5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I just got my first taste of Ram sticking it to me!

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 12” screen. About two months ago they did an OTA software update that bricked my radio. No stereo, no bluetooth, no hands free, just a screen that’s says XM loading. I had to take it to the dealer 3 times for them to try all kinds of updates, flashes, etc before STAR would supposedly allow them to replace the radio. They finally told me the radio is ordered. Today I called for my weekly check in to see if my new radio was in and low and behold I was told that because so many trucks were affected by the faulty software update that they cannot replace the 12” unit. I just have to wait for someday for them to come up with a new software update that they hope will fix my system.....WTF? I have a 5 month old truck that has been broken for 2 months and that’s the answer I get? I’ve owned a half a dozen Rams and have never been the victim of shady behavior by Ram and well I guess my time is up. Not even sure how to respond to this, even the service manager advised that I call FCA and say this isn’t ok?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@RamCares

I'd be pissed(my wife even more so), considering my truck is typically used for all the family trips. I would certainly force them to compensate you somehow.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jastevenson

Reaction score
The 12 inch screen has lots of wow factor but it is functionally far worse than the 8.4. Not sure how many updates it will receive since it is a dead end for Ram. Uconnect 5 runs on a completely different OS.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What the, are they kidding this must be a prank on their end. So because their stuff doesn’t work as advertised, the OP is supposed to suffer and wait it out ? I’m sorry stuff like this is what sends me over the edge. I’m sure someone will come and swear their radio works just fine and it’s the Holy Grail and then some. I didn’t want to take that chance so I took the low road and I went as basic a unit as possible. Still can’t stomach the thought that my entire system is controlled and regulated by this.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love the 12” system and never had so much as a single glitch with it until they did a forced over the air update and it killed it. It pisses me off to know end!

2wd

Reaction score
The 12 inch screen has lots of wow factor but it is functionally far worse than the 8.4. Not sure how many updates it will receive since it is a dead end for Ram. Uconnect 5 runs on a completely different OS.

Won't Uconnect5 leave both versions running Uconnect4 in the dust (8.4 and 12)?

Is lemon law an option for the OP or is that limited to drivability items/powertrain issues?

jastevenson

Reaction score
Won't Uconnect5 leave both versions running Uconnect4 in the dust (8.4 and 12)?

Is lemon law an option for the OP or is that limited to drivability items/powertrain issues?

it will, but the 8.4” screen is on many FCA products so they have had a lot of time (and lots of incentive) to optimize it and get it working well.

The 12” is only on the Ram (and relatively few of them). FCA hasn’t had the time to optimize it, and they probably won’t since Uconnect 5 is already here.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
it will, but the 8.4” screen is on many FCA products so they have had a lot of time (and lots of incentive) to optimize it and get it working well.

The 12” is only on the Ram (and relatively few of them). FCA hasn’t had the time to optimize it, and they probably won’t since Uconnect 5 is already here.
Sadly, I believe you’re right.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong...but if they can’t fix this and you’ve brought it in 3 times already, are we not in the lemon law arena?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This pretty much explains it lol.
One thing I will mention...sometimes it's the dealership more so than RAM or FCA themselves. I have a dealer/service center right near where I live and I have one 20 miles away...Let me just put it this way...the one 20 miles away is Waaay more worth the trip.

rlc2020

Reaction score
LEMON LAW IT, I DID!!!
Same exact thing happened to me with my Nav8.4 unit. Bluetooth was basically useless. Had it in twice and they told me the same thing they told you. "we will have an update coming at some point" and they were going to do ZERO for me until this magical update arrived. It never came after 2yrs of owning the truck.
Used a lemon law attorney, got me a $6,000 settlement from FCA and he took $2k of that. Well worth it for me. Nice chunk of change for my troubles. Seriously, just bring it in whatever the required amount of visits are for your states rules. Mine was 4 and I brought it in 3 times in 3 weeks after the initial 2 visits. They can't say no to a service request. Make sure they state on the invoice what they looked at and that it remains unfixed. After the last visit I faxed my stack of invoices and a copy of the emails from FCA corporate where they admitted that there was no fix and they couldn't do anything for me. It's almost no work at all to have an attorney fight for you, just find one that specialized in lemon law. Good luck

