5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you've had the rear window leak...

Rando

Reaction score
Just got my letter as well, I think the value of this extension is if you had a major leak that also damaged your headliner, it could be worth the fix there. The fact they will deny your warranty if you fixed it yourself seems to counter the letter? I guess they mean repaired by the dealership instead of DIY if that's the case.
I know right?!? And now I wasted my time uploading a part invoice, receipts, shipping info and credit card statement to “show” I paid for it. Only to be emailed be a “care” agent to be told hey where’s your certified dealer repair order. I think they spent more on labor denying it than they would have to just cut me a $40 check. Oh well kinda funny in way. Luckily I was able to use carpet cleaner to remove most of the stain.

Just wanted to warn others so no one else wastes their time.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know right?!? And now I wasted my time uploading a part invoice, receipts, shipping info and credit card statement to “show” I paid for it. Only to be emailed be a “care” agent to be told hey where’s your certified dealer repair order. I think they spent more on labor denying it than they would have to just cut me a $40 check. Oh well kinda funny in way. Luckily I was able to use carpet cleaner to remove most of the stain.

Just wanted to warn others so no one else wastes their time.
Bean counters gotta’ count…

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'm hearing that RAM will now void your warranty if you ever drive in rain.... :p
Oh, all you poor RAM owners should just buy a Ferd…
On second thought, maybe not: ”The Ford f150 sunroof recall is one of the most controversial recalls in automotive history. The issue itself is a relatively minor problem and an easy fix.
In the rest of this blog post, I will tell you all you need to know about this recall. Read on.

Does the Ford F150 have a Recall on the Sunroof?​

The Ford F-150 is not immune to recalls. Ford has issued a recall for the sunroof on the Ford F-150. The recall was issued due to the possibility of a leak in the sunroof or even detaching from the Pickup.

The recall affects 2014 and 2017 models of F-150s equipped with single-pane panoramic sunroofs. The problem was discovered after some customers reported water leaks in their vehicles, while others say they detached from the pickup.” Portion of article quoted from F150advisor.com

and…
(Excerpt taken from f150gen14.com, post dated Sept 14, 2022):
“So like many people, my new 2021 developed a severe leak from the sunroof. I never left it open but it would regularly leak all over my seat and floor mat. The microphone on the roof essentially became a funnel for all the water build-up. I read multiple forums and everyone suggested cleaning the drain, well I ran a weedwhacker cord through almost the whole thing but still, no water would drain. After trying compressed air and a few more weedwhacker cord attempts I decided to tear it apart. I kind of went overboard and took too much apart but I did find an issue with the drain tube.

Near the exit point, the drain tube was pinched behind another part, it was difficult to see what exactly was compressing it but once I gave it a few tugs it freed up and a rush of water ran through the drain. Hopefully, this will be the end of the flooded interior!” (End of quoted portion)

Lest anyone think I am a blue oval hater, I owned a 2015 F150 with the 2.7. that’s an amazingly strong engine. I still have a 2014 Edge that’s been a really good car, unfortunately it has the 3.5 Duratech engine with the internal water pump, thats a $1700 repair at Ford, just for a water pump. 🤔💰😮

PatriotLonghorn

Reaction score
I've got an APPT for my '21 at a local dealer on the 18th. I'll post up an update/resolution when done. It's just inside warranty, so should be covered. Also with mine, the rear defrost is busted on the slider, so they are going to look at that as well. Just bought this thing from a dealer, 1 owner, so no idea if this window has been replaced/repaired already.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Oh, all you poor RAM owners should just buy a Ferd…
On second thought, maybe not: ”The Ford f150 sunroof recall is one of the most controversial recalls in automotive history. The issue itself is a relatively minor problem and an easy fix.
In the rest of this blog post, I will tell you all you need to know about this recall. Read on.

Does the Ford F150 have a Recall on the Sunroof?​

The Ford F-150 is not immune to recalls. Ford has issued a recall for the sunroof on the Ford F-150. The recall was issued due to the possibility of a leak in the sunroof or even detaching from the Pickup.

The recall affects 2014 and 2017 models of F-150s equipped with single-pane panoramic sunroofs. The problem was discovered after some customers reported water leaks in their vehicles, while others say they detached from the pickup.” Portion of article quoted from F150advisor.com

and…
(Excerpt taken from f150gen14.com, post dated Sept 14, 2022):
“So like many people, my new 2021 developed a severe leak from the sunroof. I never left it open but it would regularly leak all over my seat and floor mat. The microphone on the roof essentially became a funnel for all the water build-up. I read multiple forums and everyone suggested cleaning the drain, well I ran a weedwhacker cord through almost the whole thing but still, no water would drain. After trying compressed air and a few more weedwhacker cord attempts I decided to tear it apart. I kind of went overboard and took too much apart but I did find an issue with the drain tube.

Near the exit point, the drain tube was pinched behind another part, it was difficult to see what exactly was compressing it but once I gave it a few tugs it freed up and a rush of water ran through the drain. Hopefully, this will be the end of the flooded interior!” (End of quoted portion)

Lest anyone think I am a blue oval hater, I owned a 2015 F150 with the 2.7. that’s an amazingly strong engine. I still have a 2014 Edge that’s been a really good car, unfortunately it has the 3.5 Duratech engine with the internal water pump, thats a $1700 repair at Ford, just for a water pump. 🤔💰😮

You should check out the Silverado forums, I use to be there a lot when the wife had a 2020 Silverado, but switched to a 2022 Tahoe. She didn't have the issue, but they have just as big an issue with rear window leaking, since both GM and Stellantis uses the same rear window design. Even to this day, they are still having rear window leak issues on new Silverado/Sierras.

On a side note, same as you, I also had a 2015 2.7L, loved that engine, no issues. But yeah, would not like to pay for future repairs out of warranty.

mowjoeram

Reaction score
And does this fix the leak? Has anyone had a solid rear glass leak? Thanks for the info!
I told the dealership to bend someone else over. Keep the window in tact and squeeze foam insulation rope to fill the cavity on the outside then caulk with exterior dynaflex ultra. Make sure to mask off to make clean beads. This is really the only cost effective way to make this permanent. All the other people that have had there window replaced end up doing it again around 1-2 years

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I told the dealership to bend someone else over. Keep the window in tact and squeeze foam insulation rope to fill the cavity on the outside then caulk with exterior dynaflex ultra. Make sure to mask off to make clean beads. This is really the only cost effective way to make this permanent. All the other people that have had there window replaced end up doing it again around 1-2 years
Some people have had the problem return but you have no way of knowing that everyone who has had their window replaced had to do it again. That's a pretty wild claim.

Your fix has been suggested by others, and sounds effective. I'll keep that in mind if our replacement window leaks in the future after the extended manufacturer warranty expires. But until then I'll have the window replaced. Having visible cracks on the inside of the rear window frame can't help when it comes time to sell the truck now that the problem is so well known. If I was buying a used Ram it's one of the first things I'd look for. Even if the seller tells me he fixed it himself I'd be worried about it leaking during the next rain storm.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is pretty much correct.

mowjoeram

Reaction score
Some people have had the problem return but you have no way of knowing that everyone who has had their window replaced had to do it again. That's a pretty wild claim.

Your fix has been suggested by others, and sounds effective. I'll keep that in mind if our replacement window leaks in the future after the extended manufacturer warranty expires. But until then I'll have the window replaced. Having visible cracks on the inside of the rear window frame can't help when it comes time to sell the truck now that the problem is so well known. If I was buying a used Ram it's one of the first things I'd look for. Even if the seller tells me he fixed it himself I'd be worried about it leaking during the next rain storm.
Keep in mind that extended warranties do not cover the replacement of the back window if it's leaking.

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
Lest anyone think I am a blue oval hater, I owned a 2015 F150 with the 2.7.

I drove F150s for 20 years prior to owning the Ram. They always claimed they were the quietest truck on the road, but they left out that they are likely also the wettest. :) Everything leaked. The sunroof, the antenna, third brake light, rear window. The sunroof would leak so much water when the drain hose got clogged that the entire wire-harness channel along the floor was full to capacity with water. The most comical one was that I blew a bulb for my brakes one day and when I went to investigate I found the tail light housing was half full of water. I coulda had a goldfish in there. :)

1stRamPickup

Reaction score
After only 2 years and 10,000 miles I got rid of my problem 2021 ram 1500 limited. It was my first and last ram pickup. All vehicles have issues. Not all car companies take responsibility for poor design or manufacturing. And before you say I am bashing ram or hate me, I have had 3 other mopar vehicles without any major issues.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
After only 2 years and 10,000 miles I got rid of my problem 2021 ram 1500 limited. It was my first and last ram pickup. All vehicles have issues. Not all car companies take responsibility for poor design or manufacturing. And before you say I am bashing ram or hate me, I have had 3 other mopar vehicles without any major issues.

qEBlgZpZWHihO.gif

yellowboy

Reaction score
My first and last too, burning a quart of oil every 1700 miles, rear window replaced twice, noises up the ying yang, on and on it goes, ..........these trucks are junk and dealers are no better.

The only reason I have it is because I have an extended warranty and can't decide what to replace it with yet . Will trade it , not sell it because I won't directly stick someone with a Ram. Please no whining from Ram lover crybabies !!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that extended warranties do not cover the replacement of the back window if it's leaking.
I'm not talking about extended service plans (extended warranty). I'm talking about the original warranty extension Ram announced last year for the rear window and for the CHMSL.

Attachments

• backlite.pdf
    307.4 KB · Views: 45
  • chmsl.pdf
    62.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

speedracernc

Reaction score
So my 2019 ram is leaking with a crack in the backlite. I was told my vin was not included in the repair. I have a very early truck that was built in late 2018 for Delivery in February 2019. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't seem to get anywhere with customer service because they just repeat the case is closed and they won't cover the repair. I am not sure what else to do. I put my vin in at safelite and they state replacement costs only $500. I don't want to pay it but I also don't want water to keep leaking in my truck.
If anyone else had this problem please PM me with what I should do.
Thanks

yellowboy

Reaction score
So my 2019 ram is leaking with a crack in the backlite. I was told my vin was not included in the repair. I have a very early truck that was built in late 2018 for Delivery in February 2019. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't seem to get anywhere with customer service because they just repeat the case is closed and they won't cover the repair. I am not sure what else to do. I put my vin in at safelite and they state replacement costs only $500. I don't want to pay it but I also don't want water to keep leaking in my truck.
If anyone else had this problem please PM me with what I should do.
Thanks
The extended warranty covers all 2019 through 2021 for 8 years / 150,000 miles. Dealers are idiots

Users who are viewing this thread