5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HVAC Teardown Bounty

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll pay someone $5 who can tear down a 2019 DT HVAC system and show pictures of the flappers, blend doors, whatever that can answer a lot of these questions like heat mixing in, vent position with defrost leakage, etc.

Anyone else want to up the ante? If enough of us want to part with what amounts to a rounding error of a Hellwig, Pedal Commander, exhaust, wheels, etc. we could make it worth someone's time to find a junked DT or even tear into a new one.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What the heck? 115 views, now on the 2nd page and no one else with AC or defroster issues is willing to put up $1 to get visual evidence of what the root cause is?

ldoh

Reaction score
What the heck? 115 views, now on the 2nd page and no one else with AC or defroster issues is willing to put up $1 to get visual evidence of what the root cause is?

I see your ante and request you increase it to $1000. :)

But seriously, I've never done this before. How is payment made? Paypal?

I think there's already a tear down video out there for the dash heater core.

Techguy2000

Reaction score
This would seem to be perfect for Rush-in Garage on youtube to do with his wrecked 2019 DT he just fixed back up. He would have the know how for sure.

I'm in for $5

James1414d

Reaction score
Just use a boroscope. Pretty common these days. I think Harbor Freight even has them.

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
Its pretty sad when we have to offer to pay someone to figure out what is wrong with something that ram KNOWS about. I took a survey about my truck yesterday from ram and it mentioned the defrost fogging the windows when it wasn't on

Gsmith223

Reaction score
What are you expecting to find though? if any of the door in the system were malfunctioning like people think the BCM would be throwing a code and FCA would find it and fix it. This is a design issue, they are not running the AC compressors as hard as they should so they can meet EPA fuel standards.

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
What are you expecting to find though? if any of the door in the system were malfunctioning like people think the BCM would be throwing a code and FCA would find it and fix it. This is a design issue, they are not running the AC compressors as hard as they should so they can meet EPA fuel standards.
What would the ac compressor have to do with air leaking through the defrost vent?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are you expecting to find though?

I think the test I'll run will be to see how the blend doors open/close and to what degree - the main issue plaguing owners seems to be that the Driver's vents blow warmer than passenger vents when set in sync and on the coldest setting. That points to the blending door for the DR not being closed fully from the heater core perhaps... in any case, a borescope will do well to show if the flaps close or not, or to what degree

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Hmmm, this has me thinking. Let's say they are restricting it for EPA standards. For me, my AC is not an issue, I even had the family complain a couple weeks ago that it was too cold set at 72 while we were in 100 degree weather in VA Beach. But! I have 3.92 gearing and larger tires so I'm typically running at higher RPMs than others. I also have tinted windows and no sunroof so I know that helps. Food for thought though....

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is some more food for thought...

After 5 trips to the dealership for the AC they found a leak in the discharge hose which they replaced, then added refrigerant and recharged the system. After that they tested the system with the AC temp on low, fan speed 3 driver vent blowing 48 degrees and passenger 43 degrees. Changed the fan speed to 7 (Max AC), the driver vent temp went up to 55 degrees and passenger to 51 degrees.

Both tests on recirculate, only difference was fan speed. They said "Difference is the amount of air flow and the length of run for air to travel.”. All temps are within specs so it’s performing as expected.

Also they didn’t give me a good explanation as to why when it’s on Max AC and you switch to “Auto” the fan speed goes higher even though there isn’t a higher speed to select. Just told me that’s the way the other DT trucks on their lot work so that was good enough for them.

Thought Max AC was supposed to blow the hardest with the coldest air? None of it makes any sense to me. This is unlike every other vehicle that I have ever driven.

Gsmith223

Reaction score

After 5 trips to the dealership for the AC they found a leak in the discharge hose which they replaced, then added refrigerant and recharged the system. After that they tested the system with the AC temp on low, fan speed 3 driver vent blowing 48 degrees and passenger 43 degrees. Changed the fan speed to 7 (Max AC), the driver vent temp went up to 55 degrees and passenger to 51 degrees.

Both tests on recirculate, only difference was fan speed. They said "Difference is the amount of air flow and the length of run for air to travel.”. All temps are within specs so it’s performing as expected.

Also they didn’t give me a good explanation as to why when it’s on Max AC and you switch to “Auto” the fan speed goes higher even though there isn’t a higher speed to select. Just told me that’s the way the other DT trucks on their lot work so that was good enough for them.

Thought Max AC was supposed to blow the hardest with the coldest air? None of it makes any sense to me. This is unlike every other vehicle that I have ever driven.
I thought about this too and the length of the run does make since as to why the temps are different. But just thinking about it more the two center vents are almost the same distance from the air box so I dont think that is it either.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Actually, I don't understand how that works either. 7 is the maximum but it appears there might be an "8" setting because if you switch to auto you can hear the fan gear up another level. But I always just use it on 7 and recirc and max AC and my air ends up too cold to where it has to be turned down.

If anyone actually does tear the system apart and make videos, hell I'll go with the OP and toss in my couple bucks ; I'm always interested in the furthering of science :) . I don't think we're going to learn anything but you never know. You'd have to have the covers and stuff open and still be able to operate the system to see what's going on - so the scope idea might really be the best one.

Firepower2010

Reaction score
I will toss in some money too, this HVAC system in the new DT is terrible, and in my opinion has some SERIOUS engineering issues. If someone could document what these failures in engineering are, it would open up the doors for a REAL engineering fix from FCA, as they could not run from it anymore, or could face a call action against them for faulty engineering.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Recirc probably seems like a different fan level, but the difference in RPM is likely due to having a shorter intake path feeding the blower.

Users who are viewing this thread