5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hummer

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha yeah no doubt. That crab crawl feature it has sure is cool.
I sure miss that about my old (2003) Quadrasteer. It had a ridiculously tight turning radius at low speeds, but it crab-steered at 45+ mph. Check out this old video:
Also note that Ford is testing the exact same concept right now...TFL did a video on a test mule last year.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i guess when companies offer 60 month leases and 10 year car loans, the price of cars will continue to go up :/ definitely not buying any GM product at six figures unless its a vette

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have to say that this thing is pretty freaking impressive...like a much faster and quieter TRX. It will dust just about anything short of a Tesla or supercar off the line (on just about any surface), and yet it looks like it can outclimb Jeeps and Power Wagons with full skid-plating, rock rails, fitment for 37" tires, crab steering, and 6" of additional suspension height (from an already raised position) when needed. It also has 4 T-tops that can store under the hood, a 350-mile range, and a ton of technology. GM did their homework here.

Fortunately, all of the "Edition 1" were sold out before I logged on, as that's the one I'd want. Now that I've seen "the beast", I don't want a model with less power, less range, etc. On the plus side, by the time I can get all of those features (2024-2025), there will probably be better batteries with longer range, even more power, a refreshed exterior, more accessories, etc. So the Longhorn is completely safe for a few years...or until the next manufacturer drops their EV hammer ;)

It will outperform many competitors on road, but I doubt it will outperform much off road. It's just too heavy. I've seen the power wagon struggle to climb a hill that a jeep or zr2 just laughed at. Weight is the enemy of off roading.

HydroRebel

Reaction score
I sure miss that about my old (2003) Quadrasteer. It had a ridiculously tight turning radius at low speeds, but it crab-steered at 45+ mph. Check out this old video:
Also note that Ford is testing the exact same concept right now...TFL did a video on a test mule last year.
Nice! I'm not interested in buying a Hummer by no means but that 11,500 lb/ft of torque sure is interesting.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It will outperform many competitors on road, but I doubt it will outperform much off road. It's just too heavy. I've seen the power wagon struggle to climb a hill that a jeep or zr2 just laughed at. Weight is the enemy of off roading.
Tell me again the weight of the Hummer H1 Alpha?

(> 8,100 lbs)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm a little dumb, but I'm not sure whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with my comment. :)
Very few people would question the off road capability of the (very) heavy Hummer. So it would seem that weight is (in some cases) irrelevant.

silver billet

Reaction score
Very few people would question the off road capability of the (very) heavy Hummer. So it would seem that weight is (in some cases) irrelevant.

I'm not questioning whether it can go off road, I'm just comparing it to the competition (wrangler, zr2), both which will do better off road than any heavier truck/suv.

When it comes down to it, off roading is about clearance, traction, torque, and size. The heavier those things get (power wagon, same problem), the worse traction they have (say) climbing up rocky trails. Nathan from TFL Truck demonstrated this very clearly in the power wagon, and I've been very unimpressed with Andre's heavy pig of a hummer trying to haul it's butt up those gravelly/rocky trails. They do not do it very well compared to a stock rubicon.

So despite the fact that it has all the other off road goodies like clearance and torque and 4wd with locking diffs, it will never overcome a competitor with the same goodies, but one that weighs significantly less.

Just my 2 cents. Weight is going to kill that thing for offroad usage.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not questioning whether it can go off road, I'm just comparing it to the competition (wrangler, zr2), both which will do better off road than any heavier truck/suv.

When it comes down to it, off roading is about clearance, traction, torque, and size. The heavier those things get (power wagon, same problem), the worse traction they have (say) climbing up rocky trails. Nathan from TFL Truck demonstrated this very clearly in the power wagon, and I've been very unimpressed with Andre's heavy pig of a hummer trying to haul it's butt up those gravelly/rocky trails. They do not do it very well compared to a stock rubicon.

So despite the fact that it has all the other off road goodies like clearance and torque and 4wd with locking diffs, it will never overcome a competitor with the same goodies, but one that weighs significantly less.

Just my 2 cents. Weight is going to kill that thing for offroad usage.
I see your point. I do think there are exceptions. The H1 was able to do things that no vehicle (at least, no production vehicle) had ever done, such as driving in and out of the “Witch’s Cauldron”. Weight was never a challenge (at over 4 tons). But width was sometimes a problem!

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Come to Canada, local dealer here getting a launch edition TRX price is north of $130K. :(

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the surface its slick looking and looks futuristic and cool. To me its still an electric 1 trick pony that is so overpriced i doubt anyone but eco nuts will buy it. I think electric cars are great for the city but i would never own one living out in the country. My prediction is they wind up putting the hummer line back to sleep.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Insane. Friends think I'm nuts for dropping the $$ on a $67K stickered Pickup.

NOT HAPPENING.

I'm disappointed that FCA is going to do a $100K Grand Wagoneer - instead of something more reasonable under the Dodge or Ram label. $100K Jeep? In yer DREAMS.

Rick

Scram1500

Reaction score
Come to Canada, local dealer here getting a launch edition TRX price is north of $130K. :(
Holy crap. That's a lot of free health care
Insane. Friends think I'm nuts for dropping the $$ on a $67K stickered Pickup.

NOT HAPPENING.

I'm disappointed that FCA is going to do a $100K Grand Wagoneer - instead of something more reasonable under the Dodge or Ram label. $100K Jeep? In yer DREAMS.

Rick
I wonder if that $100K Grand Wagoneer will have lousy AC and the same $2 paint job as my orange peeled Ram

Maconi

Reaction score
Nice! I'm not interested in buying a Hummer by no means but that 11,500 lb/ft of torque sure is interesting.
That's wheel torque though. Motor torque is "only" 1000 lb-ft (still more than double our trucks) .

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's engine torque though. Wheel torque is "only" 1000 lb-ft (still more than double our trucks) .
Hmm...driveline losses are typically much less in an EV (no shafts needed). How’d you get that number for the Hummer? (Also note that our trucks have engine torque of 410 lb-ft...we get maybe low-300s to the wheels).

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
I watched the video posted earlier. Fascinating tech. Its max charge rate is 350 kW. You'll need an industrial rated electric service delivery if you want to quick charge this beast.

All the features certainly make the $110k seem almost reasonable, but I just can see someone wheeling their $110k vehicle at Uwharrie. A few years back when I was wheeling my Jeep there we saw some Hummers try to make it through the Daniel trail and it just wasn't working out for them, but with 16" of clearance, underbody spotter cameras, crab mode and the ability for the rear wheels to steer, who knows. It might make it through some of those tricky spots.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I watched the video posted earlier. Fascinating tech. Its max charge rate is 350 kW. You'll need an industrial rated electric service delivery if you want to quick charge this beast.

All the features certainly make the $110k seem almost reasonable, but I just can see someone wheeling their $110k vehicle at Uwharrie. A few years back when I was wheeling my Jeep there we saw some Hummers try to make it through the Daniel trail and it just wasn't working out for them, but with 16" of clearance, underbody spotter cameras, crab mode and the ability for the rear wheels to steer, who knows. It might make it through some of those tricky spots.
I’ll admit that I’d probably baby this thing...at least for a few years. I suppose it takes someone with plenty of disposable income to pick one of these up and abuse them right out of the gate. Hopefully that person will record video when they do!

Maconi

Reaction score
Hmm...driveline losses are typically much less in an EV (no shafts needed). How’d you get that number for the Hummer? (Also note that our trucks have engine torque of 410 lb-ft...we get maybe low-300s to the wheels).
This video mentions it at 8:35. On that note, I somehow flipped wheel/motor in my previous post. It should make more sense now lol.

Users who are viewing this thread