5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ignition switched USB ports?

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
All the USB ports in the dash appear to remain on for at least an hour after the ignition is off. Is there any way to switch them off with the ignition?

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Two hours. And no....
We'll, on the bright side, the dashcam is capturing hours of riveting footage of the garage door.

I've never owned a vehicle that didn't offer at least 1 switched power source at the dash.

How do auto engineers overlook such basic things?

Rossum

Reaction score
I've never owned a vehicle that didn't offer at least 1 switched power source at the dash.
Really? I've owned plenty of older vehicles that never shut off their 12V lighter sockets at all. They only went to switched power when people started leaving phone chargers plugged into those outlets and complaining that their vehicle's batteries were dying. Of course doing that that causes other people to complain that they can't charge their phones without turning on the ignition, thereby putting much more of a load on the battery than the charger alone would. I've even seen some vehicles that have two fuse positions for the power outlet(s). You put the fuse in one spot to get switched power and a different spot to have 'em on all the time.

How do auto engineers overlook such basic things?
They didn't overlook it. Like any other engineering decision, leaving the power on for an hour or two after the ignition is turned off is a compromise. It allows devices to be charged without the added load of all the other stuff that's powered up when the ignition is on, while still protecting the the vehicle's battery from going flat if you leave something plugged in when you park it for a week or two. The chosen compromise just doesn't fit your particular use-case a very well. No compromise pleases everyone.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Really? I've owned plenty of older vehicles that never shut off their 12V lighter sockets at all. They only went to switched power when people started leaving phone chargers plugged into those outlets and complaining that their vehicle's batteries were dying. Of course doing that that causes other people to complain that they can't charge their phones without turning on the ignition, thereby putting much more of a load on the battery than the charger alone would. I've even seen some vehicles that have two fuse positions for the power outlet(s). You put the fuse in one spot to get switched power and a different spot to have 'em on all the time.

They didn't overlook it. Like any other engineering decision, leaving the power on for an hour or two after the ignition is turned off is a compromise. It allows devices to be charged without the added load of all the other stuff that's powered up when the ignition is on, while still protecting the the vehicle's battery from going flat if you leave something plugged in when you park it for a week or two. The chosen compromise just doesn't fit your particular use-case a very well. No compromise pleases everyone.
Ah yes sorry, I'm speaking of modern vehicles. I agree that my 1970's and 80's cars and truck didn't have the modern wonders of ignition switched power.

My last 3 Chrysler vehicles had ignition switched power.

I've ordered a micro2 fuse takeoff to get the unused switched power available in the fuse panel inside the dash. So it's designed in, but the interior design engineer decided to not take it to the dash.

Too bad it's not as easy to work around as the poor placement of the oil filter and drain plug.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
One hour actually (according to my service manual. I’ll see if I can find it. Saw it a few months ago). No way to change this (at least not w/o OBD tools perhaps).

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
by the way, you said you are looking for a switched power source. You can use the 12v cigarette outlet, it's switched and you can actually change that to be hot all the time or only when the truck is on.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
by the way, you said you are looking for a switched power source. You can use the 12v cigarette outlet, it's switched and you can actually change that to be hot all the time or only when the truck is on.
Thanks.

Rossum

Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. I only talked about normal methods. EVIC, Infotainment etc...
Well, when I get my truck, I'll have a look. I'm new to RAM/FCA, but if you knew my background, you'd understand that I would not consider tweaking something via the OBD port unusual at all. :D

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Well, when I get my truck, I'll have a look. I'm new to RAM/FCA, but if you knew my background, you'd understand that I would not consider tweaking something via the OBD port unusual at all. :D
Lol...
For me, If there's no tweaking involved, I'm out.. I like to spice things up :D ;)
Anyway, To switch the outlet operation is a very easy process of moving one of the fuses. You don't even have to do that unless someone changed it before, It's default mode is ACC/ON only.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Lol...
For me, If there's no tweaking involved, I'm out.. I like to spice things up :D ;)
Anyway, To switch the outlet operation is a very easy process of moving one of the fuses. You don't even have to do that unless someone changed it before, It's default mode is ACC/ON only.
I think that's only an option for the 12v on top of the dash rather than the USB outlets. But I'll give it a try.

Shives

Reaction score
Lol...
Wait what do you mean? The outlet on top on the dash above the radio you can switch to be constant power?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I think that's only an option for the 12v on top of the dash rather than the USB outlets. But I'll give it a try.
Correct. Only for the 12v outlet on top of the radio bezel. You can get a dual USB adapter and use it instead of the USB ports...

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
Correct. Only for the 12v outlet on top of the radio bezel. You can get a dual USB adapter and use it instead of the USB ports...
Yeah, I'm not wanting to permanently leave something plugged into that socket on top of the dash and have the wires running from it. The USB port at the bottom of the dash is unobtrusive.

Users who are viewing this thread