5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Input for external trailer camera? Where is it? Pics?

John Galt

Reaction score
I just picked up my 2023 Limited which has 2 aux inputs for cameras, but I can’t figure out where those cameras connect. I can see “aux1” and “aux2” in camera selection but I can’t find a single picture (or even in the manual) where the external trailer camera would plug in.

I‘ve also been told that when towing a trailer this trailer camera can be used to feed my digital rear view mirror….but I don’t see ant place to connect. I see the two trailer connectors on the passenger side of the license plate. I see the little port to release the spare….but no place where I would plug in an external camera let alone two of them…

can anyone shed some light on this?

John Galt

Reaction score
Ok I found a video and it looks like my truck doesn‘t have it?? Even though the inputs are enabled in Uconnect. That’s werid.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok I found a video and it looks like my truck doesn‘t have it?? Even though the inputs are enabled in Uconnect. That’s werid.
That's why I refused the truck I ordered. It was missing trailer surround plug. It would be a 7&12 pin instead of the 7&4 pin. Not available any more except on a Rebel, which makes no sense.

John Galt

Reaction score
That's why I refused the truck I ordered. It was missing trailer surround plug. It would be a 7&12 pin instead of the 7&4 pin. Not available any more except on a Rebel, which makes no sense.
This is DIFFERENT than the trailer surround. Trailer surround goes into your uconnect display. It turns off when you start driving. I’m talking about a camera that plugs into the digital rear view - it has its own input port And does not connect to uconnect. It works when you’re driving but only to the mirror.

6of36

Reaction score
This is DIFFERENT than the trailer surround. Trailer surround goes into your uconnect display. It turns off when you start driving. I’m talking about a camera that plugs into the digital rear view - it has its own input port And does not connect to uconnect. It works when you’re driving but only to the mirror.
It's the same plug. Neither uses all 12 pins.

John Galt

Reaction score
It's the same plug. Neither uses all 12 pins.
Then maybe I DO have it and I’m looking in the wrong place.

I have 2 plugs on the passenger side of the license plate, but nothing on the driver’s side like in that video.

6of36

Reaction score
The video is different than what I have seen. The setup I saw, had the 7 pin and the 12 pin together on the same side, with no 4 pin at all. If the truck doesn't have it, there is a 7 pin and a 4 pin together.

John Galt

Reaction score
Update: it looks like the “trailer camera prop kit” was unavailable at the time of order…,,which explains why I don’t see it. However I do have the tow package including trailer TPMS which is part of the same harness from what I can tell.

so now I have 2 questions……can I add that trailer camera prep kit after the fact? Is there something better I SHOULD get that will display on my digital rear view mirror?

Im also not entirely sure if that trailer camera prep package routes video to the mirror or the Uconnect display…..anybody know?

what I really want is to be able to plug a trailer camera into my truck and have the video show up on my digital rearview mirror….how do I make that happen?

6of36

Reaction score
Update: it looks like the “trailer camera prop kit” was unavailable at the time of order…,,which explains why I don’t see it. However I do have the tow package including trailer TPMS which is part of the same harness from what I can tell.

so now I have 2 questions……can I add that trailer camera prep kit after the fact? Is there something better I SHOULD get that will display on my digital rear view mirror?

Im also not entirely sure if that trailer camera prep package routes video to the mirror or the Uconnect display…..anybody know?

what I really want is to be able to plug a trailer camera into my truck and have the video show up on my digital rearview mirror….how do I make that happen?
I tried asking Jimmy07, the electrical expert, about adding, and never got an answer. I refused a Limited I ordered because the system was missing. I wanted the trailer surround, which uses the same plug. If I could just get a harness and reprogram, I would buy the truck. From what I have found so far, you have to hack apart the harness and rewire things. I won't do that. If you hear otherwise, and find out there is a plug and play harness, PM me, I will go buy that truck.

John Galt

Reaction score
I tried asking Jimmy07, the electrical expert, about adding, and never got an answer. I refused a Limited I ordered because the system was missing. I wanted the trailer surround, which uses the same plug. If I could just get a harness and reprogram, I would buy the truck. From what I have found so far, you have to hack apart the harness and rewire things. I won't do that. If you hear otherwise, and find out there is a plug and play harness, PM me, I will go buy that truck.
What I’ve seen so far is that if you have trail tpms it may just be a single cable with connectors at both ends that plugs into the same harness the tpms is on. Still looking into it.

Jimmy did help quite a bit on the telematics module….haven’t done it yet but I probably will…..I might ask a mechanic to pull the glove boxes for me just so I don’t screw up the interior but I’m going to disable it via alfaobd when I get back to the US. Looks like I can just yank all the cables out, bypass the gps antenna so it goes straight to Uconnect, and tell the computer I don’t have a telematics module so it doesn’t keep bothering me about it (some geographies do not have telematics so the truck CAN function without it.

The main problem in the US is Federal law says if you put in any kind of cellular system you must provide 911 service. FCA has to. I don’t have to keep it or use it And there are countries where thats not the law so it can be disabled but dealers won’t because they can get in trouble with the feds.

6of36

Reaction score
What I’ve seen so far is that if you have trail tpms it may just be a single cable with connectors at both ends that plugs into the same harness the tpms is on. Still looking into it.

Jimmy did help quite a bit on the telematics module….haven’t done it yet but I probably will…..I might ask a mechanic to pull the glove boxes for me just so I don’t screw up the interior but I’m going to disable it via alfaobd when I get back to the US. Looks like I can just yank all the cables out, bypass the gps antenna so it goes straight to Uconnect, and tell the computer I don’t have a telematics module so it doesn’t keep bothering me about it (some geographies do not have telematics so the truck CAN function without it.

The main problem in the US is Federal law says if you put in any kind of cellular system you must provide 911 service. FCA has to. I don’t have to keep it or use it And there are countries where thats not the law so it can be disabled but dealers won’t because they can get in trouble with the feds.
If you find out for sure, and have a part number, please let me know. My truck that I ordered exactly how I wanted, except for the missing plug, is still on the lot. It will probably be there a while, because the sticker is over 83,000, and they had a pretty much identical 22, except it had a diesel, which the fumes make me ill, so I couldn't get, sitting until a couple weeks ago.

John Galt

Reaction score
If you find out for sure, and have a part number, please let me know. My truck that I ordered exactly how I wanted, except for the missing plug, is still on the lot. It will probably be there a while, because the sticker is over 83,000, and they had a pretty much identical 22, except it had a diesel, which the fumes make me ill, so I couldn't get, sitting until a couple weeks ago.
I will…..it’ll be a couple of weeks before I can dig into it but I will.

just to be clear, trailer surround and tow mode camera are 2 totally different things. I’m investigating digital tow mode.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First, let’s clear some things up so we know exactly which cameras you want to have, because three completely different camera systems are being talked about/confused/mashed together in this thread:
1) AUX 1 and AUX2- displayed on the radio screen, and would use the “mopar trailer camera prep kit”. This is a prep that includes the 12-way trailer connector.
2) Trailer Surround view- this will show up in the radio with soft keys “trailer surround” and “aux 2”. This system also uses a 12-way trailer connector which also includes canbus wiring and a trailer gateway prepped on the truck side.
3) Tow mode camera kit. THIS is what I believe you want to do. This kit plugs into a single coax port that would be on the driver side of the license plate, and it displays in the digital rear view mirror automatically when it is plugged in (and you can switch between the tow mode camera view and CHMSL rear camera view in the digital mirror).
If your truck does not have that port on the bumper, but does have a mirror with the two inputs, you can easily add the wiring to the truck. You would need a 30’ length of fakra z female to female RG58 coax cable, and the bumper port (can’t find the part number off hand). You connect one end of the coax to the tow mode camera input on the mirror, and run it to the rear bumper and plug it into the back of the bumper port that you would install. Then you need to tow mode camera kit, and you just install that on your trailer and plug it into the bumper port.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is the coax connector that installs on the driver side of the license plate- 68508681AA

This is the tow mode camera kit- 68527599AA

This is the 30’ of cable that will work for the truck side to the mirror:

John Galt

Reaction score
First, let’s clear some things up so we know exactly which cameras you want to have, because three completely different camera systems are being talked about/confused/mashed together in this thread:
1) AUX 1 and AUX2- displayed on the radio screen, and would use the “mopar trailer camera prep kit”. This is a prep that includes the 12-way trailer connector.
2) Trailer Surround view- this will show up in the radio with soft keys “trailer surround” and “aux 2”. This system also uses a 12-way trailer connector which also includes canbus wiring and a trailer gateway prepped on the truck side.
3) Tow mode camera kit. THIS is what I believe you want to do. This kit plugs into a single coax port that would be on the driver side of the license plate, and it displays in the digital rear view mirror automatically when it is plugged in (and you can switch between the tow mode camera view and CHMSL rear camera view in the digital mirror).
If your truck does not have that port on the bumper, but does have a mirror with the two inputs, you can easily add the wiring to the truck. You would need a 30’ length of fakra z female to female RG58 coax cable, and the bumper port (can’t find the part number off hand). You connect one end of the coax to the tow mode camera input on the mirror, and run it to the rear bumper and plug it into the back of the bumper port that you would install. Then you need to tow mode camera kit, and you just install that on your trailer and plug it into the bumper port.
YES you are correct. I’m looking for the digital tow mode camera input. My truck DOES have the digital mirror. Thank you!

if I’m going to add the wiring myself can I set it up to use a different camera system like a Furion wireless so I can just plug in the reciever but not need to run a cable all the way to the other end of the trailer?

Last edited:

John Galt

Reaction score
This is the coax connector that installs on the driver side of the license plate- 68508681AA

This is the tow mode camera kit- 68527599AA

This is the 30’ of cable that will work for the truck side to the mirror:
You’re the best!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
if I’m going to add the wiring myself can I set it up to use a different camera system like a Furion wireless so I can just plug in the reciever but not need to run a cable all the way to the other end of the trailer?
No. The digital camera specifically for the mirror is the only camera that the digital mirror is capable of displaying.
Also, are you sure you have a digital mirror that has the second input? As far as I know, only the heavy duty rams use the 2-input mirror for 2022, and the 1500’s were still using the regular digital mirror that only has the input for the CHMSL camera.

John Galt

Reaction score
No. The digital camera specifically for the mirror is the only camera that the digital mirror is capable of displaying.
Also, are you sure you have a digital mirror that has the second input? As far as I know, only the heavy duty rams use the 2-input mirror for 2022, and the 1500’s were still using the regular digital mirror that only has the input for the CHMSL camera.
maybe I don’t then…..I assumed it was the same as the HD. still cool but less useful without a second input for the trailer.

this is whatever comes on the 1500 Limited digital mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread