5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was going to drive one of these today but...

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Guys, the OP is a troll plain and simple. Listen to the way it's worded. Stop responding and let this die. No one makes an account on a forum just to list negative aspects of the vehicle that they aren't planning to buy anyway. This is someone at Ford trying to get yet another long thread going about how much our trucks suck
Wrong.

I got excited to look at the Ram after having a "no dodge" rule for the last 10 trucks or so (I trade every 2 years-ish). Then I started reading here and elsewhere about all the issues and it took the wind out of my sails. I'm going to drive a 2020 Limited tomorrow for an hour or so and see what I think based on all the negatives and positives reported online. I've been to 3 Dodge dealers in the last 3 days including today (Domiano near Scranton PA...talked to Judd) feel free to play internet detective and check up on me. :p

Yes, nothing is perfect, but I'm in my truck sometimes 10 hours a day so it needs to work, be comfortable and be reliable. The dealers here will not provide a loaner so I need to either buy a second car for that eventuality or hope this one doesn't end up in the shop. It's really very simple.

Posters like you do far more damage than good. You presume to know when you do not. All from the comfort of your recliner. Next time, hold your tongue until you have at least a tiny shred of proof or be prepared to be made a fool of.

To those who have offered experience and data, thanks!

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
When you buy a new vehicle you have to justify it over the long haul...(get it?) at least 3 years down the road (get it?). All trucks are discounted deeply, to begin with, so unless you are planning on paying full price I would not worry about resale. Check the resale on trucks with avg mileage that are 3-5 years old, the hold their value pretty good. I traded my 2011 Ram 2WD QC with 120K miles and got $15K trade (on paper) after a 20% sticker reduction.
I have to consider all the criteria which includes resale (or an estimate thereof) I trade about every 2 years. It's a business expense and I'm usually ready to try something else after 2 years or so, but I'm cheap at heart so I still need to feel like I'm not throwing money away....at least a little. When you see a 2019 truck that had a sticker of 70K less than 12 months ago listed for $35K you have to think a little. 30% depreciation on the first year isn't unexpected. 50% is a "whoa!" moment....that truck was sold before the employee pricing + discounting. Just another data point.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
:ROFLMAO: Ain't that the truth! If you read the internet long enough you'll find out that your truck sucks, your woman is cheating on you, your dog is the wrong breed, your favorite food gives you stomach cancer and the politicians you hate are secret devil-worshipping child killers bent on world domination :p

Original poster: luckily, virtually every vehicle is worth $0 at the end of its life, so that should cover you on resale. If you are trading in every couple of years, you're almost guaranteed to be making a stupid financial decision (note I said "financial", as there are other considerations in life) so the trade-in value shouldn't worry you as much as the dumb financial decision.
My accountant tells me when I need to make a big purchase. I don't like it, but it's either that or lose a lot of money in taxes to government....not doing that.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
The main point is that unless you are loaded with too much Ca$h, buying one of these levels of Trucks is for a longer time frame than 2 years. Do your research and homework and be happy with the truck for at least 5 years. If you own it for 7 or 9 or 15 years, you will get everything back out of what you put into it.
That's not going to work for me. There was a time when I drove old vehicles for very long periods of time, but I can't do that today.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I didn't even go to look at the GMC / Chevy up close. Even at a distance, I think they're fugly. And the magazines hated them. (2018s were a consideration, but they were all gone, by the time I was ready to buy.) Fords are... well, Fords.
I love my Ram.
Yep...cannot buy a GM.

The fords are my go-to. I've had 11 or so F-series and SDs. Always reliable with no issues other than wear and tear. They're just boring right now. It's like they're building them for 70 year olds. I'm not there yet. The Ram has the best interior and exterior to my eyes.

barr0208

Reaction score
When you buy a new vehicle you have to justify it over the long haul...(get it?) at least 3 years down the road (get it?). All trucks are discounted deeply, to begin with, so unless you are planning on paying full price I would not worry about resale. Check the resale on trucks with avg mileage that are 3-5 years old, the hold their value pretty good. I traded my 2011 Ram 2WD QC with 120K miles and got $15K trade (on paper) after a 20% sticker reduction.
yes I got $32,800 in trade for my 2016 ram Laramie quad cab and 26% off list to boot.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wrong.

I got excited to look at the Ram after having a "no dodge" rule for the last 10 trucks or so (I trade every 2 years-ish). Then I started reading here and elsewhere about all the issues and it took the wind out of my sails. I'm going to drive a 2020 Limited tomorrow for an hour or so and see what I think based on all the negatives and positives reported online. I've been to 3 Dodge dealers in the last 3 days including today (Domiano near Scranton PA...talked to Judd) feel free to play internet detective and check up on me. :p

Yes, nothing is perfect, but I'm in my truck sometimes 10 hours a day so it needs to work, be comfortable and be reliable. The dealers here will not provide a loaner so I need to either buy a second car for that eventuality or hope this one doesn't end up in the shop. It's really very simple.

Posters like you do far more damage than good. You presume to know when you do not. All from the comfort of your recliner. Next time, hold your tongue until you have at least a tiny shred of proof or be prepared to be made a fool of.

To those who have offered experience and data, thanks!
After your test drive tomorrow be sure to post back what color and options you went with as you’ll love it once you drive it.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
After your test drive tomorrow be sure to post back what color and options you went with as you’ll love it once you drive it.
Prob have to wait until 11/26 to get the 2020 I want. Limited or Laramie Longhorn, 6.5', white, ram boxes, split tailgate, most everything else I can get on it.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Prob have to wait until 11/26 to get the 2020 I want. Limited or Laramie Longhorn, 6.5', white, ram boxes, split tailgate, most everything else I can get on it.
Sounds good, I like the idea of the split tailgate but it seems several people have mentioned limited options for tonneau covers if that matters to you. To me that’s what makes this forum great is information sharing and learning. Sure there’s some issues people have with their truck but in general I’d say 99% are happy and the other 1% will never be happy regardless of the situation. At least post back your impressions whether you buy or not.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Sounds good, I like the idea of the split tailgate but it seems several people have mentioned limited options for tonneau covers if that matters to you. To me that’s what makes this forum great is information sharing and learning. Sure there’s some issues people have with their truck but in general I’d say 99% are happy and the other 1% will never be happy regardless of the situation. At least post back your impressions whether you buy or not.
I was wondering about the tonneau cover options for those. The dealer I'm looking at here orders all the higher end trucks with the factory tonneau. I always buy Extang Encore hard tonneaus for my trucks. I'll have to speak with them to see what they offer. Thanks

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering about the tonneau cover options for those. The dealer I'm looking at here orders all the higher end trucks with the factory tonneau. I always buy Extang Encore hard tonneaus for my trucks. I'll have to speak with them to see what they offer. Thanks
Just providing maybe a different data point for you. My truck is 1 year old now, 20K miles, with the exception of headliner rattles (which I eliminated the first week of ownership), my truck has been great.

rlc2020

Reaction score
"presume to know when you do not" "comfort of your recliner" "hold your tongue" "at least a tiny shred of proof" "be prepared to be made a fool of."

Who the hell talks like this in real life?
This troll doubling down on his troll like tenancies...keep it up buddy, it's forum gold. You got called out so now there are a bunch of short posts that sound a little more serious, nice cover up. You posted in 4 other areas of the forum the same basic thing, really trying to maximize your exposure aren't ya? A newbie wouldn't know the forum so well day 1 of being a member, nor would they post the same thing in four different places at once. Unless, they were, you know, a troll...

If you aren't a paid troll from a competitive company(which I'm sure 99% that you are), then you are the sad one in your recliner making an account just to post on a forum to bash the topic of said forum, get a life.

The rest of us are here to talk about upgrades and or find solutions to issues we are having as OWNERS of a ram. You are wasting your time and ours by being here when you aren't even buying a ram. Then you start insulting people for calling you out on your B.S.

Last edited:

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Just providing maybe a different data point for you. My truck is 1 year old now, 20K miles, with the exception of headliner rattles (which I eliminated the first week of ownership), my truck has been great.
Thanks! You're the first one I've read that hasn't had any issues. May I ask what trim level and options you have?

derp

Reaction score
I have a 2019 laramie. Mine has been absolute awesomesauce. the uconnect burped one time on a handsfree call when my phone had an issue. after a park/power cycle normally it was back to just fine.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! You're the first one I've read that hasn't had any issues. May I ask what trim level and options you have?
I haven't had any issues so I'm number two, apparently. Don't know what kind of business you have or anything about your accountant, but I own a business as well and the tax write-off is never less painful than the cash dropped for the vehicle. Yes, it can lessen the pain - I waited until after January so I could get full value write-down - but it only reduces your tax burden, and still never compares to just keeping a vehicle long term. I had my last work truck 10 years and even with this year's deduction keeping the old vehicle was cheaper. I just wanted a new truck before I retire and it would be my last best tax benefit this year. Financially did it make sense compared to keeping the old truck? Nope. But I've worked long enough and hard enough that I feel pretty good rewarding myself here :)

In any case, if you only see two people with no problems you haven't read deeply enough.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues so I'm number two, apparently. Don't know what kind of business you have or anything about your accountant, but I own a business as well and the tax write-off is never less painful than the cash dropped for the vehicle. Yes, it can lessen the pain - I waited until after January so I could get full value write-down - but it only reduces your tax burden, and still never compares to just keeping a vehicle long term. I had my last work truck 10 years and even with this year's deduction keeping the old vehicle was cheaper. I just wanted a new truck before I retire and it would be my last best tax benefit this year. Financially did it make sense compared to keeping the old truck? Nope. But I've worked long enough and hard enough that I feel pretty good rewarding myself here :)

In any case, if you only see two people with no problems you haven't read deeply enough.
Thanks for the input. You have to temper what you read on a forum with the facts that:

1- Most people don't know forums exist. Good or bad, they don't use the internet for this.
2 - Most people who post on forums come here to see if anyone has input on a problem they're having. It's rare someone takes the time to find a forum and join just to say "hey guys....just stopped by to say I love my thing"!
3 - When you consider the sample size of the ones who know about forums and those who are here, it's probably statistically irrelevant, but...you can see trends, which is what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online