5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How's your mileage?

RAMpage

Reaction score
Nope, you are never going to get anywhere close the EPA sticker on the Rebel. FCA used a blanket EPA rating for all their RAMs regardless of trim, your sticker is based likely on a RAM with 31" street tires and 3.21 rear axle. The Rebel has 33" tires and 3.92 rear axle. Factor in the slightly higher ride height and no front aero apron and your mpg is going to be quite a bit less.

If pure highway, I can get 19 mpg. However the second you do any city driving and it drops like a rock. I get about 14 mpg with a 75% highway mix.

Other models with diff engines/rear end options have higher government figures here, the one on the Rebel is unique to it. Seems like they guessed that the Rebel with the 3.92 and those tires would only be "___% worse" but in reality it's that figure figure times 5 worse.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Other models with diff engines/rear end options have higher government figures here, the one on the Rebel is unique to it. Seems like they guessed that the Rebel with the 3.92 and those tires would only be "___% worse" but in reality it's that figure figure times 5 worse.

Absolutely, they are broken down by cab type, drive type, engine type and with or without E-Toque.

The Rebel is under the same mpg has Crew Cab 4x4 (or 4x2) 5.7L (ET or Without) with street tires and 3.21 rear axle. Essentially the 15/22 or 15/21 rated trucks depending on 4x2 or 4x4.

FCA could have done an exception on the Rebel like GM did with the Trail Boss, but they decided not to.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Absolutely, they are broken down by cab type, drive type, engine type and with or without E-Toque.

The Rebel is under the same mpg has Crew Cab 4x4 (or 4x2) 5.7L (ET or Without) with street tires and 3.21 rear axle. Essentially the 15/22 or 15/21 rated trucks depending on 4x2 or 4x4.

FCA could have done an exception on the Rebel like GM did with the Trail Boss, but they decided not to.

Ah it's different here. Can't get a 4x2 and can't get the ET on the Rebel here.

Ramgoose

Reaction score

Just went from Vegas to Huntington Beach this past Saturday and back on Sunday. 577 miles averaged 19.2 @ 72-77 mph. That’s my best ever. A lot of wind and climbing if you know the drive. Day to day in Henderson/Vegas 17-17.2.
19 Rebel 5.7 ET, 392’S, 9,300 miles, Always use 89 octane
NFAB RUNNING BOARDS, BED RUG.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Ah it's different here. Can't get a 4x2 and can't get the ET on the Rebel here.

Oh gotcha, the 2WD Rebel is pretty rare even in the US, but it's popular in the western states with deserts that have a history of Baja type off-roading, which is often done with 2WD.

It's essentially identical to the 4WD Rebel other than not actually having the 4WD system, the suspension, locker, wheels/tires, even the skid plate under the non-existent transfer case is there.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
14.6 MPG from Fl. to Md.
Was mainly 80 or so MPH the whole trip. Not bad for a 5700 pound truck with 3.92 rear, 4X4 and 33`s

PedalMonk

Reaction score
My first full tank of gas was terrible. I got 12.1 MPG. I know it will get a little better with a few thousand miles, but come on. It's not even close to the sticker. My 2009 showed something like 15-19 and I probably got 13 before mods and 11-12 after mods. I have the etorque as well, so I was honestly expecting 14-15 minimum and hitting 17 once in a while. Now I'm disappointed that it looks like it will never happen. I mean it says CITY 17. I would expect close to that.

There are a few class action lawsuits for fuel economies being inflated. Ford F150 2017-2019 being one of them.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My first full tank of gas was terrible. I got 12.1 MPG. I know it will get a little better with a few thousand miles, but come on. It's not even close to the sticker. My 2009 showed something like 15-19 and I probably got 13 before mods and 11-12 after mods. I have the etorque as well, so I was honestly expecting 14-15 minimum and hitting 17 once in a while. Now I'm disappointed that it looks like it will never happen. I mean it says CITY 17. I would expect close to that.

There are a few class action lawsuits for fuel economies being inflated. Ford F150 2017-2019 being one of them.

Never going to happen, not with 33" tires and 3.92 rear axle. You honestly will be lucky to get 14-15 mixed (50/50 highway/city). This is assuming you got a light foot. I think 19 mph highway is possible, but that's pure highway, meaning you reset your computer once you hit the highway. Pure city, stop and go with lots of idling, you will be at about 10 mpg.

RAMpage

Reaction score
I am hoping it gets better but with winter soon approaching I doubt it. Currently my 2013 Sport w/35's was better and even the old '02 Lightning! (ok well maybe not the Lightning but it was close!)

Sullyman

Reaction score
Mine is 15.7 mpg “pure highway” driving at between 70 to 75 mph on a 80 mph posted highway consisting of a combination of flat straightaways and hills.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Hit 3000km on mine the other day and since I picked it up my average (according to the computer anyways) is 17L/100km (so 13.8mpg) and I do about 90% highway driving in no traffic... so def not impressed. Weather has been cool so no AC needed and not cold enough for heat yet, so climate controls have been off for past few weeks. Not sure if they are advertised differently here in Canada but the Rebel has it's own advertised fuel economy different than the other models (higher of course) which is 29mpg highway and 23mpg city (ya, right!). So, I am quite off even if being generous on advertised figures. Have the large tank in mine and already filled it up 4x since buying it.

