5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wanted the coveted #100 post but.....2WD Rebels??

19RebelZ

Reaction score
Just out of some morbid curiosity why in the world can you/or want to get a rebel in 2wd form? Reminds of back in the day when I bought a Z71 Silverado and some of them were 2wd! I know the taco’s started this but why??? 469F9D79-3525-4E16-8F7E-0A3071B36AD0.png

Troop2865

Reaction score
I know. Sounds crazy, but several years ago, I was looking for a nice lifted used crew cab truck. I found one online that was beautiful and VERY reasonably priced. I called and talked to the owner of quite some time before I asked about the 4wd. I was advised it was only 2wd.

The truck was a silver 2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew with a 6 inch lift and 35 inch BFG's. The guy had it built when he was stationed at San Diego. I guess a lot of desert racers are 2wd, and he like the look, so had one built. Since I had another 4wd Jeep truck, I decided I really didn't need a 4wd. I purchased the truck and absolutely loved it. It drove great and towed very well.

SO, while I wouldn't purchase a new 2wd and lift it, I can see why some would. 2wd will provide a much better purchase price, better fuel economy, and more towing ability......and with a lift, you still get the look.

robe2388

Reaction score
Some people know full well they are never going to need the 4wd. If I didn’t have my 24ft boat I would probably never use the 4wd here in Miami and heck, most everyone here pulls their boats with old 2wd trucks and never see the need. Lol

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For where I live and how we travel, we need 4wd as we just don't know what we will come upon. I’ve owned rwd vehicles with dedicated snow tires and have done well that way also.

4sallypat

Reaction score
Lots of Rebels here in So Cal because the cost savings of a 2WD and getting that same look as a 4WD.
Many people never use 4WD in urban areas which is why 2WD is still around.

When I was cross shopping other brands, I saw more full sized 2WD trucks by Toyota, Nissan, Chevy and Ford compared to the number of 4WD here in So Cal.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Rebel was not envisioned as an off road truck. It was envisioned as a factory custom truck.

Much like the Adult toys by Dodge from the 70s.

Warlock, Macho, Lil Red Express.

And the lifted, big tire, custom grille was what all the Facebook posts showed.

And as mentioned, pre runner trucks are quite often 2wd.

There was even someone here who I believe was going that direction with his 2wd Rebel.

Will have to see if I can find that

Doc

Reaction score
On the farm I grew up on we would castrate bulls and geld the stallions. Could this be related to the 2WD Rebel?
I understand that's all some people need and want. Up here in the great white north, living off a dirt road, a 4wd is more of a necessity. I did not mean to put anybody off, just the humor of this old Mainer.

Troop2865

Reaction score
Doc, you didn' put anyone off. You posed a great question I think when most people think Rebel, they think of Ram's response to the Raptor. When people think off road, the first thought is who wouldn't want four wheel drive?

When I had my 2wd lifted Ford, I would have not ordered a truck like that, but I got such a great deal on a nice looking truck, I couldn't pass it up. Where I live, we also need 4wd, but since I already had another 4wd back then, I purchased the lifted 2wd.

In today's truck market, I think you get more than your money back when purchasing a 4wd truck. It seems the resale is much higher when it comes to 4wd vs. 2wd.

Reactions: Doc

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
when most people think Rebel, they think of Ram's response to the Raptor.
This Rebel was never Rams answer to the Raptor. They built the Rebel for people who customize their trucks to get a head start. It is exactly how they marketed it.

Now, the answer to the Raptor...that is the Ram Rebel TR. And the Ram Rebel TRX will be even more .

This is were what most do have changed what offroad means. Not everyone who off roads is a rock crawler, or mud bogger, or snowman. But, I do see how it is so easy to pigeon hole the word.

A 2wd with a locker spins as many tires as a 4wd without lol.

Troop2865

Reaction score
I agree the Rebel is not really Ram’s answer to the Raptor, but I think that is what most others think. Come on Ram and get that TRX built.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ford definitely wants people to think the Rebel is Rams attempt at a Raptor.

Lots of magazines compare the 2.. and surprisingly they aren't to far off.

Even better when they say the Powerwagon is the competitor to Raptor.

TRX is coming. The waiting is horrible. And it is going to be much better than the concept.

Rebel subbrand is supposed to be a thing. Talk about it kinda fell off. At one time the Powerwagon was going to join it.

But I think it will have all the bases covered. High speed offroad, HD overlanding, daily driver offroader, and the street truck has to be coming also...Rumble Bee and Quiksilver will make it past concept if the truck market stays what it is.

This is a great time to be a performance guy, and the best time to be a performance truck guy.

19Jake

Reaction score
5th Gen Hemi Rebel wide body w/FOX shocks would sell like crazy...I'll be 1st in line.

19RebelZ

Reaction score
Lots of Rebels here in So Cal because the cost savings of a 2WD and getting that same look as a 4WD.
Many people never use 4WD in urban areas which is why 2WD is still around.

When I was cross shopping other brands, I saw more full sized 2WD trucks by Toyota, Nissan, Chevy and Ford compared to the number of 4WD here in So Cal.
That’s how it was in Florida when I lived there 80/20 2wd to 4wd. I fully understand not needing 4wd, trust me I wish it would work for me with the gas savings. I don’t get it, just seems odd to offer the rebel in 2wd. Kind of like getting a “Jeep”2wd, or GM turning the suburban/Tahoe into a uni-body construction. Some things are just meant to be the way they are, we have enough change in the world. To each their own

JohnUSA

Reaction score
This Rebel was never Rams answer to the Raptor. They built the Rebel for people who customize their trucks to get a head start. It is exactly how they marketed it.

Now, the answer to the Raptor...that is the Ram Rebel TR. And the Ram Rebel TRX will be even more .

This is were what most do have changed what offroad means. Not everyone who off roads is a rock crawler, or mud bogger, or snowman. But, I do see how it is so easy to pigeon hole the word.

A 2wd with a locker spins as many tires as a 4wd without lol.
That's me...All my trucks have had a mild custom, and Rebel just got ahead of me. I'll get off the beaten path, like cutting my own tree, or hitting the dunes or beach. No rock crawling or mud bogging for this guy. Left that behind when I got rid of my FJ. Rebel=win-win for me. Mild custom in place already, and gets me off road how I need to.

Users who are viewing this thread