Last edited:

yaksushi

Reaction score
Following, I hope you get this resolved. I would loose my s**t if they gave me that answer!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 12” screen. About two months ago they did an OTA software update that bricked my radio. No stereo, no bluetooth, no hands free, just a screen that’s says XM loading. I had to take it to the dealer 3 times for them to try all kinds of updates, flashes, etc before STAR would supposedly allow them to replace the radio. They finally told me the radio is ordered. Today I called for my weekly check in to see if my new radio was in and low and behold I was told that because so many trucks were affected by the faulty software update that they cannot replace the 12” unit. I just have to wait for someday for them to come up with a new software update that they hope will fix my system.....WTF? I have a 5 month old truck that has been broken for 2 months and that’s the answer I get? I’ve owned a half a dozen Rams and have never been the victim of shady behavior by Ram and well I guess my time is up. Not even sure how to respond to this, even the service manager advised that I call FCA and say this isn’t ok?

I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
RamCares

Grouper

Reaction score
LEMON LAW IT, I DID!!!
Same exact thing happened to me with my Nav8.4 unit. Bluetooth was basically useless. Had it in twice and they told me the same thing they told you. "we will have an update coming at some point" and they were going to do ZERO for me until this magical update arrived. It never came after 2yrs of owning the truck.
Used a lemon law attorney, got me a $6,000 settlement from FCA and he took $2k of that. Well worth it for me. Nice chunk of change for my troubles. Seriously, just bring it in whatever the required amount of visits are for your states rules. Mine was 4 and I brought it in 3 times in 3 weeks after the initial 2 visits. They can't say no to a service request. Make sure they state on the invoice what they looked at and that it remains unfixed. After the last visit I faxed my stack of invoices and a copy of the emails from FCA corporate where they admitted that there was no fix and they couldn't do anything for me. It's almost no work at all to have an attorney fight for you, just find one that specialized in lemon law. Good luck
I'm not sure I follow; FCA bought your truck back (eg: Lemon Law) and in addition, gave you $6K for your troubles?

Or you simply got $6K and still have a broken truck?

rlc2020

Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow; FCA bought your truck back (eg: Lemon Law) and in addition, gave you $6K for your troubles?

Or you simply got $6K and still have a broken truck?
No, because it was not a direct safety issue they refused a buyback on the truck and instead offered a settlement. I didn't feel like going through arbitration so I took the money and continued to wait for the software update that still almost 2yrs later has not come.
Lemon law, at least in Connecticut, gives them 3 options once you file a claim. 1) they buy the vehicle back and refund you your money, 2) they offer a cash settlement and you keep the vehicle with the understanding that they will continue to try to resolve the issue, or 3) they tell you to take a hike and you go through arbitration and the state decides what will happen.

I just sold the truck back to an FCA dealer and pocketed another few $k so I ended up doing alright in the end anyway.

Last edited:

yaksushi

Reaction score
No, because it was not a direct safety issue they refused a buyback on the truck and instead offered a settlement. I didn't feel like going through arbitration so I took the money and continued to wait for the software update that still almost 2yrs later has not come.
Lemon law, at least in Connecticut, gives them 3 options once you file a claim. 1) they buy the vehicle back and refund you your money, 2) they offer a cash settlement and you keep the vehicle with the understanding that they will continue to try to resolve the issue, or 3) they tell you to take a hike and you go through arbitration and the state decides what will happen.

I just sold the truck back to an FCA dealer and pocketed another few $k so I ended up doing alright in the end anyway.
Wow surprised you stuck with FCA after all of that. That would cause any sort of brand loyalty of mine to vanish!

rlc2020

Reaction score
Wow surprised you stuck with FCA after all of that. That would cause any sort of brand loyalty of mine to vanish!
I'm not loyal to them, there's just nothing I liked better to go to really. Now that I've sold the truck I'm a free agent, I'll be looking at chevy/gmc as well as Ram when I buy the next one.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
Man I feel for you on this fiasco.

Hopefully with the trx having the 12in screen there will be enough pressure from folks paying 100k for a truck that FCA fixes the bugs/defects.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of people have likened the 12" screen as a nice 70" TV that looks promising on the show room floor, just to find out when you get home it only projects in standard definition. So much promise, but the software and functionality was an afterthought in pre-production. I hope they can make this right for you, man.

Users who are viewing this thread