5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How's your mileage?

1guyandtools

Reaction score
Just got my 2020 Rebel with eTorque. Setup stock for now. Getting 16ish at around 70, 14.5ish around 80. Is this normal? Does is get any better as the motor breaks in? I didn't buy this for mileage, but just wondering. It's only got like 375 miles.
Longhorn 5.7 hemi, 3:21 gears. 4 corner air. First few hundred miles getting 15-16. I have 7000 miles on now and getting 18- 20 running 75-80. Mostly freeway miles. I have a topper and bedslide which means I'm always running around with 500 lbs or more extra in the bed

41magmag41

Reaction score
I have the bighorn, quad cab and 4x4 with a 5.7 with regular 8 speed and the 3.92 rear end. The truck is 5 months old with 13890 miles on her. Yes I bought her new and she only had 16 miles on her. My mpg runs from 18.7 to 21 depending on type of driving. Commute to work is 60 per cent highway at 80 mph plus at 0500 in the morning, to some local roads. I have never dropped below 17.8 mpg. these figures are via computer and double checked long hand. I also run full synthetic oil in her and feed her midgrade (89) gas as suggested in the manual.

StrangeGuy

Reaction score
I think that a 2x4 Rebel is about 400 lbs less weight. Does anyone think that you would even notice the gas savings if you had a 2x4?

RNB

Reaction score
Just arrived home 645 miles on my Limited with 3.21 gears showed 19.5 at 75 to 80 rolling hills

PaulPaladin

Reaction score
Left Greenville SC with a full tank. Drove 245 miles to Kiawah Island. Had cruise control set at 77mph for 90% of the drive. Took 13.7 gallons when I got here. 17.88 mpg.

Using 89 octane ethanol-free, tire pressure 55F/48R and I have a tonneau cover which maybe helps some.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Highway mileage is getting better now but the 2nd I hit the city, my mix driving drops like a rock.

About 18 mpg highway (pretty hilly terrain), about 10 mpg city, 13.5 mpg mixed.

Downytide

Reaction score
Have 2600km on the truck now, crew cab, no air suspension , avg 15mpg on mix driving, best so far is 20mpg on hwy, I noticed if I accelerate too slow it get crap mileage in the city, but if it's brisk, then it's actually pretty alright.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had my Rebel for over a year now, very heavy foot and I maintain a decent 14.5mpg combined average. Started at 11mpg combined at delivery and has only continued to improve. I do very little highway, another reason for the lower overall average.

RebelKatyTX

Reaction score
2019 Ram Rebel with 3.92 rear end and Etorque purchased new several weeks ago. Just turned around 1,300 miles. On my 4th tank of 87 gas. Most all miles so far are highway miles. Posted speed limit here in Montana on Interstates is 80 mph. At 80 I get around 15 MPG at best. I have dropped my speed most times to 70 to 75 mph to see if that helps . At those speeds I am at 15.6 to 15.7 MPG. Some suggest with more break in mileage, my MPG will get better. I am not optimistic that will happen. My last two trucks, GMC Sierra 1500 4WDs (2015 and 2018) with 6.2L, with direct injection, and factory 22” wheels/tires, driven between 80 to 85 mph on same highways averaged 22 MPG. Understand they are two different style of trucks, just wish the Ram Rebel could do better. Good or bad it is what it is.

I traded in a 2015 LTZ 6.2L 2WD and was getting 23 MPG on highway and 17 MPG in city. Towing a 18’ enclosed 7’tall cargo trailer fully loaded at 75MPH I was getting 15.5 MPG! The Rebel is lucky to get 16 MPG on the highway after 4500 miles. That being said, I love my Rebel and am ok dealing with the higher fuel costs.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I traded in a 2015 LTZ 6.2L 2WD and was getting 23 MPG on highway and 17 MPG in city. Towing a 18’ enclosed 7’tall cargo trailer fully loaded at 75MPH I was getting 15.5 MPG! The Rebel is lucky to get 16 MPG on the highway after 4500 miles. That being said, I love my Rebel and am ok dealing with the higher fuel costs.

I traded in a 2015 F150 2.7L Ecoboost 2WD, which honestly is faster than my Hemi and got me 19 mpg mixed driving, even higher on the highway. However, I too am willing to deal with the higher fuel cost because I absolutely love my Rebel. The beauty inside and out, all the amenities and the sense of occasion when driving my Hemi (with aftermarket exhaust) makes it all worth it.

Big BLU

Reaction score
Just over a year of ownership, I have over 17,000 miles. I'm pretty good at hyper molding and can only get between 15-16. Screw the stupid sticker. Total fraud if you ask me. I know our rebels won't get good mileage, but come on that's why we buy them. Just tell the damn truth. What I do is not worry about the mpg, but the milage from the full tank. I was only getting around 320-350 per tank. Now I'm up to 380-400. 26 gal tank. I'll tell ya on the beach low pressure she's a beast and very confident. Lesser trucks wouldn't be a good choice for me.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Just over a year of ownership, I have over 17,000 miles. I'm pretty good at hyper molding and can only get between 15-16. Screw the stupid sticker. Total fraud if you ask me. I know our rebels won't get good mileage, but come on that's why we buy them. Just tell the damn truth. What I do is not worry about the mpg, but the milage from the full tank. I was only getting around 320-350 per tank. Now I'm up to 380-400. 26 gal tank. I'll tell ya on the beach low pressure she's a beast and very confident. Lesser trucks wouldn't be a good choice for me.

FCA decided to use the blanked EPA rating for all their RAMs, which in this case was probably a 1500 crewcab with street tires and 3.21 rear axle. They could have used a exemption like GM did with their Silverado Trail Boss, which is a similar type trim to the Rebel, which they lowered the mpg estimate compared to regular Silverados.

They decided not to, which will be a shock to people who don't understand how much 33" tires and 3.92 rear axle can effect a truck.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Hit 3000km on mine the other day and since I picked it up my average (according to the computer anyways) is 17L/100km (so 13.8mpg) and I do about 90% highway driving in no traffic... so def not impressed. Weather has been cool so no AC needed and not cold enough for heat yet, so climate controls have been off for past few weeks. Not sure if they are advertised differently here in Canada but the Rebel has it's own advertised fuel economy different than the other models (higher of course) which is 29mpg highway and 23mpg city (ya, right!). So, I am quite off even if being generous on advertised figures. Have the large tank in mine and already filled it up 4x since buying it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Hit 3000km on mine the other day and since I picked it up my average (according to the computer anyways) is 17L/100km (so 13.8mpg) and I do about 90% highway driving in no traffic... so def not impressed. Weather has been cool so no AC needed and not cold enough for heat yet, so climate controls have been off for past few weeks. Not sure if they are advertised differently here in Canada but the Rebel has it's own advertised fuel economy different than the other models (higher of course) which is 29mpg highway and 23mpg city (ya, right!). So, I am quite off even if being generous on advertised figures. Have the large tank in mine and already filled it up 4x since buying it.

Nope, you are never going to get anywhere close the EPA sticker on the Rebel. FCA used a blanket EPA rating for all their RAMs regardless of trim, your sticker is based likely on a RAM with 31" street tires and 3.21 rear axle. The Rebel has 33" tires and 3.92 rear axle. Factor in the slightly higher ride height and no front aero apron and your mpg is going to be quite a bit less.

If pure highway, I can get 19 mpg. However the second you do any city driving and it drops like a rock. I get about 14 mpg with a 75% highway mix.

Users who are viewing this thread