500's when you build on ram trucks website . Does your kit have a 12 pin connector instead of the 7pin and 4pin? If so, can you take pictures? Does this said 12 Pin connector accept a regular 7 pin connector that I currently have on my trailer? Thanks!
The kit is listed on my rap sheet as "XFQ Mopar trlr Camera wiring/no camera" and it was factory installed ($590 option). The original 4 pin/7 pin on the bumper is still there and functioning. The kit added another 7pin port with the 12 pin port to a bracket mount below the bumper. So yes, I now have (2) 7 pin connection points on my truck, bloody brilliant.....jk

After searching many posts and Google, I have found the camera PN and to my disappointment, its an analog camera. Digital is not possible with this kit, VERY frustrating in this day and age. Not to mention, the camera kit (82216068AD I believe) is $650-700 if you can find it. In total, I would have a $1300 sketch analog camera, thanks RAM!

The ports are independent, the 12 pin is strictly for adding one or two cameras to your trailer and does not accept a 7 pin. This camera ONLY works with the uconnect screen and I believe it will show tailgate or aux camera when put in reverse.

Knowing what I know now, I would see where tailgate camera plugs in when tailgate is removed to see how accessible it is. If tolerable, I would purchase the much cheaper digital tailgate camera, come up with a mount and wiring to extend it to back of trailer and just switch plugs when towing. I haven't pursued either option yet and my towing season is almost over for the year.

PS, truck is at home so I can't get a pic of the plug here.

6of36

Reaction score
The kit is listed on my rap sheet as "XFQ Mopar trlr Camera wiring/no camera" and it was factory installed ($590 option). The original 4 pin/7 pin on the bumper is still there and functioning. The kit added another 7pin port with the 12 pin port to a bracket mount below the bumper. So yes, I now have (2) 7 pin connection points on my truck, bloody brilliant.....jk

After searching many posts and Google, I have found the camera PN and to my disappointment, its an analog camera. Digital is not possible with this kit, VERY frustrating in this day and age. Not to mention, the camera kit (82216068AD I believe) is $650-700 if you can find it. In total, I would have a $1300 sketch analog camera, thanks RAM!

The ports are independent, the 12 pin is strictly for adding one or two cameras to your trailer and does not accept a 7 pin. This camera ONLY works with the uconnect screen and I believe it will show tailgate or aux camera when put in reverse.

Knowing what I know now, I would see where tailgate camera plugs in when tailgate is removed to see how accessible it is. If tolerable, I would purchase the much cheaper digital tailgate camera, come up with a mount and wiring to extend it to back of trailer and just switch plugs when towing. I haven't pursued either option yet and my towing season is almost over for the year.

PS, truck is at home so I can't get a pic of the plug here.
The tailgate camera, still only shows in the radio screen. To show in the mirror, you have to have the 2 input mirror, and the other trailer camera wiring.

rdugedug1

Reaction score
The tailgate camera, still only shows in the radio screen. To show in the mirror, you have to have the 2 input mirror, and the other trailer camera wiring.
Correct. I do not have the digital mirror, I am only interested in displaying the aux camera on the 12" screen.

20231018_160706.jpg 20231018_160700.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread