5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ignition switched USB ports?

Shives

Reaction score
Well hell, I AM! I miss my constant 12 v source. For example, charging Mavic 2 batteries!
I would love to know this trick, please. Sadly, I’m going to be laid off after the 15th. So, I’m going to have a ton of time to try and do... Thanks! Enjoy Labor Day

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Well hell, I AM! I miss my constant 12 v source. For example, charging Mavic 2 batteries!
I would love to know this trick, please. Sadly, I’m going to be laid off after the 15th. So, I’m going to have a ton of time to try and do... Thanks! Enjoy Labor Day
Definitely!
Underneath the steering wheel you have a big panel. Removing two screws on the bottom of it and the whole thing pops right out.
You just need to move this fuse to this location. Your fuse will be in the right-hand position.

fef776383c18f4c847fff6b8db4b5b25.jpg

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All the USB ports in the dash appear to remain on for at least an hour after the ignition is off. Is there any way to switch them off with the ignition?

I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
RamCares

PMantle

Reaction score
We'll, on the bright side, the dashcam is capturing hours of riveting footage of the garage door.

I've never owned a vehicle that didn't offer at least 1 switched power source at the dash.

How do auto engineers overlook such basic things?
I would never want a switched one.

BTW, the A/C outlet may be switched. I was trying to charge my son's phone during the hurricane, and it would not charge.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
RamCares
Thank you Alison, but since this seems to be designed this way (according to the feedback from others) I don't think Ram service is an option.

I've ordered a micro2 fuse tap to get to some switched power in the fuse panel.

I do appreciate the responsiveness of the RamCares group in this forum. I was a long time Jeep Wrangler owner and frequented numerous Wrangler forums where posters reported quality issues and FCA almost never answered any concerns in the forum.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you Alison, but since this seems to be designed this way (according to the feedback from others) I don't think Ram service is an option.

I've ordered a micro2 fuse tap to get to some switched power in the fuse panel.

I do appreciate the responsiveness of the RamCares group in this forum. I was a long time Jeep Wrangler owner and frequented numerous Wrangler forums where posters reported quality issues and FCA almost never answered any concerns in the forum.

Okay! Please let me know if you need anything else. I would be happy to help!

Alison
RamCares

Htex75

Reaction score
Definitely!
Underneath the steering wheel you have a big panel. Removing two screws on the bottom of it and the whole thing pops right out.
You just need to move this fuse to this location. Your fuse will be in the right-hand position.

View attachment 67927
You guys are amazing! Such a simple fix for an annoying issue. I too had constant power and kept forgetting to turn off my radar detector and it would stay on for 8 hours while I was at work. Literally took 2 minutes to make the change. I took longer trying to find the right size socket to remove the 2 screws. Thank you very much for the useful information.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are amazing! Such a simple fix for an annoying issue. I too had constant power and kept forgetting to turn off my radar detector and it would stay on for 8 hours while I was at work. Literally took 2 minutes to make the change. I took longer trying to find the right size socket to remove the 2 screws. Thank you very much for the useful information.
You're welcome :)

NormAcker

Reaction score
Definitely!

View attachment 67927
My fuse is already in that position, 12v port stays on when ignition is off. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• 20220220_154818_copy_1008x567.jpg
    20220220_154818_copy_1008x567.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 158

NormAcker

Reaction score
Definitely!

View attachment 67927
My fuse is already in that position and my 12v socket is powered when the ignition is off. Am I missing something? Thanks!

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
My fuse is already in that position and my 12v socket is powered when the ignition is off. Am I missing something? Thanks!
This position is the “always on” position. Move it to the other position to have it switched off when ignition is off.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. This one is labeled 54. Where is the other position?
It's kind of like a 3-leg fuse slot.
Your fuse sits like this: Making contact with 1-2-3
You have to move the fuse to sit like this: Making contact with 1-2-3

Here is a how-to video. It's now showing the specific fuse or even the same truck, but you'll see how it's done:

Carlmyman

Reaction score
My fuse is already in that position, 12v port stays on when ignition is off. Am I missing something?
Nope, you're fine if you want your 12v port to stay on when ignition is off. Most came with it in the right hand position which would shut off the power after maybe 10 minutes so as to not kill the battery depending what you leave plugged in.

Vivrosh

Reaction score
I still can't figure out about usb I.did fuse 54 for 12v buy men you have unplug USB device Everytime

Vivrosh

Reaction score
usb stays hot for about an hour

the cigarette type outlet at the top of the dash can be switched to only work when ignition is one by moving the fuse
That's sucks is there anyway limited that time tob15 min or so?

Users who are viewing this thread