5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you go about Blacking out a Limited? Purchase a new front grille, wrap it instead, etc??

Jigaloo

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently picked up a black 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. The bumpers are black, and I'm looking to black out the front grille, chrome trim, and emblems. I'm sure others have blacked out the chrome so hoping to get some input.

Any recommended products? I came across super wrap DIY product line (link below). I think I can handle the trim pieces and emblems, but I think the front grille will be difficult.
https://getsuperwrap.com/do-it-yourself/product/gloss-black

Another options would be to purchase a black front grille (and wrap the chrome pieces). I've seen the black front grilles going for around 600 bucks on ebay. Has anyone swapped out their grille? I'm worried that it may be difficult to remove the grille.

I was quoted $400 by a local person here in Austin, TX that would wrap the grille, and chrome pieces. But, I'd have to leave it with him the whole day.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wrapping takes a bit of time. I have my current 2014 done with PPF on the whole front end(bumpers/grille/hood/a pillars/roof) and it took them 2 days so just wrapping grille I can see taking the day. Once its installed it has to dry.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure how long the vinyl will last which is why I swapped my chrome grill and header appliqué for black/color matched.

If you have patience grill replacement is worth it. You can see my thread. The most painful part is removing the plastic fascia below the headlights. They are held in tightly by clips so takes some patient maneuvering and muscle.

Since you have the limited, you will have an issue with the trim piece below the headlights that are unique to Limited. See different grills below. Part #6.

The grills comprise 4 pieces that snap together with some screws as well. The trick though is releasing all the clips since they snap really right and lock in. So you could try to disassemble and use the pieces you need. Having assembled a grill, I can tell you it won’t be easy to disassemble. But I’m sure it can be done with lots of patience.

8A59296A-9BB3-4735-9F51-B0B845602509.jpeg

Last edited:

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a thread on a Longhorn that was painted white. @Kaydee dissembled the grill to paint it.

Last edited:

donsteph

Reaction score
I opted to plasti-dip front grill/ 1500 emblems and body side moulding. Then I vinyl wrapped chrome around windows. I have new smaller black side mirrors on order and should have them by Friday.

Attachments

• 2019 ram.jpg
    2019 ram.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 916

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
Anyone know where to get the upper grille piece (#1) painted to match? I would like a black one. Can't find anything on eBay or the interwebs yet.
I'll leave the rest of the grille the way it is.

I did order some obsidian black plastidip. I am interested to see how metallic plastidip looks.

geotex1

Reaction score
My Larmie has the chrome appearance package, and I think there's just a bit too much chrome on the front end. It looks like the Sport grill and eyebrow would bolt right up. If I can find part numbers and verify fit and the price isn't outrageous, I may buy these pieces and have them paint matched to my granite crystal. I think then the truck will have a good balance of chrome and paint! :cool:

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Larmie has the chrome appearance package, and I think there's just a bit too much chrome on the front end. It looks like the Sport grill and eyebrow would bolt right up. If I can find part numbers and verify fit and the price isn't outrageous, I may buy these pieces and have them paint matched to my granite crystal. I think then the truck will have a good balance of chrome and paint! :cool:

I listed part numbers for my grill swap in my thread in the Exterior section. I opted to go with black textured header appliqué.

CFB7515A-6C31-47E0-BF02-3D1710729E42.jpeg

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What brand and model of those running boards? do you like them?

I have the Mopar off-road running boards. They are solid and very functional. I don't have to worry about anyone slipping when they get in or out.

Spike

Reaction score
Sending my chrome Limited grill parts out to have chrome stripped. Will paint Satin Black. Will post pics when finished..

Dontfront82

Reaction score
On chrome delete I would recommend to paint the chrome 100% if u want it to last and look best. But for short term and coat savings vinyl wrap or plastic dip works

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ve gone the Plastidip route before and it has worked really well. Very cheap and easy to do, and it gives you a chance to see how you like the new look. If not, easily reversible.

Spike

Reaction score
On chrome delete I would recommend to paint the chrome 100% if u want it to last and look best. But for short term and coat savings vinyl wrap or plastic dip works
Will be priming and painting virgin ABS. No chrome, should last forever...lol
Will look like this when stripped, just not Toyota...

Attachments

• stripped grill.jpg
    stripped grill.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently picked up a black 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. The bumpers are black, and I'm looking to black out the front grille, chrome trim, and emblems. I'm sure others have blacked out the chrome so hoping to get some input.

Any recommended products? I came across super wrap DIY product line (link below). I think I can handle the trim pieces and emblems, but I think the front grille will be difficult.
https://getsuperwrap.com/do-it-yourself/product/gloss-black

Another options would be to purchase a black front grille (and wrap the chrome pieces). I've seen the black front grilles going for around 600 bucks on ebay. Has anyone swapped out their grille? I'm worried that it may be difficult to remove the grille.

I was quoted $400 by a local person here in Austin, TX that would wrap the grille, and chrome pieces. But, I'd have to leave it with him the whole day.

If I were you, I’d just swap it with the Laramie one with the headlights. I don’t like the limited headlights and grill. That’s why I went with the Laramie. I like the headlights a good size. Not squinty.

Users who are viewing this thread