5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Can't Get the Latest Software Updates Unless...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
...there's a problem that can be reproduced by the dealership. I'm told this is because the newer version(s) may cause issues where there weren't any before. "If you're truck is running good with the current software you should leave well enough alone" is what I've been told by my service advisor(s) over the 1+ years (and 7 warranty visits) I've had the truck for.

This is my first new vehicle so this whole process is new to me. I'm used to having a used truck and when something's wrong I go to my forums, watch some YouTube videos, then spend a Saturday in the driveway with my tools.

Every time I take it in I ask them to check for any software updates and they tell me that the only modules they'll update are the ones that have a reproducible issue. Logically, I can see the point they make that I could create a problem where there isn't one. After a few visits I drink the Kool-Aid and buy into "if it ain't broke don't fix it" (but still request updates each time).

After 15 months of this, yesterday I get an e-mail from my dealership. In this e-mail (because I'm a 'loyal customer') they send me some coupons, including this one:

Coupon.jpg

I can pay $80 to have ALL of my modules updated??!!?!? And it could prevent future problems???!?

I think maybe I'll use their marketing against them on my next visit (round 4 for tailgate cable slack) and tell them that my modules need updating to prevent future issues. ;)

My dealership has been really good about stuff but module updates and my intermittent radio issues have been non-starters every visit.

It's just frustrating when the left hand isn't talking to the right hand. Regardless, they're going to bill FCA for it and get paid. FCA (excuse me, STELLANTIS) should everything they can for the first 36K miles to make the owner happy so he/she is happy and recommends a RAM truck to their friends?

Word of mouth is great advertising. My dad liked my Big Horn so much he ordered his own 2020 Limited.

Maconi

Reaction score
At first it sounded like they were just being lazy but unless I'm misunderstanding, it sounds like the dealership is trying to fleece customers for stuff that should be covered under warranty already (so they get paid by the customer and then by FCA)?

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At first it sounded like they were just being lazy but unless I'm misunderstanding, it sounds like the dealership is trying to fleece customers for stuff that should be covered under warranty already (so they get paid by the customer and then by FCA)?
That is my assessment.

Paultg

Reaction score
They could only be applying that coupon to folks not under warranty anymore, but you never know. - Paul G.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is a general coupon so it would apply to anyone outside of warranty.

My point was that any time I ask for updates they tell me they’ll only do it if there’s a problem because the new software may create one. Then I get a coupon that tells me I should be updating to the latest software to prevent problems. Just more mixed messages.

Paultg

Reaction score
I hear ya. I sell HVAC equipment, some with built in controls and logic. I've been burned before where I install the latest firmware at start-up, only to get a message weeks later that they made a mistake and that version should be removed....
I pretty much use 1 version old now, never the latest, unless it's been out for a few months.
So not defending the dealership here, but I do understand what they say. I guess one thing you could do is ask:
1. How old is the software on my vehicle
2. How many version have been published by Chrysler since

Depending on the answer it should really be your decision if the work is done or not (in my opinion).
I don't think it's up to them, unless they are instructed by Chrysler to only do them when problems are experienced?
If the newer software causes an issue then they have to fix that under warranty anyway. So I don't get their desire to talk you out of it.

bravo1

Reaction score
So from what I understand is that each complaint log in drivability concerns is VIN specific, meaning a body control module installed on 6/4/2020 might not be the same as one installed on 6/4/2018 during the initial run up to production.So the dealership may not get paid for the update just because of a complaint on drivability.So if your VIN does not qualify for a complaint the tech may look elsewhere for solving your concern.A VIN number if first submitted via ORD port connection if the VIN is available it will allow the tech to update for the vin for that concern.This procedure started as to not just issue a blanket flash update anymore causing tons of cars/suvs/trucks wanting the update causing huge warranty expense's for manufacture and dealerships.Ford/GM also have this practice in place as well.The Big 3 have been working with there dealer network to agree on allowing this service to be done without a visit to the store.And tying up tech's doing useless updates that do nothing for the truck because the part or software or design changed was already done at the floor assembly line, per RAM engineering..Also these new trucks will have SAT firmware, that will look at the incoming flash update and then check VIN and guess what you will in the future be driving along and in the back ground a software update to say radio,a/c control, transmission shift, will occur.From S.A.E also during there last conference they were stating that this OTA system will look at stored faults between visit to dealership will see them and offer a flash update if it see's the fault stored.

U

User_3336

Define "NEW".

..Also these new trucks will have SAT firmware, that will look at the incoming flash update and then check VIN and guess what you will in the future be driving along and in the back ground a software update to say radio,a/c control, transmission shift, will occur.From S.A.E also during there last conference they were stating that this OTA system will look at stored faults between visit to dealership will see them and offer a flash update if it see's the fault stored.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You should never update a module unless it’s to fix a actual problem. Shops that do will get bit. BMW used to do this- full vehicle level. They have gotten back away from that. As they got bit, bad.

Only other update(powertrain only) modules was the 6.0 diesel which was only software to help diag that miserable mess

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
...there's a problem that can be reproduced by the dealership. I'm told this is because the newer version(s) may cause issues where there weren't any before. "If you're truck is running good with the current software you should leave well enough alone" is what I've been told by my service advisor(s) over the 1+ years (and 7 warranty visits) I've had the truck for.

This is my first new vehicle so this whole process is new to me. I'm used to having a used truck and when something's wrong I go to my forums, watch some YouTube videos, then spend a Saturday in the driveway with my tools.

Every time I take it in I ask them to check for any software updates and they tell me that the only modules they'll update are the ones that have a reproducible issue. Logically, I can see the point they make that I could create a problem where there isn't one. After a few visits I drink the Kool-Aid and buy into "if it ain't broke don't fix it" (but still request updates each time).

After 15 months of this, yesterday I get an e-mail from my dealership. In this e-mail (because I'm a 'loyal customer') they send me some coupons, including this one:

View attachment 62303

I can pay $80 to have ALL of my modules updated??!!?!? And it could prevent future problems???!?

I think maybe I'll use their marketing against them on my next visit (round 4 for tailgate cable slack) and tell them that my modules need updating to prevent future issues. ;)

My dealership has been really good about stuff but module updates and my intermittent radio issues have been non-starters every visit.

It's just frustrating when the left hand isn't talking to the right hand. Regardless, they're going to bill FCA for it and get paid. FCA (excuse me, STELLANTIS) should everything they can for the first 36K miles to make the owner happy so he/she is happy and recommends a RAM truck to their friends?

Word of mouth is great advertising. My dad liked my Big Horn so much he ordered his own 2020 Limited.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this is happening. Please DM us with more details so I can look into this further.

Alison
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread