5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How's your mileage?

mac1983620

Reaction score
Just got my 2020 Rebel with eTorque. Setup stock for now. Getting 16ish at around 70, 14.5ish around 80. Is this normal? Does is get any better as the motor breaks in? I didn't buy this for mileage, but just wondering. It's only got like 375 miles.

Derek_Rebel

Reaction score
Lol I have 700 miles on mine. Averaging 14.....I dont have eTorque. I have added a CAI and a cut/replace carven muffler. I dont drive crazy either. But most of my trips are very short.

mac1983620

Reaction score
Lol I have 700 miles on mine. Averaging 14.....I dont have eTorque. I have added a CAI and a cut/replace carven muffler. I dont drive crazy either. But most of my trips are very short.
Did you notice any pressure changes when swapping your muffler? I put a 14" Magnaflow on my old 14 Hemi and it never seemed as fast as stock. Just can't justify blowing a ton of money on cat back exhaust that gives you very minimal gains.

Derek_Rebel

Reaction score
Did you notice any pressure changes when swapping your muffler? I put a 14" Magnaflow on my old 14 Hemi and it never seemed as fast as stock. Just can't justify blowing a ton of money on cat back exhaust that gives you very minimal gains.
It's not the full cat back exhaust. It's the carven muffler swap. Its was $300 and well worth it. I'm not really too concerned with speed with a truck of this size, but needless to say it moves quite well. I dont see or hear any issues with back pressure so far

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Just got my 2020 Rebel with eTorque. Setup stock for now. Getting 16ish at around 70, 14.5ish around 80. Is this normal? Does is get any better as the motor breaks in? I didn't buy this for mileage, but just wondering. It's only got like 375 miles.
My mileage improved after a few tankfuls.

Short-trip errands around town with a lot of stoplights can push me down to 8-9 mpg easily. Sustained moderate freeway - 75 mph or below - usually puts me up to the 21 or 22 mpg range. No etorque but I am dragging around the 4WD weight

Derek_Rebel

Reaction score
My mileage improved after a few tankfuls.

Short-trip errands around town with a lot of stoplights can push me down to 8-9 mpg easily. Sustained moderate freeway - 75 mph or below - usually puts me up to the 21 or 22 mpg range. No etorque but I am dragging around the 4WD weight
Yeah I doubt we will see that, especially with 3.92 gears

mac1983620

Reaction score
Yeah I am only looking for Rebel info, which is why I posted in the Rebel page. Tires and 3.92 are going to make Rebels considerably different.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
2019 Rebel with e-torque. 15.5 city and heavy right foot. 16.5-17.5 highway at 70-80 mph. Fine by me coming from a '17 Tundra that barely broke 15 mpg in any conditions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sullyman

Reaction score
2019 Ram Rebel with 3.92 rear end and Etorque purchased new several weeks ago. Just turned around 1,300 miles. On my 4th tank of 87 gas. Most all miles so far are highway miles. Posted speed limit here in Montana on Interstates is 80 mph. At 80 I get around 15 MPG at best. I have dropped my speed most times to 70 to 75 mph to see if that helps . At those speeds I am at 15.6 to 15.7 MPG. Some suggest with more break in mileage, my MPG will get better. I am not optimistic that will happen. My last two trucks, GMC Sierra 1500 4WDs (2015 and 2018) with 6.2L, with direct injection, and factory 22” wheels/tires, driven between 80 to 85 mph on same highways averaged 22 MPG. Understand they are two different style of trucks, just wish the Ram Rebel could do better. Good or bad it is what it is.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The Rebel is never going to match the EPA numbers, which are a blanket mpg numbers for all RAM trucks. Which I assume was based on 3.21 axle ratio and street oriented tires.

The Rebel has 33" tires, 1" higher ride height and mandatory 3.92 rear axle, which means the lowest mpg rear world compared to the rest of the RAM line. It will get slightly better as your motor breaks in, most notice the biggest increase after a few thousand miles.

I recently was able to maintain 18 mpg on a long highway cruise. However, mixed driving is usually 13 - 14 mpg. If its pure city, about 10 mpg. This is about 4 mpg less than what my F150 2.7L Ecoboost in city/highway/mixed. Once I put on level and 33" tires on the F150, I was getting pretty similar mpg to a stock Rebel.

Last edited:

Diddy Sanchez

Reaction score
Im rollin on 35x12.5 nitto ridge grapplers on my 19 rebel on the stock wheels, so obviously my mpg is not great. But I'm pretty sure most of us bought these trucks because they are the best looking truck out there right now. I really don't think I've ever seen a better looking truck then the 19 rebels, it got me to switch up from silverados!
But i will add, as ive gotten close to 3k miles ive noticed a slight improvement on the mpgs

768mph

Reaction score
The Rebel is never going to match the EPA numbers, which are a blanket mpg numbers for all RAM trucks. Which I assume was based on 3.21 axle ratio and street oriented tires.

The EPA testing was with a bighorn Quad Cab configuration with 3.21. You’re right, the rebel will never match those numbers. The EPA certifies the vehicle and drivetrain, not different trims of the same model unless different drivetrain/motor (understandably so.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The EPA testing was with a bighorn Quad Cab configuration with 3.21. You’re right, the rebel will never match those numbers. The EPA certifies the vehicle and drivetrain, not different trims of the same model unless different drivetrain/motor (understandably so.)

They do get allowed exceptions based on trims if they wanted to. Chevy did it with the Trail Boss, which is a similar trim to the Rebel, it has a factory 2" lift and comes with 33" tires. They lowered both city and highway mileage by 2 mpg. FCA could have done the same for the Rebel, but chose not to.

Having been a truck owner for a long time, I knew exactly what I was getting into with the Rebel. I laughed out loud when I saw the EPA numbers, especially with those tires and that axle ratio, no way. But there could be people who believe them or aren't too familiar that could be caught off guard with it. Expecting 15-16 city and getting 9-10 is going to sting some folks.

edgarrian

Reaction score
It will get better. Use cruise control as much as possible. Mine does great when I use it. Although I don't have e-torque I have gotten nearly 20mpg (19.8). Reasons for not getting E-torque is I thought it was a bit gimmicky, a whole lot extra for maybe .5mpg better. Plus its gonna be expensive when it needs replaced after warranty is up

PaulPaladin

Reaction score
Just picked up new ‘19 Rebel. 5.7 VVT. Bone stock.

Drove down to ATL and back at 73-77 mph and avg 17.2mpg.

A couple more comments on this....was running 58 front 50 rear in my tires and also 93 octane ethanol free.....wonder if some of you getting worse mileage are running 87 octane with ethanol....

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my truck in July, have 3,400 miles on it now, and mileage has been consistently increasing. I've taken a number of longer highway trips with the last averaging around 18.5 mpg. Truck is bone stock, I drive with ECO mode on, and with a bit of a heavy foot relative to traffic.

If you sit in stop and go traffic for long stretches, or leave your truck idling a lot, you will see poor MPG numbers. Conversely, if you travel a lot of 45-55 mph state highways you'll probably see really good numbers into the 20's. A Rebel is never going to be great on gas mileage, but I don't think it's far off any other gas V-8 trucks either.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
I Just filled my second tank today and I averaged 16.1 mpg (hand calculated). I’d say 60/40 hwy/city driving. I’m happy, I averaged 17.4 mpg (hand calculated) over the 3.5 years I had my 2014 Hemi Express.

Last edited:

b1gj0n44

Reaction score
Seems like the sweet spot for my Rebel is about 70 mph... drove from Dallas to Louisiana and when i was at 70 mph i was just north of 17 mpg... unfortunately the speed limit is 75 mph most of the way...so i was cruising about 80 which dropped me down to about 15 mpg. All about finding the sweet spot in those RPM's

SacRebel

Reaction score
After over 5,000 miles I'm still at around 12.5 mpg lifetime. I do 90% city driving but still far short of the EPA estimates.

Users who are viewing this thread