5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was going to drive one of these today but...

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Mines a white Limited very much like the one you want. 3.21 gears, Pano, front/rear cooling seats etc.
Something I added when building one online bumped it to 3.92 rear end. I assume it's something I want and will have to live with it. Thanks for the reply.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wrong.

I got excited to look at the Ram after having a "no dodge" rule for the last 10 trucks or so (I trade every 2 years-ish). Then I started reading here and elsewhere about all the issues and it took the wind out of my sails. I'm going to drive a 2020 Limited tomorrow for an hour or so and see what I think based on all the negatives and positives reported online. I've been to 3 Dodge dealers in the last 3 days including today (Domiano near Scranton PA...talked to Judd) feel free to play internet detective and check up on me. :p

Yes, nothing is perfect, but I'm in my truck sometimes 10 hours a day so it needs to work, be comfortable and be reliable. The dealers here will not provide a loaner so I need to either buy a second car for that eventuality or hope this one doesn't end up in the shop. It's really very simple.

Posters like you do far more damage than good. You presume to know when you do not. All from the comfort of your recliner. Next time, hold your tongue until you have at least a tiny shred of proof or be prepared to be made a fool of.

To those who have offered experience and data, thanks!
If your up for a little drive Reedman Toll in Langhorne PA (2hrs from Scranton) got me one of the best lease deals I've seen on here - im sure they give great deals for buying too. Service center is sub par but you dont need to go to them for that after purchasing (if you did have any issues).

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
If your up for a little drive Reedman Toll in Langhorne PA (2hrs from Scranton) got me one of the best lease deals I've seen on here - im sure they give great deals for buying too. Service center is sub par but you dont need to go to them for that after purchasing (if you did have any issues).
Thanks. I can't lease due to the miles I drive (20K plus a year) and with the current pricing the 2 hour drive wouldn't be worth it for me. Domiano is a pretty big dealer and has hundreds of these in stock so it shouldn't be a big deal to find or order one.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. You have to temper what you read on a forum with the facts that:

1- Most people don't know forums exist. Good or bad, they don't use the internet for this.
2 - Most people who post on forums come here to see if anyone has input on a problem they're having. It's rare someone takes the time to find a forum and join just to say "hey guys....just stopped by to say I love my thing"!
3 - When you consider the sample size of the ones who know about forums and those who are here, it's probably statistically irrelevant, but...you can see trends, which is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
It's tough because everything on a forum is going to be one-off experiences. You are right in that given enough time and enough posters you can spot trends, and every vehicle has their spots that give more trouble than normal. Before I got into the Ram I had Titans for 15 years and they were good trucks but also had their weak spots (exhaust manifolds, radiators, hoses, some rear axles, early brakes). For me, I just accept that there's some likelihood that any vehicle is going to have stuff that doesn't work as good as you think/hope it should and weigh that against the cost of fixing and keeping the vehicle. I'm a big fan of vehicles that have durable drivetrains, electrical systems, and body integrity, as these are all really expensive or can be aggravating/impossible to track down. I am more forgiving of having to do brakes more often, or soft paint, low durability interior stuff, etc. So far I've had the Ram almost a year and it's been a really good truck. I don't have 7k on it yet so I don't have a long track record, and it has had a couple of recalls, but it's done well for me as a vehicle. Some of the things people complain about on here I either don't have (no sunroof or e-torque, things I think just add more likelihood of something going wrong) or it doesn't affect/bother me or I haven't noticed it one way or the other (AC not spitting out ice cubes, road noise from the rear cabin, etc). My rear auto braking system thinks asphalt on a hill is an obstruction so I turned it off, but I didn't really care if I had this feature anyway.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
It's tough because everything on a forum is going to be one-off experiences. You are right in that given enough time and enough posters you can spot trends, and every vehicle has their spots that give more trouble than normal. Before I got into the Ram I had Titans for 15 years and they were good trucks but also had their weak spots (exhaust manifolds, radiators, hoses, some rear axles, early brakes). For me, I just accept that there's some likelihood that any vehicle is going to have stuff that doesn't work as good as you think/hope it should and weigh that against the cost of fixing and keeping the vehicle. I'm a big fan of vehicles that have durable drivetrains, electrical systems, and body integrity, as these are all really expensive or can be aggravating/impossible to track down. I am more forgiving of having to do brakes more often, or soft paint, low durability interior stuff, etc. So far I've had the Ram almost a year and it's been a really good truck. I don't have 7k on it yet so I don't have a long track record, and it has had a couple of recalls, but it's done well for me as a vehicle. Some of the things people complain about on here I either don't have (no sunroof or e-torque, things I think just add more likelihood of something going wrong) or it doesn't affect/bother me or I haven't noticed it one way or the other (AC not spitting out ice cubes, road noise from the rear cabin, etc). My rear auto braking system thinks asphalt on a hill is an obstruction so I turned it off, but I didn't really care if I had this feature anyway.
Thanks for the reply. I went from 11 or so F series into a 17 Ridgeline RTLE as we sold our 40' fifth wheel and I really only needed a truck to haul garbage, my motorcycles, etc. I figured the Honda would be flawless. Nope. in 40K miles, it's been back 11 times for all sorts of stupid and annoying issues. It's never left me sitting and the dealer always has a new loaner for me so it's not a big inconvenience. I worry about the Ram as the dealers here do not provide loaners and I've never owned one of these before. My Fords were all zero issues. Literally never went back to the shop for anything that I can recall. The Fords today are pretty boring looking and 10K more than the Ram with similar trim given current discounts. I guess if I hate it I can always dump it early, but I hope that doesn't happen.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I went from 11 or so F series into a 17 Ridgeline RTLE as we sold our 40' fifth wheel and I really only needed a truck to haul garbage, my motorcycles, etc. I figured the Honda would be flawless. Nope. in 40K miles, it's been back 11 times for all sorts of stupid and annoying issues. It's never left me sitting and the dealer always has a new loaner for me so it's not a big inconvenience. I worry about the Ram as the dealers here do not provide loaners and I've never owned one of these before. My Fords were all zero issues. Literally never went back to the shop for anything that I can recall. The Fords today are pretty boring looking and 10K more than the Ram with similar trim given current discounts. I guess if I hate it I can always dump it early, but I hope that doesn't happen.
I buy Fords for their fleet prices for the crew guys and they're good work trucks but they haven't been any more or less trouble-free for us than anything else I've personally had. If we didn't get fleet pricing on them there's a good chance I would buy something else, but I can't beat the fleet pricing that Ford does with any other vehicle. If/when Ford does away with fleet pricing it will be a free-for-all in work truck purchases. We bought our first foreign fleet truck a couple years ago (Nissan Frontier) because Ford had done away with the Ranger and we needed one small vehicle to get into tight places.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I buy Fords for their fleet prices for the crew guys and they're good work trucks but they haven't been any more or less trouble-free for us than anything else I've personally had. If we didn't get fleet pricing on them there's a good chance I would buy something else, but I can't beat the fleet pricing that Ford does with any other vehicle. If/when Ford does away with fleet pricing it will be a free-for-all in work truck purchases. We bought our first foreign fleet truck a couple years ago (Nissan Frontier) because Ford had done away with the Ranger and we needed one small vehicle to get into tight places.
Ya, if Ford didn't include fleet sales, they couldn't claim best selling truck.

The Honda has been awesome. Quiet, comfortable and capable. Every truck should have a trunk in the bed. I will miss that above all else when I trade it.

Users who are viewing this thread