5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How's your mileage?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used to use Costco gas, but I ran into a huge problem with inconsistent quality on previous STi, it was tuned to run on 91, on every other gas station it was fine but it would knock really really bad on Costco 91, at the end I just didn't find it worth it to drive my way out and wait in line to fill up, doesn't help the one near me closes at 9pm.

Wow, sorry to hear that. That's the first I've heard of anything negative about Costco gas, at least I haven't heard of any issues in my area or the circles I run in.

Downytide

Reaction score

Kob0583

Reaction score
15-16 Hwy when over 70mph under 70 my mix commute is generally 18-19 3k on the truck so far hoping it will get better after the first oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M1STTRS

Reaction score
First fuel-up in the ecodiesel rebel gave me 21.4 and thats from my calculator, not the truck computer.

Driving conditions: exactly 30 miles to my work each day, 60 total for the day. about 8 miles are city between 25-45. The rest is at 65-75 normal throttle. I remote start the truck each morning for nearly the full 15 mins, same thing before I leave work so i'm sure that affects my calculations.

dpregs

Reaction score
First fuel-up in the ecodiesel rebel gave me 21.4 and thats from my calculator, not the truck computer.

Driving conditions: exactly 30 miles to my work each day, 60 total for the day. about 8 miles are city between 25-45. The rest is at 65-75 normal throttle. I remote start the truck each morning for nearly the full 15 mins, same thing before I leave work so i'm sure that affects my calculations.

That is awesome! I ordered my Rebel before the diesel was available. Wish I had waited a few weeks because I think I would have preferred it, but oh well it is what it is. I have been going EASY on the throttle and I am getting around 15 now.....but if I want to drive it like I stole it...which is how I like to drive I get closer to 11.5 mpg.

brotharon

Reaction score
Bought mine in July. Has about 4000 miles on it now. 2019 Rebel Crew Cab w/o eTorque.

My commute is 4.6 miles in city driving each way. I almost never go on the highway...no need, I live in Houston. Fuelly has me at 15.1 MPG. I think that is ok since I never use cruise control, stop and go traffic from light to light. If I want to see 30+ mpg for my commute I will drive the Miata.

M1STTRS

Reaction score
That is awesome! I ordered my Rebel before the diesel was available. Wish I had waited a few weeks because I think I would have preferred it, but oh well it is what it is. I have been going EASY on the throttle and I am getting around 15 now.....but if I want to drive it like I stole it...which is how I like to drive I get closer to 11.5 mpg.
I'll be honest I love the diesel and its great off road. A part of me wishes I would of grabbed the 5.7 still, mostly because of the horsepower deficit and modification potential. But there are too many benefit to having the diesel. I'm just hoping some good tunes and aftermarket support come along in the next year or so. I wish I could own both! :LOL:

Extole

Reaction score
I do about 50/50 city and highways driving.. I'm only averaging 10.3 mpg and have about 900 miles so far.. I don't have a heavy foot or anything.. I know i didn't buy a truck for the mpg's but are there any tips, tricks you guys recommend aside from the drive slower. Maybe better oil when I get my first oil change? Speaking to dealer about terrible mpg(this probably won't solve anything i know)?

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I do about 50/50 city and highways driving.. I'm only averaging 10.3 mpg and have about 900 miles so far.. I don't have a heavy foot or anything.. I know i didn't buy a truck for the mpg's but are there any tips, tricks you guys recommend aside from the drive slower. Maybe better oil when I get my first oil change? Speaking to dealer about terrible mpg(this probably won't solve anything i know)?
When I had that few miles I was still bit higher than your info--memory is terrible but I think around 12-14 ish.

Check your tire pressure.
Try Midgrade and Premium gas for a tank or two to see if any improvement.
I don't know what the mileage is for break-in period???

How much stop and go traffic do you deal with? Just using the vehicles mileage indicator, when I go on a trip and sit at rest stop my MPG plunges (again this is not manually calculating).

AtlasRam1500

Reaction score
2019 Laramie 3.21 4x4 was 16 city 19-20 hwy 5.7

2019 limited 3.92 4x4 is 13,5 city 17-18 hwy 5.7
what a different

next time i go with the 3.21

Extole

Reaction score
When I had that few miles I was still bit higher than your info--memory is terrible but I think around 12-14 ish.

Check your tire pressure.
Try Midgrade and Premium gas for a tank or two to see if any improvement.
I don't know what the mileage is for break-in period???

How much stop and go traffic do you deal with? Just using the vehicles mileage indicator, when I go on a trip and sit at rest stop my MPG plunges (again this is not manually calculating).
I actually did check tire pressure today, all 4 tires were set at 58 psi from dealer. I got the front two tires down to 55psi and back tires to 45psi as the manufacture recommended on the door sill sticker. Hopefully this will help.

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I actually did check tire pressure today, all 4 tires were set at 58 psi from dealer. I got the front two tires down to 55psi and back tires to 45psi as the manufacture recommended on the door sill sticker. Hopefully this will help.
While it won't be super accurate, you could set one of your trip buttons to zero and ride around for 100 miles see what the tire pressure does to situation. Then go for the midgrade or premium fuel for a tank. Again, just to give you some rough idea of how much the psi and mgg with other fuel will help.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious how many Idle vs Driving Hours you have on your truck?

My experience is that idling your truck for long-ish stretches kills your fuel mileage calculations. We all do it because most trucks come with remote start... so it's nice to come out to a warm, or cold, truck. Also, I'm on the phone for work a lot when I drive and I have a habit of sitting in the truck... in my driveway or parking lot or wherever... until I finish the call. I've pulled in showing 17.7 MPG and finished a call 20 minutes later showing 15.5 MPG. Point is, idle times have a huge impact.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I should also say that for me mileage really improved after the first 1,000 miles on the clock. Wouldn't be surprised if you reset now you'll see an MPG improvement more in line with realistic expectations.

One more thing... this winter my MPG took a big hit. Not too sure why... combination of factors probably: warming the truck up longer for the kids, winter formulation of gas, and maybe increased driveline resistance from the cold. Example, it takes the trans temp a full 15 - 20 minute drive to the highway from my house before it climbs over 100F. My theory is that cold trans fluid would increase driveline drag... impacting mpg. Just a theory.

Users who are viewing this thread