5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you go about Blacking out a Limited? Purchase a new front grille, wrap it instead, etc??

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind compliment! It is easy to replace the chrome emblems with black ones. You can gain tremendous knowledge on Youtube. Thus far I have personally replaced all the chrome pieces except the front grill and will do the grill shortly after COVID19 subsides. If you need parts, call Josh at Mopar Wholesale Parts. He is good and the prices are excellent. Should you guys need help, don't hesitate to ask. Stay safe!
where did you get a roof spoiler work with pana roof?

OCMan

Reaction score
This spoiler will not work with pana roof! I am sure the manufacturer will make ones for your Ram soon.

OCMan

Reaction score
I don’t know anything about forum either, so don’t feel bad! I haven’t done anything to the grille. I Will leave the center piece with little chrome accents and blackout all chrome pieces around it. Too many Trucks out there with complete blackout out grill - so I want to be a little different! Good luck with your project!

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
^^^. Hello, by chance can you share where you were able to get a set of all black handles from ? :)

mmelsh

Reaction score
This is how I blacked out/chrome deleted my 2020 limited.

Attachments

• 24629C37-BF93-4F33-95A2-0298A85EEA4F.jpeg
    24629C37-BF93-4F33-95A2-0298A85EEA4F.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 338
  • 4594A81A-D34B-49CA-9589-60A0D2A3EEAD.jpeg
    4594A81A-D34B-49CA-9589-60A0D2A3EEAD.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 327
  • BF3C595E-76BE-4B68-BBF7-1A02C731BFB6.jpeg
    BF3C595E-76BE-4B68-BBF7-1A02C731BFB6.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 311
  • F4A6826A-676B-47CC-B725-975C06667920.jpeg
    F4A6826A-676B-47CC-B725-975C06667920.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 318
  • EE25CCA8-1651-4954-B23F-C0228E199099.jpeg
    EE25CCA8-1651-4954-B23F-C0228E199099.jpeg
    187.7 KB · Views: 330

thrillracing

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind compliment! It is easy to replace the chrome emblems with black ones. You can gain tremendous knowledge on Youtube. Thus far I have personally replaced all the chrome pieces except the front grill and will do the grill shortly after COVID19 subsides. If you need parts, call Josh at Mopar Wholesale Parts. He is good and the prices are excellent. Should you guys need help, don't hesitate to ask. Stay safe!

I had real sheepskin in an old Benz I had. People made laughed at them until they sat in them, so so comfy! I like them in the truck! Great looking rig.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Blacked out Hemi badge with the 5.7L in red. Purchased red lettering stickers from reflectiveconcepts.com . Total game changer to me

5DA97434-AB7C-4EEC-A5AF-C3EFF4C85043.jpeg

kodilli

Reaction score
I opted to plasti-dip front grill/ 1500 emblems and body side moulding. Then I vinyl wrapped chrome around windows. I have new smaller black side mirrors on order and should have them by Friday.
just wondering if you still have dip on the emblems? how did they hold up?

porcelliman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am so beyond frustrated and so I thought id try finding my answers here. I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited and of course it has all the chrome trim. I am not mechanically savvy so a lot of the youtube DIY stuff has been too tough for me. I want all of my chrome (grille, side trim, badges, side mirrors and window trim) turned to black w/o dipping. I have searched high and low for a "black" grille online to no avail. I went to the dealership and they said that there is no other grille, as all other models that carry a "black" edition (laramie, rebel, etc) would not fit the limited. I was able to purchase the black side emblems and tailgate emblems and exhaust tips, but that's as far as I have gotten. My truck looks awful with black emblems and all the other chrome trim. Every paint shop I called said they would not paint the chrome b/c it would chip and it would need to be sanded down first. I dont understand why it's so hard to just paint it black. Nonetheless, can someone PLEASE help and send me some specifics on how to get a black grille, black side mirrors, and black window trim? Thanks so much.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am so beyond frustrated and so I thought id try finding my answers here. I bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited and of course it has all the chrome trim. I am not mechanically savvy so a lot of the youtube DIY stuff has been too tough for me. I want all of my chrome (grille, side trim, badges, side mirrors and window trim) turned to black w/o dipping. I have searched high and low for a "black" grille online to no avail. I went to the dealership and they said that there is no other grille, as all other models that carry a "black" edition (laramie, rebel, etc) would not fit the limited. I was able to purchase the black side emblems and tailgate emblems and exhaust tips, but that's as far as I have gotten. My truck looks awful with black emblems and all the other chrome trim. Every paint shop I called said they would not paint the chrome b/c it would chip and it would need to be sanded down first. I dont understand why it's so hard to just paint it black. Nonetheless, can someone PLEASE help and send me some specifics on how to get a black grille, black side mirrors, and black window trim? Thanks so much.
The reason no one wants to paint your grille is that paint doesn’t adhere to chrome that well. It will not last and start coming off fairly quickly. They are correct about that.

As far as mirrors, search eBay. You can get caps to go over them to cover the chrome. Black window trim can be found online as well. It’s not terribly hard to swap. If you don’t have trim tools or don’t want to do it, take it to a body shop that could do the swap for you. Not sure what they would charge. I‘d imagine not more than a couple of hundred dollars.

Cheers,

porcelliman

Reaction score
The reason no one wants to paint your grille is that paint doesn’t adhere to chrome that well. It will not last and start coming off fairly quickly. They are correct about that.

As far as mirrors, search eBay. You can get caps to go over them to cover the chrome. Black window trim can be found online as well. It’s not terribly hard to swap. If you don’t have trim tools or don’t want to do it, take it to a body shop that could do the swap for you. Not sure what they would charge. I‘d imagine not more than a couple of hundred dollars.

Cheers,
Thanks Neurobit. Ive seen the mirror caps online but im afraid how tacky it would look. I also searched for the window trim countless times and I couldnt seem to find it, instead it would just bring up the black visors over the windows vs the actual trim. Regarding the grille, what's your best recommendation then if I can paint it? Wrap it? Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Modstang

Reaction score
Thanks Neurobit. Ive seen the mirror caps online but im afraid how tacky it would look. I also searched for the window trim countless times and I couldnt seem to find it, instead it would just bring up the black visors over the windows vs the actual trim. Regarding the grille, what's your best recommendation then if I can paint it? Wrap it? Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.
The mirror caps replace the chrome piece and is a factory piece. Find the color you want and buy it. First search the forum for the long thread describing how it’s done, or pay a shop. The caps are about $70 plus you’ll need a suction cup for $5 and a hair dryer or heat gun to get the mirror off.
I’d find a black edition Limited VIN and lookup the grill part number and buy it. You’ll pay a lot for it. If they’re even in stock.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

RockJock

Reaction score
20220825_092216.jpg
Here are a bunch of part numbers. I had my dealer put together a list of part numbers for Limited Night Edition parts a while back.

From last 4 80AD to 85AG are crew cab window trim pieces, black. 12 total between left and right side.

Applique grille is the piece between the grille and hood

Radiator grille is the main grille, with surround view camera.

Limited has a separate piece below the headlights too. I don't have a part number for those.

Mirror caps might be universal for Limiteds. I had them get numbers for Limited Level 1, but the surround cameras aren't part of the mirror cap so I'd think they would work with any Limited.

There are a couple misc emblems in the list too. Can't remember what exactly. The badges on the hood, doors, and tailgate are easy to find. I was mainly concerned with getting the window trim and grille numbers since none of the parts websites have a clear description of color it seems.

I plastidiped my grille, window trim, and mirror caps. It's already rock chipped after 2 months. I'm going to order the black trim and be done with it. Otherwise I replaced all the badges with OEM black.

I don't know how to get the door handle inset pieces. I wrapped them with 3M 2080. We'll see how long that lasts.

Last edited:

porcelliman

Reaction score
That grille shows $325.28 for shipping.

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for and i just placed the order. Any idea how i find the pieces above and below the grille that go around the headlights? From what I saw it says it's for the Ram "Sports" model, but im not sure if that means it would fit or not since it doesnt show if it corresponds with the Ram Limited edition. Thanks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread