5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In-Bed Molle Panels

Quick disconnect or no quick disconnect mounting option

• Quick disconnect

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Permanent mount

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

jfelten029

Reaction score
Awesome. You make it, price it reasonable, and I will be ordering at least the front panel and likely a side too. Haven’t seen a good option for my rotopax gear or traction boards yet, so I won’t (and likely plenty of others) have any option but to give you my money...
Awesome! Sounds good! We’re looking at materials right now to determine the most durability and most cost effective for potential customers. What traction boards do you use? I use orchish boards but they have a different hole pattern than maxttax. Gotta look into that a bit more on our end. We’re trying to design the panels in a way that’s accommodating to many different mounting options.

AZHUND

Reaction score
Awesome! Sounds good! We’re looking at materials right now to determine the most durability and most cost effective for potential customers. What traction boards do you use? I use orchish boards but they have a different hole pattern than maxttax. Gotta look into that a bit more on our end. We’re trying to design the panels in a way that’s accommodating to many different mounting options.
ARB TRED Pro's are my traction boards (most my gear is shared with my Jeep, so lots of ARB, WARN, and Rotopax taking up space in my garage). They are easy to mount as have holes that give good options for where to strap to just about anything so not too worried about getting those to hook on. Rotopax mounting is the hard one as you probably know since it needs to safely hold some explosive liquid straight up while going over bumps... so ideally all four bolt holes (two supposedly is fine, but I would rather have all four to remove all doubt) lined up and in a spot where the 2 gallon jugs are not too high (to interfere with cover) or too low (so won't fit)... goodluck with the project.

Scotsmangav

Reaction score
I’m interested for my 2019 Rebel - front & side panels. Mounting on utility rails so you could tilt them up over wheel arch & slide them in/out as a unit & maybe clip onto load anchor points at bottom ?

Night Rebel

Reaction score
It would be nice to use the screw that hold the cargo management system. Might longer bolts but somehow could work.

jfelten029

Reaction score
It would be nice to use the screw that hold the cargo management system. Might longer bolts but somehow could work.
It will either be bolts that will holding it in that can be loosened or removed to remove the panel. Or we are looking at using a quarter turn dzus fitting to make a quick disconnect feature.

Night Rebel

Reaction score
Ni
It will either be bolts that will holding it in that can be loosened or removed to remove the panel. Or we are looking at using a quarter turn dzus fitting to make a quick disconnect feature.
Nice. Definitely would be great to be able to remove.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
If I’m being honest I didn’t realize this was the 1500 section! Sorry! But yes, all panels will have sections for rotopax. The main panel will hopefully fit 4 rotopax. 1500’s should require less drilling if we can utilize the OEM rails (which we will be doing). We will begin the 1500 design soon. First we have to get the prototype done to solidify design concepts.

HD Rams Forum <— Bet these guys would love to hear about this also and have thoughts/input for you too.

MacFly

Reaction score
Dude, you stole my idea! But, I'm kinda glad you did. This has been on my to-do list for a long time, and I don't know if I'd ever have gotten around to it. As a survival instructor/WFR and aspiring SAR tracker, I LOVE the idea of being able to secure my gear to the side panels. Assuming I do get one of these trucks (I'm pretty much sold), I'd be happy to test some prototypes for you... :sneaky:

Bufo

Reaction score
I’d be interested if the 1500 model comes out eventually.

Chieffreeze

Reaction score
Hello, I just found this discussion so sorry for the new suggestion. Why worry about all the other manufacturers and getting their permission or specs? Here is my suggestion. Attach your system to an adjustable bar that can adjust either across the bed or from front to the back. Here is another suggestion allow the bar to rotate so that you can get to the front or back of your molle system. Again use heavy duty locking pins to keep it from rotating while driving or securing gear. With this design you can put one or multiples of your system in the bed and with the rotation you can add to the front and back of it. Don't skimp on the adjustable bar. Make it heavy duty but easily rotatable and lockable; maybe ratcheting to give it a secure fit as well as to hold some heavy gear. Use heavy duty push pull locking pins for the rotation. Just suggestions, if you like or use them just help me get some of them.

jfelten029

Reaction score
Alright guys, In what free time I can find at my day job I have been working on the molle panels. The design we are currently playing with uses a 1" high by 1.25" wide piece of aluminum U-channel as the mounting feature between the bed and the molle panel. The u-channel is fastened to the bed using 1/4-20 riv-nuts and 1/4-20 bolts. There will then be a female receptacle for a DZUS quick disconnect fastener rivetted into the u-channel. The quick detach pin will secure the molle panel to the u-channel. On the bottom of the channel, we are playing with hinge designs that will be bolted to the bed with another riv-nut secured to the bed and bolted to the molle panel itself. This is still a work in progress. We are brainstorming ideas to make the entire panel capable of being a quick disconnect from the bed. All of these design concepts are starting with the front bed panel will be transferred to the side bed panels if we feel it will work well. As always, PLEASE let me know of any feedback you all might have!
1600199968770.png
1600199978452.png
1600199984362.png
1600199990402.png
1600200000614.png
1600200014319.png

AZHUND

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of weight to be held up by three QD mounts. At least for me, the ability to remove quickly isn't a feature as I will be leaving it in there until the day I replace the truck (and prefer to it not randomly walk off in a walmart parking lot). Also QD mounts (at least the cheap ones I have for sling mounts) have a little bit of "wiggle" to them which translates to rattling. I would prefer an option to just bolt it on tightly.

jfelten029

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of weight to be held up by three QD mounts. At least for me, the ability to remove quickly isn't a feature as I will be leaving it in there until the day I replace the truck (and prefer to it not randomly walk off in a walmart parking lot). Also QD mounts (at least the cheap ones I have for sling mounts) have a little bit of "wiggle" to them which translates to rattling. I would prefer an option to just bolt it on tightly.
I had the same worry about quick-release mounts but these DZUZ fasteners are used to retain racecar body panels and other motorsport applications, they are not affected by vibration. I am thinking we will probably offer QD panels and permanent panels. We just had multiple people ask about the possibility of a QD panel so we are running with it for a bit. I really appreciate you're opinion on the mounting! Thank you!

jfelten029

Reaction score
The next design will be simplified by simply mounting straight to the bed with riv-nuts

MacFly

Reaction score
I had the same worry about quick-release mounts but these DZUZ fasteners are used to retain racecar body panels and other motorsport applications, they are not affected by vibration. I am thinking we will probably offer QD panels and permanent panels. We just had multiple people ask about the possibility of a QD panel so we are running with it for a bit. I really appreciate you're opinion on the mounting! Thank you!
Nothing wrong with options

jfelten029

Reaction score
Does anyone have CAD for the trucks? I doubt it but thought I would throw it out there. I have requested CAD from FCA but who knows if that.ll pan out or not.

jfelten029

Reaction score
So I think maybe is the pattern we are settling on for the prototype. Military standard molle pattern 1.5"x1" rectangular holes. 5" clearance slots for #10 bolts (quick fists), and 3/8" verticle (1") and horizontal (1.5") for possible traction board and hi-lift mounting. Then 1/4" clearance holes for any other mounting options you may want and also we will use those for future mounting brackets. We still have some dimensions to figure out for the bedside panel but it's getting close. We will start on the long bed panels and ram box panels soon. Thoughts?
1600467412174.png
1600467422663.png

Users who are viewing this thread