5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wanted the coveted #100 post but.....2WD Rebels??

greg_nc

Reaction score
I will always have 4 wheel drive on a truck. 2wd seems like it used to work with lighter trucks but the rebel is certainly not. I have had several purpose built offroad vehicles but the rebel is heavy like most big trucks and needs four wheel drive just to motivate its own weight sometimes. Just get into a gravel driveway with a bit of slope and stop in the middle and start. I have had the truck for about a week and already slipped in common loose surfaces-not offroad conditions. Parking in grass will do it even.

freerider969

Reaction score
Until right before I bought my Rebel 1 June 2019, I did not know they made a 2wd Rebel. In all honesty I have a 4wd for a few reasons to include visiting family up north and showing land and homes in remote areas. If I knew for sure I would never have to travel in snow, mud or rocky terrain I would have gotten a 2wd Rebel as I still love the way it looks. Great thing is there are lots of choices and everyone is entitled to have a truck or any vehicle they want for that matter.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I live on the west coast, 2wd full size trucks with 33" tires works really well off-road here. Not for rock crawling or mudding of course, but your traditional pre-runner style off-roading.

For these environments, a 2WD Rebel would do just fine. Still comes with all the goodies, Bilstein shocks w/ remote reservoirs in the rear, 33" Duratracts, rear locker, descent control, even all the skids plates, including the one for the transfer case, even though there isn't one (not sure why there).

But big open desert running with 2WD truck is very very fun if you haven't tried it yet. RAM should have named the 2WD Rebels "Pre-Runners" or something like that.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live on the west coast, 2wd full size trucks with 33" tires works really well off-road here. Not for rock crawling or mudding of course, but your traditional pre-runner style off-roading.

For these environments, a 2WD Rebel would do just fine. Still comes with all the goodies, Bilstein shocks w/ remote reservoirs in the rear, 33" Duratracts, rear locker, descent control, even all the skids plates, including the one for the transfer case, even though there isn't one (not sure why there).

But big open desert running with 2WD truck is very very fun if you haven't tried it yet. RAM should have named the 2WD Rebels "Pre-Runners" or something like that.
The locking rearend would work out well in many situations. The biggest complaint I would have is here in Portland, Oregon is resale value is weak on 2wd trucks as people in northwest want 4wd for the 2" of snow once a year...lol. For instance, a 2wd Suburban is like an oversized station wagon, but a 4wd version is a real SUV.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not everyone needs the 4wd but they like the Rebel look. I like that Ram is making a lot of things optional so you don't have to pay for what you don't need or want.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The locking rearend would work out well in many situations. The biggest complaint I would have is here in Portland, Oregon is resale value is weak on 2wd trucks as people in northwest want 4wd for the 2" of snow once a year...lol. For instance, a 2wd Suburban is like an oversized station wagon, but a 4wd version is a real SUV.

Yep, though I think they sell them based on region, you see a lot more to wheel drive stuff on the west and southwest for example. Rebel 2 wheel drive is just the perfect nich for a lot of people in those areas.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Not everyone needs the 4wd but they like the Rebel look. I like that Ram is making a lot of things optional so you don't have to pay for what you don't need or want.
Absolutely, I do like the fact that the rebel 2wd still comes with everything the 4WD gets, other than the actual four-wheel drive.

Even the skid plate for the transfer case still comes on the two wheel drive, not sure why?

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score

I think this is a big reason why the Rebel is offered in 2wd. There is a whole desert off-roading community running 2wd rigs at high speeds where the 4wd drivetrain is not desirable. There are lots of others who are more knowledgeable than me on the topic...I'm a PA guy riding trails in the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread