5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If the 5.7 Hemi goes away in 2024, I'm out of the RAM

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For what it's worth, it also looks like the 2025's will have "smartphone as a key". I'm seeing that listed in the 2025 build sheets.

This all depends on implementation. If it requires a special monthly plan they can stuff it. We've had painless entry/start figured out for a long time, none of which has required a plan to use. Toyota is already pulling this stunt with remote start.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This all depends on implementation. If it requires a special monthly plan they can stuff it. We've had painless entry/start figured out for a long time, none of which has required a plan to use. Toyota is already pulling this stunt with remote start.
My wife’s ‘21 Lincoln Navigator has this feature. No subscription required, it’s free with the app. I absolutely love it - I don’t have to carry around a fob for her vehicle. Just walk up and unlock/start. Ram is a couple of years behind on implementing this.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My wife’s ‘21 Lincoln Navigator has this feature. No subscription required, it’s free with the app. I absolutely love it - I don’t have to carry around a fob for her vehicle. Just walk up and unlock/start. Ram is a couple of years behind on implementing this.
Most vehicles built today are behind on implementing this. Not many vehicles offer it as an option

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
For what it's worth, it also looks like the 2025's will have "smartphone as a key". I'm seeing that listed in the 2025 build sheets.

Bought my wife a 2023 Telluride and this feature is very convenient. It works like you’re using “tap to pay” at a register. Would be nice to see cars moving this direction.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
Pretty sure I'm not a fan. As if anyone needs yet another reason to be tethered to your device.
It’s just nice to have one less thing in my pockets. Phone, wallet, gun. I agree that phones are very annoying with how connected everything is. Man, do I miss the days of having a desktop computer and a flip phone.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Pretty sure I'm not a fan. As if anyone needs yet another reason to be tethered to your device.
While this is a good point - the feature is a win. On our Tesla it was awesome not having to get out keys or carry one around. The opposite can be said of the Wrangler keys, which are pretty much the size of a computer mouse.

Scram1500

Reaction score
It’s just nice to have one less thing in my pockets. Phone, wallet, gun. I agree that phones are very annoying with how connected everything is. Man, do I miss the days of having a desktop computer and a flip phone.
The gun wallet phone is on my "next thing to invent" list

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While this is a good point - the feature is a win. On our Tesla it was awesome not having to get out keys or carry one around. The opposite can be said of the Wrangler keys, which are pretty much the size of a computer mouse.
I get the whole convenience part of it. That's how they get you. I'd much rather have a de-tech'd vehicle that's purely mechanical. My 2 cents.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I get the whole convenience part of it. That's how they get you. I'd much rather have a de-tech'd vehicle that's purely mechanical. My 2 cents.
That ship has sailed lol we aren't far off from everything having V2V/C-V2X, then the privacy invasion can really begin.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So 2025 gets the Hurricane I-6, keeps the 8HP75 trans, adds a few updates to infotainment, mirrors, trim, etc. Big question is will they use the Pentastar as the base engine, or the Hemi? Or will they keep both and Hurricane is an option on Laramie and above? I think that'll be the next big question...what is the engine lineup as a whole going to be when Hurricane shows up 12 months from now on the order guide.

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I saw your video on it, good stuff. In my own personal opinion I believe Ram needs more than just a base 6 cylinder, 5.7 and High Output Turbo 6. I think GM does it best with 2-V8's, a diesel, and a turbocharged engine. Ford too with a V8, two turbocharged engines (could be considered 3 but the H/O 3.5 is only available on Limiteds and Raptors), a hybrid and a n/a V6.

Tundra and Nissan are the opposite with only one engine choice each, V8 for the Titan, turbo 6 for the Tundra. Who's approach is best? The sales numbers don't lie, Nissan and Tundra are at the bottom and it isn't close. I think people want choices.

silver billet

Reaction score
I saw your video on it, good stuff. In my own personal opinion I believe Ram needs more than just a base 6 cylinder, 5.7 and High Output Turbo 6. I think GM does it best with 2-V8's, a diesel, and a turbocharged engine. Ford too with a V8, two turbocharged engines (could be considered 3 but the H/O 3.5 is only available on Limiteds and Raptors), a hybrid and a n/a V6.

Tundra and Nissan are the opposite with only one engine choice each, V8 for the Titan, turbo 6 for the Tundra. Who's approach is best? The sales numbers don't lie, Nissan and Tundra are at the bottom and it isn't close. I think people want choices.

I'm not 100% happy with any of these guys. I want a tradesman/bighorn style truck (entry level) with the biggest v8 or a diesel. I don't think GM offers this, with chevy canada for example you need to move up to the rst trim before the 6.2 is available. Their diesel is available in the cheaper custom trail boss though.

They're all playing the con game. Its one reason I'm looking at heavy duty trucks next as half tons are just stupidly pricey station wagons at this point.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I agree, and I think that would be the best approach. But, the parent company of Ram doesn't appear to agree. I look at the Jeep Wrangler and I see a turbo-4, V6, V8, and turbo diesel. And then I think holy cow...the Ram 1500 doesn't even have that level of option. They have sold a ton of 5th Gen Rams but I wonder how much farther they could have pushed if they had offered more powertrains.

IF they do totally axe the Hemi in 2025 it will be very interesting to see how sales respond. I think Ford was a little surprised that 5 years after they dropped the EcoBoost the Coyote was still outselling it. That made a statement. Where Ram is at a disadvantage is that their parent company doesn't have the portfolio Ford has, and that means they have less flexibility in what they can offer due to EPA fines. I guess we'll see....

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I'm not 100% happy with any of these guys. I want a tradesman/bighorn style truck (entry level) with the biggest v8 or a diesel. I don't think GM offers this, with chevy canada for example you need to move up to the rst trim before the 6.2 is available. Their diesel is available in the cheaper custom trail boss though.

They're all playing the con game. Its one reason I'm looking at heavy duty trucks next as half tons are just stupidly pricey station wagons at this point.
Can't say I disagree with you there. The 6.4 Hemi in the 2500s is aging as well. Ford has the 6.8 and 7.3 gas in addition to the diesel, but I really like how GM just mated their 6.6 gas to the 10 speed. I agree that the half ton market is so stupid it's comical. You can get a whole truck for about 50k. But if you add a bunch of bells and whistles on it it's 75k, same truck underneath, same powertrain, just a bunch of gadgets cost another 25k.

silver billet

Reaction score
Where Ram is at a disadvantage is that their parent company doesn't have the portfolio Ford has, and that means they have less flexibility in what they can offer due to EPA fines. I guess we'll see....

I read an article that said they won't be paying those fines to Tesla anymore. Stellantis has tons of tiny puddle jumpers so that helps them out.

Scram1500

Reaction score
The truck market was overpriced already but now it's gone bonkers. When I got my modestly equipped Bighorn in late 2019 it was priced at $42K. I just looked at a similar build and now it's $53k.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
From recent reports, they are keeping the Hemi in the 1500 when the Hurricane is introduced for the 2025 mid-cycle. The Hurricane will be the top engine choice, the Hemi slotted under it and the Pentastar still as the base.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So 2025 gets the Hurricane I-6, keeps the 8HP75 trans, adds a few updates to infotainment, mirrors, trim, etc. Big question is will they use the Pentastar as the base engine, or the Hemi? Or will they keep both and Hurricane is an option on Laramie and above? I think that'll be the next big question...what is the engine lineup as a whole going to be when Hurricane shows up 12 months from now on the order guide.

From recent reports, they are keeping the Hemi in the 1500 when the Hurricane is introduced for the 2025 mid-cycle. The Hurricane will be the top engine choice, the Hemi slotted under it and the Pentastar still as the base.
I don't have the article handy, but I read differnet that the 1500 would NOT be allowed to have a v8 and only Pentastar and Hurricane. It wasn't clear if the 1500 would get an HO hurricane.
Ram has been pretty clear they are no longer going to produce 5.7 engines.

Users who are viewing this thread