5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to TRY and prevent our trucks from being stolen

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What most people dont realize if your vehicle insurance doesn't cover personal items stolen out of your vehicle. Basically I'd it wasn't bolted on as part of the vehicle it's not covered. But your renters or homeowners insurance will pick up where you vehicle insurance drops off. And if you have the same insurance carrier for both policies, at least on mine, once I paid my vehicle deductible, I didn't have to pay deductible for homeowners on the stolen items.

Have only had one of my vehicles ever broken into. Was a smash and grab in a Walmart parking lot. My wife was using a large designer purse as a diaper bag. She got it on clearance so only paid $50 for the bag, but full retail was like $200. We can only assume they looked in, saw the bag thinking it was a pursez and smashed the rear window(bag was in rear seat) grabbed the bag and left. We had a $200 Magellan GPS unit sitting on front seat they didn't touch. I'm sure they were a little disappointed to open the bag and find diapers, butt creme, and a change of clothes for our daughter.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. You can control where you park it and how it is/isn't secured when doing so. You have no control over the random teenager on their phone smashing into your truck while you're stopped in traffic or if a drunk driver T-bones you while passing through an intersection. This complete lack of control should make you more nervous than parking it where you have some amount of impact on whether something bad happens or not.

You're correct, they're not the same thing. If you're concerned about not losing your truck you should be more concerned about driving it than parking it. That said, I understand the point of the thread is looking for suggestions on how to mitigate as much risk as possible while parked, which is obviously a very different and specific kind of threat.
I tend not to get worked up about things I can't control. I'm not worried about the random teenager, because there's nothing I can do about it. Doing the things I can for security sure as heck isn't a reason to say "just don't drive it if you're that concerned."

"Don't bother driving your truck if you're worried about it getting stolen, because someone might run into it."

"Don't bother washing your truck, because someone might scuff it up in the parking lot."

Just a little silly if you ask me.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I drove jeeps for years. I didn't leave anything in them because cutting the top would have been more than what was stolen.

I did have my old '77 Dodge when I lived in a craphole townhouse. It didn't have a radio so I rigged a Walkman up to some speakers (yes, a Walkman. You young bucks might have to Google that one). I just left it unlocked because I knew the junk I had in it was not worth a window. No, I did not carry full coverage insurance on a $1k surplus pickup with a hand brush camo paint job from the Army.

usedup

Reaction score
No problem here but I can't say why because my last response was deleted.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tend not to get worked up about things I can't control. I'm not worried about the random teenager, because there's nothing I can do about it. Doing the things I can for security sure as heck isn't a reason to say "just don't drive it if you're that concerned."

"Don't bother driving your truck if you're worried about it getting stolen, because someone might run into it."

"Don't bother washing your truck, because someone might scuff it up in the parking lot."

Just a little silly if you ask me.
I absolutely agree it's silly say those things. I was trying to point out the absurdity of people worrying too much about theft by relating it to being afraid to drive. Obviously they're not the same thing, but a person's fear/concern can be over the top.
In my opinion, doing things that require several minutes to get in and go seem a bit over the top. Similar to being afraid to drive because it may be destroyed in a crash. Maybe I'd change my tune if my truck was stolen. Hard to tell until you've been there.
I like the idea of a quick easy switch that cuts power, or fuel. Much beyond that is more effort than I would take, but that's just me. My truck is insured, and it's not some limited edition, one of a kind thing. Just a Ram like the million others Dodge has made over the last 3 or 4 years. Sure maybe my options aren't identical to all of them but I'm not dead set on having an identical truck if this one is stolen. Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed and it would be inconvenient, but it is replaceable.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
In 40 years of vehicle ownership, I've had theives break into 2 trucks and had one stolen. It was inconvenient but I would never consider any theft deterrents other than locking the doors and parking in a well lit area if it's not in my garage. I'm not going to let a thief make my life inconvenient, just to prevent the slight chance that it might get stolen.

I learned a lot after my first break in. I didn't have sufficient insurance and they didn't cover any of the aftermarket parts. My deductible was really high, so I ended up paying out of pocket for everything stolen, plus fixing the damage. When my truck was stolen, there was a short waiting period to see if it would get recovered. After the wait period expired, my insurance cut me a check for the value of the truck.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I absolutely agree it's silly say those things.
Yep.
My truck is insured, and it's not some limited edition, one of a kind thing. Just a Ram like the million others Dodge has made over the last 3 or 4 years.
This doesn't really mean a whole lot. I don't care if it was a basic white Civic. It's mine. I paid for it.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They didn’t take the truck, only what was inside…
I did all the usual leave nothing in sight, park in a somewhat high traffic area, etc etc but still did not prevent this. 2 other trucks parked nearby suffered the same fate….

At home I have 3 cameras pointed at the driveway, faraday box for the fobs and 2 large dogs. Have had the occasional night door tuggers come around. AirTag in both vehicles (and fobs)
77a99b60904916a57642f042d915c282.jpg

Code2medic

Reaction score
Around here cars are being stoles left and right, day or night and cameras have being useless. My dad uses one of those steering wheel to pedal locks and i went ahead and upgraded his insurance to full cover. At home vehicles stay indoor, we still do have cameras, german sheppard and looking to purchase a fire arm, but at work the parking lot has been hit a couple of times even with a parking attendant, but he still has to go an eat.
Sorry that happend to you.
I purchased that karr ins that pays off up to 20k if the car is stolen and not recover at $799 i felt i was worth it since i don't know how good or bad my car insurance pay off would be. Never experience car theft but i have heard good and bad stories about the pay offs.
Interested as to what others might be using as well
LOL why does everyone with a German Shepard <proper spelling> always throw that out there as if it really means anything. I mean seriously 99 percent of dogs are barkers that's it a GS unless trained in bite work or cornered is going to run and the dog means nothing inside when its happening outside. sorry I'm not sending mine out in harms way over a truck and believe me my GS and mine are in fact SCH3 trained and are more important to me then the money pit living in the house with me.

now for the one that bugs me the most is the statement is looking to buy a firearm and that's because of my 20 years as a medic in Chicago and having to deal with the victims and ones who deserve those shots. its a car I get it but lets be honest my FIREARMS are for protecting me and family from those that deserve it NOT BECAUSE they tried to steal property especially my truck. Take it crash it but in the end I don't want to have to deal with the police questioning if shooting someone over a truck was legal or not and really don't want the freak what if moment where a innocent is hit. its insured let the police and insurance company handle it... you get a rental on them and they take care of the pay off.

cheaper to replace the truck then it is to pay for endless legal fees and everything else that comes with the stupidity of society.

Come in my house unwelcome and well it will be dealt with properly. try and steal my truck bikes or cars ehhh as long as your not in my house take it it can be replaced it will sting and suck but ill continue living my life vs possibly throwing it away

Here a cheaper solution since you don't even need the key fond to steal them anymore and a 20 scanner from amazon that makes your phone the key throw a apple tracker in the glove box nothing to disconnect and it will track for you for what 50 bucks and ping off every iPhone around it. Hell you may get lucky and the dumbs who stolen gets the alert a chip is tracking him chances are he will dump it with out crashing it.

Code2medic

Reaction score
They are probably plugging right into the SGW so a dummy OBD port wouldn't work. I posted a video of a guy in New Orleans rigged a flash bang that went off when someone tried doing a smash n grab.
Ravelco is good but you lose the ability for remote start as you need to have the "key" plugged in.
Faraday bag is a great option, all my keys go in a faraday box I got off Amazon as soon as I get home.
I am thinking about an aftermarket alarm like the Compustar Drone or Viper Smartstart. Just make sure everything is hidden well so it can't be ripped out easy.
yup and he has been charged by the ATF for the explosive device

Code2medic

Reaction score
Get out of the cities if you can......get yourself some acreage.......don't have neighbors......enjoy life.......don't worry about your truck.
best advice right here.

moved out of Chicago bought 130 acres no neighbors my doors are open day and night and every vehicle I owe has the doors unlocked with the key in the cup holder lol no issues what so ever.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
You know, the most absurd thing to say is "just move, it's easy to pack up, leave everything behind and start a new life". I mean really. Why isn't the advice " Well, just buy a private island in the middle of the pacific and no one will have the means to steal your truck"? Not everyone is independently wealthy. Not everyone can be young and live off the land. Reality has to strike at some point. I don't live in the city but I work there. Why? Because I haven't hit the lottery yet.

Retirement is still a few years off but I am preparing and looking at areas that may suit us. Yea, 100 acres in the middle of nowhere sounds great. Until you are old and can't drive that far, then it is a blessing to have a Walmart 15 minutes away, or a hospital close so your loved one can get care and you can see then while tending to the house and pets if need be.

Agreed, shooting someone will end up getting you in lots of trouble. (Unless you toss him a throw away ahead of time 🤫). But chances are you don't see them stealing your truck to be shooting to begin with so it's a moot point.

Yea, my dog? He'll no. I'm going out before he is. I would not put him in harms way.

Kill switch, insurance, tracker, motion sensor light at home, all valid suggestions. Never understood leaving a light on full time so a thief can see what he is doing while you are staring at the TV or asleep in the lazy boy ready to spill a beer in your lap. I rather have a light pop on to alert me something was up.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They didn’t take the truck, only what was inside…
I did all the usual leave nothing in sight, park in a somewhat high traffic area, etc etc but still did not prevent this. 2 other trucks parked nearby suffered the same fate….

At home I have 3 cameras pointed at the driveway, faraday box for the fobs and 2 large dogs. Have had the occasional night door tuggers come around. AirTag in both vehicles (and fobs)
77a99b60904916a57642f042d915c282.jpg
this used to happen in my old neighborhood every other year, 3-4 cars would be hit, radios or even batteries would be taken.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
LOL why does everyone with a German Shepard <proper spelling> always throw that out there as if it really means anything. I mean seriously 99 percent of dogs are barkers that's it a GS unless trained in bite work or cornered is going to run and the dog means nothing inside when its happening outside. sorry I'm not sending mine out in harms way over a truck and believe me my GS and mine are in fact SCH3 trained and are more important to me then the money pit living in the house with me.

now for the one that bugs me the most is the statement is looking to buy a firearm and that's because of my 20 years as a medic in Chicago and having to deal with the victims and ones who deserve those shots. its a car I get it but lets be honest my FIREARMS are for protecting me and family from those that deserve it NOT BECAUSE they tried to steal property especially my truck. Take it crash it but in the end I don't want to have to deal with the police questioning if shooting someone over a truck was legal or not and really don't want the freak what if moment where a innocent is hit. its insured let the police and insurance company handle it... you get a rental on them and they take care of the pay off.

cheaper to replace the truck then it is to pay for endless legal fees and everything else that comes with the stupidity of society.

Come in my house unwelcome and well it will be dealt with properly. try and steal my truck bikes or cars ehhh as long as your not in my house take it it can be replaced it will sting and suck but ill continue living my life vs possibly throwing it away

Here a cheaper solution since you don't even need the key fond to steal them anymore and a 20 scanner from amazon that makes your phone the key throw a apple tracker in the glove box nothing to disconnect and it will track for you for what 50 bucks and ping off every iPhone around it. Hell you may get lucky and the dumbs who stolen gets the alert a chip is tracking him chances are he will dump it with out crashing it.
You might want to proof read your own post, before correcting someone else's spelling error. 😂

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score

A simple thumbs up didn't suffice, so I just wanted to say this is gold. Spot on.

This doesn't really mean a whole lot. I don't care if it was a basic white Civic. It's mine. I paid for it.
I agree with that too. I don't want them to take what is mine either.
I'm just saying that what I have isn't irreplaceable. That doesn't mean I want to replace my truck, nor does anyone else. I'm simply saying that we can if we have to.

Code2medic

Reaction score
You might want to proof read your own post, before correcting someone else's spelling error. 😂
Well professor I wasn't aware I was competing for a grade. I didn't correct anyone's post, I just used the proper spelling of the name. Good to know you're that one who adds in what was never stated.... Tho judging by the screen name it says all one need to know

Code2medic

Reaction score
You know, the most absurd thing to say is "just move, it's easy to pack up, leave everything behind and start a new life". I mean really. Why isn't the advice " Well, just buy a private island in the middle of the pacific and no one will have the means to steal your truck"? Not everyone is independently wealthy. Not everyone can be young and live off the land. Reality has to strike at some point. I don't live in the city but I work there. Why? Because I haven't hit the lottery yet.

Retirement is still a few years off but I am preparing and looking at areas that may suit us. Yea, 100 acres in the middle of nowhere sounds great. Until you are old and can't drive that far, then it is a blessing to have a Walmart 15 minutes away, or a hospital close so your loved one can get care and you can see then while tending to the house and pets if need be.

Agreed, shooting someone will end up getting you in lots of trouble. (Unless you toss him a throw away ahead of time 🤫). But chances are you don't see them stealing your truck to be shooting to begin with so it's a moot point.

Yea, my dog? He'll no. I'm going out before he is. I would not put him in harms way.

Kill switch, insurance, tracker, motion sensor light at home, all valid suggestions. Never understood leaving a light on full time so a thief can see what he is doing while you are staring at the TV or asleep in the lazy boy ready to spill a beer in your lap. I rather have a light pop on to alert me something was up.
Just moving is actually that simple..... you're not leaving anything and starting over you're just relocating that life for a better one. retirement bah I got out before having that option, it was the best thing ever done. jobs can be had in every state city town or area. your list of excuses drives and Walmart etc ummm this country has evolved you do know that, youre using excuse of those who live in the urban areas which are not relevant honestly as none of it really is a issue you plan according.... you'd be surprise how much more enjoyable life is going once a week if that to the store and grab what you need then, when I'm old and can't drive LOL ok I guess planning ahead for that with say those nifty things called cabs, uber, Lyft etc must be a new concept. you'll find in these country areas people actually take care of one another they actually stop to help unlike the I don't have time urban areas.

again I left the third largest city in the country I'm well aware of the comfort and laziness it affords. I'm also aware of you can buy lots of land outside town cities and suburbs and still be a 15 minute drive from a local town. hell dollar stores are on every other corner, Walmarts are on every other corner... beyond the food I can order it and have it brought to me again in that time I get to continue to enough life.

one day people eventually get past the I can't do what I want because of a list of excuses and does it then they will realize how much more peaceful and happier life becomes

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score

wow what a nice educated fella, did correcting my spelling made your day
since you did provide personal details as to why my comment about my dog and the gun bother you, I will reply and remind you that I used my dog, truck, home and gun in the same sentenced - please re-read my post
To the right of my home is an alleyway and the entrance into my carport, behind me a corridor from an apartment building and the same to my left. The back door into the home is right next to the entrance of the carport and I installed a big *** doggy door or whatever these are called, enough to fit an adult, like me jaja had to used once I forgot my keys at work.
When I purchased my home I did scout the area at day and night and it seem a pretty good area and for the most part it is but there are always a few weeks out of the year where it looks very ghetto and high crime. So when somebody comes into my carport they are in my dogs territory and practically inside my home.
German Shepherd - my dad loves this guy like a son, and we would never send him on the streets to protect anything, he has made a huge difference at home, already has proven he is a chaser/protector not a runner/*****. Granted if somebody comes in with a firearm he would be kill and if we were are home we would as well since we always come out as well and that is why I said looking into purchasing a gun. Didn't you say its for protecting the home and family.
Do I dream about moving to a better place, sure, Can I afford it? no not for now.
And since it is just me, my dad my dog I feel we can handle the area.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Just moving is actually that simple..... you're not leaving anything and starting over you're just relocating that life for a better one. retirement bah I got out before having that option, it was the best thing ever done. jobs can be had in every state city town or area. your list of excuses drives and Walmart etc ummm this country has evolved you do know that, youre using excuse of those who live in the urban areas which are not relevant honestly as none of it really is a issue you plan according.... you'd be surprise how much more enjoyable life is going once a week if that to the store and grab what you need then, when I'm old and can't drive LOL ok I guess planning ahead for that with say those nifty things called cabs, uber, Lyft etc must be a new concept. you'll find in these country areas people actually take care of one another they actually stop to help unlike the I don't have time urban areas.

again I left the third largest city in the country I'm well aware of the comfort and laziness it affords. I'm also aware of you can buy lots of land outside town cities and suburbs and still be a 15 minute drive from a local town. hell dollar stores are on every other corner, Walmarts are on every other corner... beyond the food I can order it and have it brought to me again in that time I get to continue to enough life.

one day people eventually get past the I can't do what I want because of a list of excuses and does it then they will realize how much more peaceful and happier life becomes
Right on Brother! Stick it to the man! Just don't deal with his imperialist ways dude. We got all we need. Right here, good people good vibes, good love. This is it man. Stay in the commune dude. We care for each other. Peace and love is our righteous medicine.

hippie-circle.jpg

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

My dogs are there to alert, not respond or defend anything. Some breeds are better at that than others.

If you want to just let someone have your truck, go for it. No sweat. But if someone comes on to my property looking for trouble, they're likely going to find it, whatever that ends up meaning. I'm not going to interview them to figure out whether they're just looking to take my stuff and then leave.

And this nonsense about legal fees...just lol at that. I'm never more happy to not live in places like Chicago where I have to be afraid to defend myself.

Users who are viewing this thread