5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'd love to say good things, but...

LL247

Reaction score
I was really excited to get my 19 Laramie 2 weeks ago, my 7th Ram and another of many Mopar vehicles. Actually my 14th brand new vehicle in ten years between Jeeps and Rams. What a let down.

To keep it short, I got to enjoy my brand new truck for a total of about 3 hours since I bought it. Driver's seat felt terrible and was told it's defective, dealer ordered a replacement. Next day, check engine light, dealer keeps the whole day. Get it back that evening, told light was just some bs codes. Next morning, check engine light. At this point I'm late for an appointment and decide to drive it and drop it at the dealer afterwards...until the truck starts to steer to the left by itself at 40mph. Yes, by itself. No, not an alignment issue, the truck's wheel pulling to the left unless I force it back. Take it back to the dealer, furious but not at them, they didn't build it and are trying to be as helpful as possible. They offer to cancel the deal and give me my 16 2500 Laramie (problem free since new) back to me, but assure me they can fix all the problems. My wife says let them fix it, I tell them to please make it right. Day after day, no real answers because Chrysler has engineers and protocols to follow, dealer's hands are tied. Finally get word on Monday that the Etorque battery pack is bad and needs replaced, but it can only be ground shipped from California, so a week minimum until it's here. After it arrives, things need reprogrammed, ect and it'll be a few days after. So now I'm looking at another 2 weeks...and we still have no idea what's wrong with the steering!!!

What fantastic quality, I bought a truck that is spending it's first month in the shop. My dealer (who has been great from the start) says they will talk to Chrysler about maybe doing something for us to make amends. I can tell you this, if they don't...I'm done with any of their brands from now on. So you guys know, I own a motorcycle shop and am far more understanding/patient than most people in these situations...but I've had it.

Hope to contribute to this forum since I always customize my vehicles...maybe someday when I get to drive the truck I paid for. Maybe tomorrow I'll drive through the service lot and look at my brand new truck sitting there and think of all the stuff if like to do if it was in my driveway.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They offer to cancel the deal and give me my 16 2500 Laramie (problem free since new) back to me
Hey @LL247 welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear the bad news. I’m looking forward to my truck order arriving and remain optimistic they will work through their problems... but whoa if I had those problems I would take the dealership up on their offer immediately. You can always test drive a “bug free” one later and if it’s good to go then dive back in. That’s understanding of them to offer to get you back in your old truck.

Your wife is maybe an optimist too, and sometimes we just need a little encouragement to tough things out... but nuff’s enough on that truck imho. If your service manager is truly a good one they will indeed make it right it’ll just take time and I completely agree that’s not the kind of experience we pay for in these trucks. Good luck either way, and keep us updated on what was done to fix it if you have the time, because if you have these problems somebody else might too.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hope to contribute to this forum since I always customize my vehicles...
Man I hope they sort you out one way or another so we get to see what you work on. Any examples of previous work you want to share? The shinier the better...

John813

Reaction score
Joys of a first year new generation buy. Add in a newer engine(E-torque) setup and you can run into these early glitches/problems. You are the guinea pig for FCA to know what to fix for the 2020 builds+.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tough deal, your patience is inspirational and I hope they make things right as soon as possible.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was really excited to get my 19 Laramie 2 weeks ago, my 7th Ram and another of many Mopar vehicles. Actually my 14th brand new vehicle in ten years between Jeeps and Rams. What a let down.

To keep it short, I got to enjoy my brand new truck for a total of about 3 hours since I bought it. Driver's seat felt terrible and was told it's defective, dealer ordered a replacement. Next day, check engine light, dealer keeps the whole day. Get it back that evening, told light was just some bs codes. Next morning, check engine light. At this point I'm late for an appointment and decide to drive it and drop it at the dealer afterwards...until the truck starts to steer to the left by itself at 40mph. Yes, by itself. No, not an alignment issue, the truck's wheel pulling to the left unless I force it back. Take it back to the dealer, furious but not at them, they didn't build it and are trying to be as helpful as possible. They offer to cancel the deal and give me my 16 2500 Laramie (problem free since new) back to me, but assure me they can fix all the problems. My wife says let them fix it, I tell them to please make it right. Day after day, no real answers because Chrysler has engineers and protocols to follow, dealer's hands are tied. Finally get word on Monday that the Etorque battery pack is bad and needs replaced, but it can only be ground shipped from California, so a week minimum until it's here. After it arrives, things need reprogrammed, ect and it'll be a few days after. So now I'm looking at another 2 weeks...and we still have no idea what's wrong with the steering!!!

What fantastic quality, I bought a truck that is spending it's first month in the shop. My dealer (who has been great from the start) says they will talk to Chrysler about maybe doing something for us to make amends. I can tell you this, if they don't...I'm done with any of their brands from now on. So you guys know, I own a motorcycle shop and am far more understanding/patient than most people in these situations...but I've had it.

Hope to contribute to this forum since I always customize my vehicles...maybe someday when I get to drive the truck I paid for. Maybe tomorrow I'll drive through the service lot and look at my brand new truck sitting there and think of all the stuff if like to do if it was in my driveway.
Keep us posted. Mine is at the dealer for the following: Wind noise from the passenger side, 2" glob of black window goo on windshield/pillar fabric and a ding at the top of the passenger door and installing the spray in bed liner. Its no fun having a new truck at the dealer. Plus, my loaner is a stripped 2017 Jeep Patriot 2x4....yuk

immersivenc

Reaction score
...until the truck starts to steer to the left by itself at 40mph. Yes, by itself. No, not an alignment issue, the truck's wheel pulling to the left unless I force it back.

Are you sure this isn’t just the active lane keeping assist? Because mine does the same thing it nudges you back into the lane if you go over the line.

John813

Reaction score
Is this wind noise on the passenger side here and there? Or there all the time.

Every once in a while I'll hear more wind noise from there for 10-20 seconds and then disappear.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On mountain twisty roads it has to be deprogrammed, .....or it will drive you nuts.
I disagree... driven up & down several twisty roads in the mountains without issue. In fact, I find the land keep assist in this truck to be WEAK. It barely nudges me back into the lane even set to full strength. Nowhere near as strong as any other FCA vehicle I've had with the feature. Maybe my hardware is defective, or the software is different. Either way, the button above the screen (at least on the 12 in.) is right there to easily shut it off.

tdwilli1

Reaction score
Is this wind noise on the passenger side here and there? Or there all the time.

Every once in a while I'll hear more wind noise from there for 10-20 seconds and then disappear.

Same here. Just took a 3k road trip and would hear that from time to time. Seems like a vent automatically opening and closing.

immersivenc

Reaction score
Same here. Just took a 3k road trip and would hear that from time to time. Seems like a vent automatically opening and closing.

I believe these trucks have active air dampers. Could be a possibility if what you’re hearing

Atcje

Reaction score
I picked mine up on the 13th of August, it was at the shop the next day. Went back a couple times and now has been in the shop since Monday. I'm getting some crap from friends and coworkers too. Decided I'll start with the big stuff and work down my long list of screwups. As far as this being normal in a first run vehicle, that's BS because my wife's 18 BMW X3 was a first run car and it's been perfect since we picked it up.

Flot

Reaction score
I picked mine up on the 13th of August, it was at the shop the next day. Went back a couple times and now has been in the shop since Monday. I'm getting some crap from friends and coworkers too. Decided I'll start with the big stuff and work down my long list of screwups. As far as this being normal in a first run vehicle, that's BS because my wife's 18 BMW X3 was a first run car and it's been perfect since we picked it up.

In case someone starts playing the "luxury car" card, I have two early-release Honda CR-Vs and got 2016 Honda Pilot the day it rolled off the truck vin #000001300 and they all made it 3 years without a single issue. I also have a BMW that has been in the shop more times than I can count, but not in the first year. LOL

I love the truck but the issues people are reporting really are disappointing. In retrospect I'm glad they had a few months under their belt before they built mine - I do NOT have many of the issues that people with first-three-month trucks are reporting. (like brake squeal or 12" failures)

Flot

Reaction score

It is almost certainly the fresh air/recirc vent - however I can't figure out any pattern to when it opens. It is pretty loud when you're going 70+, and I've heard it on relatively short interstate trips in the first 30 mins.

LL247

Reaction score
Well my dealer went the extra mile and took me out of the truck for another. Went up there today to see what was in inventory and the car carrier just unloaded a pile of trucks. Switched from a problem filled Laramie to a Rebel today. I saw the granite crystal rebel and fell for it...even with my Laramie's twin sitting there too, meaning I could've had the same truck (minus the problems of course). So far so good, tomorrow I'll put some miles on it...

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well my dealer went the extra mile and took me out of the truck for another. Went up there today to see what was in inventory and the car carrier just unloaded a pile of trucks. Switched from a problem filled Laramie to a Rebel today. I saw the granite crystal rebel and fell for it...even with my Laramie's twin sitting there too, meaning I could've had the same truck (minus the problems of course). So far so good, tomorrow I'll put some miles on it...

Glad to hear the dealer took care of ya. Hopefully this ones problem free and you get to enjoy it. (y)

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good news, and great step for the dealership to take in that circumstance. Pics?

Users who are viewing this thread