5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hate Ash trees..

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess more specifically I should say that I hate the Emerald Ash Borer which is the pest that has killed all of the Ash trees in this part of the country. We had high wind yesterday and a dead Ash tree broke about 30 ft above the ground. The top half then did a spear into the ground with lots of loose branches hanging above it tangled up into other trees. I tried to untangle the mess with a 29 HP tractor. No dice. Tried to do it with the EcoD, rear locker engaged, 4-low. No dice. I guess I'm going to ask the neighbor if I can borrow her 5-series John Deere. This is ridiculous. I took it easy because I didn't want to break the truck but clearly with the tires spinning it wasn't working anyhow.

Screenshots_2020-11-16-18-09-47.png

John Brereton

Reaction score
Sounds like you just need to break the saw out

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

John Brereton

Reaction score
That would probably be a big hole to dig before it starts moving

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah my saw doesn't have a long enough bar to cut it. And even if it did it's a dangerous cut because it's laying up against the trunk. No way to know which direction it would fall during the cut. I'm going to try digging around the base a little and then either hit it with the neighbor's big 4x4 Deere or daisy-chain a couple of pickup trucks together and drag it out. Bad thing about it is that I'm getting estimates from fencing crews to run a fence through this exact area so I gotta' get it cleaned up and safe soon.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can not believe it is that far in the ground. But guess I am not there. Loosen the ground or cut the tree...if the neighbors tractor doesnt work

Users who are viewing this thread