5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I LOVE 5THGENRAMS Forums but...

doublenichols

Reaction score
I thought I'd post this thread because I really do find these forums VERY useful. I enjoy being part of a group of individuals with similar likes such as modding their trucks, posting pics, sharing ideas about maintenance, cleaning products, accessories to buy, etc. I enjoy the news about things to come, all of the awards & accolades, the info about recalls, and the timeliness of FCA's willingness to both inform and address the issues. BUT, BUT, BUT!!! ...the forums are also ripe with numerous complaints, some of which are very legitimate and understandable, but most of which are particularly granular. I mean... things like dissatisfaction with gas mileage (...subliminal pause --- it's a TRUCK!!), the mufflers don't have a growl, the Ram emblems are slightly crooked, the rearview mirror seems blurred, the tires are terribly small, the leather seems odd, the 12 inch screen is too big, the chrome is gaudy, and on, and on, and on (trust me, this is a very very small sampling). I'm guessing it's either buyer's remorse, or maybe fainting spells during the test drive?

Nothing here is intended to belittle the serious issues plaguing some new Ram buyers, and I hope for only the best outcomes with regard to their dilemmas. It just gets a little depressing when you compare the serious issues to "there's a paint drip at the bottom right corner of my tailgate, shame on FCA," or "the signal lever is hard to reach," or "there are too many fingerprints on my 12" screen!" Some of these issues shouldn't be broad-brushed, or suggested to encourage curious visitors not to buy (yes I've actually read that). These things are not everyone's experience. My 5th Gen Ram Limited is BADASS!! It's my 4th Ram. I guess I just want everyone to love theirs. There's a reason it lured you to buy!

I guess this is also a complaint, so forgive the hypocrisy. Never mind! Keep em' coming! They're HILARIOUS!!

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Even with all you say, and it's true, I come to this site more than any of the other Ram sites. I'm new to the Ram, and there are some real knowledgeable folks here who will offer help freely if you ask. The moderators seem active, and most folks are respective of the opinions of others.
In contrast, I was just on a different Ram site and there were no less that 5 separate threads on the same steering ground recall. That was on page one.

Steve

doublenichols

Reaction score
Even with all you say, and it's true, I come to this site more than any of the other Ram sites. I'm new to the Ram, and there are some real knowledgeable folks here who will offer help freely if you ask. The moderators seem active, and most folks are respective of the opinions of others.
In contrast, I was just on a different Ram site and there were no less that 5 separate threads on the same steering ground recall. That was on page one.

Steve
I'm here quite a bit too, and I concur with your thoughts on the moderators, and the knowledge, kindness, and respect level of the members here, but the cache of granular complaints has its effect.

smiles5619

Reaction score
Good, bad or indifferent, who cares? (You, given the post I suppose). No disrespect but being on this site provides an opportunity to get information, share information, share ideas, brag, complaint and enjoy what is the best truck on the road today (IMO). I see what you are saying however, I personally either don't click on the forum knowing it's complaints I don't want to see or, I do click it because maybe I'm going through the same thing. It maybe seen as complaining for some, but for others, it's a real issue that may very well get resolved by others who went through it.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
You could say…

Complainers complain when something is out of order/disliked etc…

Complainers like to complain about the complainers

Who’s to say what you dislike or comment about isn’t considered a petty complaint to someone else?

RAM obviously listen to all these complaints as it probably helped with some of the new designs and upgrades, comfort/work features that led to the new 2019 RAM. The past complainers changed RAM and got me to purchase said vehicle...so it works in some manner!!! lmao Thank you past complainers!!!

If you (each reader ask yourself this question) have no complaints, are you completely satisfied, or just not sweating the little stuff? Do you feel the little stuff should at some point be addressed? Or, do you forever just overlook the little stuff?

Without complaints, in some fashion, you wouldn’t have progress as there would only be satisfaction and complacency; no forward progression to better, more modern stuff; which will lead to more complaints?!!! The ever-revolving door.

Expectations of “it’s a truck” and that qualifies it to have what has become “acceptable” lowered expectations in some ways “could” mean you have settled for the old known concepts (problems) and expect them in your next truck regardless if manufacturer advertises differently. Let’s just take the one item of MPG as the example. Because it’s a truck should that mean you are buying it knowing it will suck on gas mileage; or should you “expect” to get what is advertised that you paid for? Your money do with it as you please and get what you want with it.

I have hit a point in my life where the words “balance” and “moderation” are finally becoming more important. I am still a “you get what you paid for” person and expect/demand “x” for my dollar(s) person.

I am not trying to offend you the OP, or anyone else where my comments may strike up a “good conversation” debating my opinion and theirs; just some thoughts to comments in this thread.

I do give you “props” OP/doublenichols because you even with your own self, identified your own penalty/foul of sorts with your last sentence:

“…I guess this is also a complaint, so forgive the hypocrisy. Never mind! Keep em' coming! They're HILARIOUS!!”

LMAO!!!! So ^5 to you for becoming a complainer that complained about the complainers, complaining in the complaint section!!!

Civilized people call it “discussions” section, now pass me the Grey Poupon please!!!!!:giggle::giggle::giggle:

MattF

Reaction score
I thought I'd post this thread because I really do find these forums VERY useful. I enjoy being part of a group of individuals with similar likes such as modding their trucks, posting pics, sharing ideas about maintenance, cleaning products, accessories to buy, etc. I enjoy the news about things to come, all of the awards & accolades, the info about recalls, and the timeliness of FCA's willingness to both inform and address the issues. BUT, BUT, BUT!!! ...the forums are also ripe with numerous complaints, some of which are very legitimate and understandable, but most of which are particularly granular. I mean... things like dissatisfaction with gas mileage (...subliminal pause --- it's a TRUCK!!), the mufflers don't have a growl, the Ram emblems are slightly crooked, the rearview mirror seems blurred, the tires are terribly small, the leather seems odd, the 12 inch screen is too big, the chrome is gaudy, and on, and on, and on (trust me, this is a very very small sampling). I'm guessing it's either buyer's remorse, or maybe fainting spells during the test drive?

Nothing here is intended to belittle the serious issues plaguing some new Ram buyers, and I hope for only the best outcomes with regard to their dilemmas. It just gets a little depressing when you compare the serious issues to "there's a paint drip at the bottom right corner of my tailgate, shame on FCA," or "the signal lever is hard to reach," or "there are too many fingerprints on my 12" screen!" Some of these issues shouldn't be broad-brushed, or suggested to encourage curious visitors not to buy (yes I've actually read that). These things are not everyone's experience. My 5th Gen Ram Limited is BADASS!! It's my 4th Ram. I guess I just want everyone to love theirs. There's a reason it lured you to buy!

I guess this is also a complaint, so forgive the hypocrisy. Never mind! Keep em' coming! They're HILARIOUS!!

Would you feel the same if this was your brand new Porsche? Or would you have different expectations? I ask not to poke but to remind everyone most of our new trucks cost MORE than a new Porsche Macan - For $60K I expect an equal level of quality and I imagine others do also. Not raising the issues let's RAM off the hook

IMHO

Matt

doublenichols

Reaction score
...Sincerely didn't intend to, but undoubtedly knew that I'd rustle at least SOME feathers. Opinions tend to do that. ...and like opinions, "balance and moderation" is subjective. Nonetheless, I take absolutely no offense. Everyone's experience is their own. I'm leaving now to wipe those damned fingerprints off my 12"!!

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
How can you deal with the fingerprints
When you still have to deal with the uneven tailgate cables.
You really need to get your priorities in order.
And only 20 days until Spring

doublenichols

Reaction score
Would you feel the same if this was your brand new Porsche? Or would you have different expectations? I ask not to poke but to remind everyone most of our new trucks cost MORE than a new Porsche Macan - For $60K I expect an equal level of quality and I imagine others do also. Not raising the issues let's RAM off the hook

IMHO

Matt
I find your response respectful, and I don't take it as a poke. I probably WOULD feel the same if it were my Porsche, Bentley, or whatever, but that's just me. Perfection is a tough ask [to me], and I realize and accept that my level of satisfaction is likely very different from others. I just can't do the granular. ...but again, that's just me.

doublenichols

Reaction score
You could say…

Complainers complain when something is out of order/disliked etc…

Complainers like to complain about the complainers

Who’s to say what you dislike or comment about isn’t considered a petty complaint to someone else?

RAM obviously listen to all these complaints as it probably helped with some of the new designs and upgrades, comfort/work features that led to the new 2019 RAM. The past complainers changed RAM and got me to purchase said vehicle...so it works in some manner!!! lmao Thank you past complainers!!!

If you (each reader ask yourself this question) have no complaints, are you completely satisfied, or just not sweating the little stuff? Do you feel the little stuff should at some point be addressed? Or, do you forever just overlook the little stuff?

Without complaints, in some fashion, you wouldn’t have progress as there would only be satisfaction and complacency; no forward progression to better, more modern stuff; which will lead to more complaints?!!! The ever-revolving door.

Expectations of “it’s a truck” and that qualifies it to have what has become “acceptable” lowered expectations in some ways “could” mean you have settled for the old known concepts (problems) and expect them in your next truck regardless if manufacturer advertises differently. Let’s just take the one item of MPG as the example. Because it’s a truck should that mean you are buying it knowing it will suck on gas mileage; or should you “expect” to get what is advertised that you paid for? Your money do with it as you please and get what you want with it.

I have hit a point in my life where the words “balance” and “moderation” are finally becoming more important. I am still a “you get what you paid for” person and expect/demand “x” for my dollar(s) person.

I am not trying to offend you the OP, or anyone else where my comments may strike up a “good conversation” debating my opinion and theirs; just some thoughts to comments in this thread.

I do give you “props” OP/doublenichols because you even with your own self, identified your own penalty/foul of sorts with your last sentence:

“…I guess this is also a complaint, so forgive the hypocrisy. Never mind! Keep em' coming! They're HILARIOUS!!”

LMAO!!!! So ^5 to you for becoming a complainer that complained about the complainers, complaining in the complaint section!!!

Civilized people call it “discussions” section, now pass me the Grey Poupon please!!!!!:giggle::giggle::giggle:

"Touche!!" ...but then again, I'm not complaining about the complainers. I'm complaining about the granular ones. If someone believes mine to be not complaint worthy, which is completely ok, then I welcome the "good conversation." Share the Poupon!

Last edited:

MFALRAM

Reaction score
It’s a new platform Ram of course there is going to be problems. I had my steering rack replaced. Yeah it sucked to deal with but I totally love this truck and as long as ram takes care of any problems I’m fine with it. Every mechanic I know has said if you don’t want to deal with all the problems of a first year design wait till the second or third year. Even with some problems Ram is having with the 19’s this is still the best truck out there on the market imo.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
doublenichols,

^5 on both giving the stuff and taking the stuff....see "balance"..lmao!!!

This is kinda like the squeaky wheel gets the oil, or the sheep that makes the most noise becomes the objective/prey(I just made that one up...lol).

Either way, I love the dedication in here/forum. The BMW forum I joined many years ago scrutinized every nut and bolt too(same as here!!!). I came to understand and love it...though of course at times it gets on the nerves.

A big factor is through most of the complaint(s), there lies a fix or solution(s). Down the line when/if a person has the same problem, then BAM...research and fixes are there to help; all from that granular complaint!!!

Great responses!!!

Pressgrove

Reaction score
I really like the forums as well, but it also has another unpleasant side-effect...... paranoia! :eek:

You think you hear a sound that might be the dreaded ___________ problem. Now you are anxiously listening for that sound instead of enjoying your day.

I previously had a 2003 F-250 with a 6.0L diesel. That engine had a bad reputation, and I had read all about it. I finally stopped reading about it, and 15 years and only a couple of very minor issues (one of which I tried to make a bigger problem because of my "knowledge"). To be fair though, I was able to diagnose and repair some things easily based on what I had read.

The forums are great. I've found some really nice aftermarket stuff here I wouldn't have known existed had I not been here.

That said, sometimes ignorance is bliss. :cool:

SP97

Reaction score
Double 5 cent-er, I agree in general with this post. I have many times thought to myself that people should take their issue to the dealer. I doubt any of us are beyond our warranty yet. On the other side of the nichol, I do find this site much more respectful than others and do appreciate being able to post something without being a target of someones self-inflated ego.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think there are different categories of issues. There are just completely random, unlucky, “one-offs”. That’s just bad luck. You can feel sorry for yourself and whine, but then it’s time to move on. Then there’s poor quality control, poor design, or just a cluster *#%#. These require the manufacturer to step in very quickly with remedies: recalls, service bulletins, etc and in some cases compensation. It one thing not to have your car play working but it’s another when your power steering gives out on the highway or you have water and mold because the grommets couldn’t be seated and silicones correctly? For some of the people here who have had to take lots of time out of their schedules and repeatedly bring their trucks in for service, rinse and repeat, that takes a toll. Yeah it’s the first model year etc BUT my point is that some of these things are a mild inconvenience and some are much more.

So the petty griping I totally agree with you. But some of the stuff I feel bad for those who have had to endure. Ram does seem to have stepped up in many/most/all (?) of these cases (still sucks though) which is more than I can say for many other manufactures so kudos to them and keep it up.

Now what the heck with my CarPlay!!! :p

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think someone important once said..."Life is like a box of chocolates....", now if I could only remember who that someone was...

doublenichols

Reaction score
I really like the forums as well, but it also has another unpleasant side-effect...... paranoia! :eek:

You think you hear a sound that might be the dreaded ___________ problem. Now you are anxiously listening for that sound instead of enjoying your day.

I previously had a 2003 F-250 with a 6.0L diesel. That engine had a bad reputation, and I had read all about it. I finally stopped reading about it, and 15 years and only a couple of very minor issues (one of which I tried to make a bigger problem because of my "knowledge"). To be fair though, I was able to diagnose and repair some things easily based on what I had read.

The forums are great. I've found some really nice aftermarket stuff here I wouldn't have known existed had I not been here.

That said, sometimes ignorance is bliss. :cool:
Before my whining about the granular complaints, I set out to make EXACTLY this point. Very well said!!

Users who are viewing this thread