Yours must be different from mine as mines only rated at 16.1L/100Km City(17.5mpg Imperial) and 11L/100km Hwy(25.8mpg imperial) and combined 13.8L/100km Combined(20.4mpg imperial). Best highway I have seen is 12.4l/100km(22.7mpg imperial). I am at 7400km right now and its gone up around 1mpg since new. I track my mileage on fuelly.com

willypilgrim

Reaction score
New forum member, I'm 1 week into owning a used 2019 Rebel 5.7 w/ Etorque.

We took the new truck on a weekend trip from Portland, OR, to Bend / Sun River, OR. Trip was around 550 miles and I averaged 19.5 mpg. The drive included mountain passes, climbing, 45-65 mph 2 lane highways, 65-75 mph stretches on 4 lanes, a bunch of passing, in town driving, etc.

Truck handled great, was super comfortable, passes anything with ease, and I think 19.5 was a great average given the driving conditions encountered. Super happy with the truck. It definitely takes a little learning to get used to the best way it 'wants' to be driven, but as others echoed online, it really seems to do best when you get it up to speed quickly with a heavier foot and then lay off and coast as much as you can, as opposed to a slow steady acceleration up to speed.

RVC

Reaction score
My mileage is not great. But some if it is self inflicted. I was getting around 14 mixed 60% highway and 40% city. 18.5 on highway at 70-75 mph. I put new wheels and tires on it and lost some MPG. My wheels and tires weigh 105 per wheel and tire, stocks were about 85 per wheel and tire, so I have 20lbs more weight on each corner. The rims are Dropstars 657BM and weigh 42lbs a piece compared to the stickers at 30ish per wheel. The tires are 33x12.50x20 Toyo Open Country AT2 Xtreme load rating F weigh 63lbs each, also I run less air in the Toyos than the Duratracs. I have been getting 17mpg even at 72-73 mph . I may air up to 45 psi from 36psi to see if my mpg goes up, depending on how it rides of coarse.

Pribilof

Reaction score
Never going to happen, not with 33" tires and 3.92 rear axle. You honestly will be lucky to get 14-15 mixed (50/50 highway/city). This is assuming you got a light foot. I think 19 mph highway is possible, but that's pure highway, meaning you reset your computer once you hit the highway. Pure city, stop and go with lots of idling, you will be at about 10 mpg.

My numbers match this post almost exactly.

Rogues Gambit

Reaction score
13.5-14.2, depending on whether I'm driving mostly to places or in the city or around town

21k miles in almost 9 months, love my Truck thus far!

Downytide

Reaction score
Right now the truck is sitting at around 12,000km on the odo, I've done my break in oil change already, the truck still sits on stock Duratrac, no e-torque,this was the best I've had so far, this is on a country road heading home with speed averaging 50mph, this was not an instant consumption readout but you can see I had traveled about 60km since fuel up, had 3 adults incld me in the truck and some stuff in the bed, so may be 700lbs of load, it was 3c or around 37f, I always use 87 fuel.

This translate to 22mpg, even after driving around today I'm averaging almost 20mpg
NBfxXyB.jpg

On the hwy it gets worse, but that's expected, this was a pleasant surprise to me since on same route in a Tundra barely cracks 15mpg.

dpregs

Reaction score
I use 87 octane. I have 1600 miles on mine. If I drive easy to and from work which is mostly 35-40mph backroads I get around 13-13.5. If I drive like I want I get 12.5.

5.7 non e-torque, 3.92

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I use 87 octane. I have 1600 miles on mine. If I drive easy to and from work which is mostly 35-40mph backroads I get around 13-13.5. If I drive like I want I get 12.5.

5.7 non e-torque, 3.92

That's about right. I never noticed an increase in mpg with either 89 or 91 octane over regular. In fact, I think my worst mpg was on premium, though so many other variables that it's probably coincidental data. I still use 91 just because at Costco you can't get 89 and it's cheaper than other stations 87. Though I may just which to Costco 87.

Downytide

Reaction score

5.7 non e-torque, 3.92

It gets better after break-in period, I've yet to tow at max rating but going to find out in Spring.

That's about right. I never noticed an increase in mpg with either 89 or 91 octane over regular. In fact, I think my worst mpg was on premium, though so many other variables that it's probably coincidental data. I still use 91 just because at Costco, it's cheaper than regular stations 87.

I used to use Costco gas, but I ran into a huge problem with inconsistent quality on previous STi, it was tuned to run on 91, on every other gas station it was fine but it would knock really really bad on Costco 91, at the end I just didn't find it worth it to drive my way out and wait in line to fill up, doesn't help the one near me closes at 9pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online