5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to TRY and prevent our trucks from being stolen

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have an aftermarket alarm that alerts my phone when my truck is locked/unlocked, starts and cuts off, when the alarm is set off it sets off an alarm alert on my phone, has gps tracking with cell service and all and is hooked up to my train horns.

truckless

Reaction score
I grew up on 600 acres in a town that had one stop sign and a population of 924. People stole **** there, too.

Yep.....grew up on a farm....far away from any big city. People would drive from the city to steal **** in the area knowing that the cops were a long way off and often times folks were working in the fields or gone (easy to scope out a farm).

Sometimes crime just comes looking for you.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I have an aftermarket alarm that alerts my phone when my truck is locked/unlocked, starts and cuts off, when the alarm is set off it sets off an alarm alert on my phone, has gps tracking with cell service and all and is hooked up to my train horns.
care to share the make of the alarm and a web site?

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
care to share the make of the alarm and a web site?
So it’s a viper SmartStart pro security sensor with shock sensor and the ds4 add on. I had it installed by an authorized dealer. It ties into my factory fobs and door sensors so I operate my truck like normal but it sets the factory and aftermarket alarms whenever. I also can unlock/lock and start my truck all from my phone and it’s set to automatically lock my doors after 15 seconds so I can never forget to lock my doors.

wardogz217

Reaction score
WOW, this isn't something I had thought about. What really sux, a person is never around when a piece of crap steals something.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
Starter wire. Lt blue/tan. Bcm above drivers kick.
Black 24 pin plug. Pin 19.

Add a starter kill switch

mophead

Reaction score
Yea, when I was about 17, I came out of a store at the mall and my car was gone. I was freaked out. Someone stole my car. Crap, now what? Where's a payphone so I can call the cops? (Yes kids, there was a time when you did not have a phone in your pocket)

Then I thought, hold on. Who would steal a Pinto?!? Yea, I parked on the other side of the store I came out of...... 😜😜

A few weeks later I was messing around and a friend and I saw another buddy that had a Pinto when we stopped at a 7-11. I was put my key in his door and Shazam! It worked. We hopped in his car waved to him and started driving off. He was stunned looking at his keys in his hand. Then it dawned on him that the keys were the same and he chased me down in my car. That was a good laugh.

You could use your thumbnail to steal my 67 Rambler. Of course no one wanted to steal it. Ah, simpler times.

PS- heads up the delivery drivers are taking pictures when they drop all your stuff off on that 100 acres out in the boonies. It's real.

RLee276

Reaction score
Oh absolutely you stand a better chance of crashing on public streets.
That's also one of the things that makes me scratch my head about people loosing their minds over potential theft. You're far more likely to have someone smash into you while you're driving it and total it out than to have it taken from your driveway.
So if they're going to be completely paranoid about it being stolen, they should be more paranoid about driving it. In which case, why own it at all? It's like the car collectors that buy some unique car only to park it in the garage and never drive it.

That Mustang I mentioned. It was number 149 built that year of something like 300 of them. I drove the crap out of it the first 5-6 years I had it. People lost their minds on the Mustang forums saying it's too unique and I was ruining it by driving it. My response was always, if I'm not going to drive it then what's the point in owning it?
I'd say this fits here too. Tell you're wife that's the whole point in having it. You bought it to drive it, and the track is the safest place to do it.
500-700 cars are stolen each in Denver co and the surrounding areas (Aurora is the worst) and way more cars are broken into than that. I’m taking every measure I can to protect my truck from theft

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't blame you for trying. As I said though, I don't think people should lose their minds about it, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking some measures to deter theft.
Installing security film, a fuel cut off switch or doing something simple/easy makes sense. Going over the top and using lethal force, or doing something that takes 10 minutes to start your truck is over the top in my opinion. Not that any of the suggestions on this thread would take 10 minutes, that's just an example of what I'd consider "losing your mind" to protect from theft.
There's obviously a line between taking preventative measures, and being completely obsessed/paranoid. What that line is, is subjective and dependent upon the area. Clearly in Denver it's less paranoid to install something like a kill switch where it may be construed as over the top in Au Gres Michigan (population under 1,000). You do what's right for you and your area.
Meanwhile, I'll still sit here and marvel at people who go over the top to protect a material thing that can be replaced.

Sportznut

Reaction score
More likely to lose the cats than the whole truck here. The car thieves just have it way too easy with the Hyundais and Kias, and the plethora of them to choose from around here (over 600 stolen since New Years). I got some high temp paint and hit my cats, hoping it would deter them if they target my truck.
I haven't heard of doing that, what does high temp paint do to deter theft?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread