5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to TRY and prevent our trucks from being stolen

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with that too. I don't want them to take what is mine either.
I'm just saying that what I have isn't irreplaceable. That doesn't mean I want to replace my truck, nor does anyone else. I'm simply saying that we can if we have to.
Well...yeah I could replace it with something else, but nothing wrong with doing what you can to avoid having to do that.

BigD

Reaction score
Holy crap, where do u people live ? 8 mile road in Detroit?? 🤣 I live in a suburb of Minneapolis approximately 15 minutes from downtown. I've had 1 pedal bike stolen in my life ! Most my neighbors park outside. I've read about 1 catalytic converter being stolen 2 blocks away in our local paper under the crime section. I park in my garage, but like I said most leave their vehicles in their driveways all night without any problems. My next door neighbor had his wallet taken out of his van he left unlocked 10 years ago. That's the extinct of the crime in my neighborhood. Geez, maybe consider moving! 🤔

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Holy crap, where do u people live ? 8 mile road in Detroit?? 🤣 I live in a suburb of Minneapolis approximately 15 minutes from downtown. I've had 1 pedal bike stolen in my life ! Most my neighbors park outside. I've read about 1 catalytic converter being stolen 2 blocks away in our local paper under the crime section. I park in my garage, but like I said most leave their vehicles in their driveways all night without any problems. My next door neighbor had his wallet taken out of his van he left unlocked 10 years ago. That's the extinct of the crime in my neighborhood. Geez, maybe consider moving! 🤔
I grew up on 600 acres in a town that had one stop sign and a population of 924. People stole **** there, too.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A simple thumbs up didn't suffice, so I just wanted to say this is gold. Spot on.

I agree with that too. I don't want them to take what is mine either.
I'm just saying that what I have isn't irreplaceable. That doesn't mean I want to replace my truck, nor does anyone else. I'm simply saying that we can if we have to.
When it comes to opinion hardly anything is gold and spot on. What is a great comment for somebody is dumb as hell for others

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well...yeah I could replace it with something else, but nothing wrong with doing what you can to avoid having to do that.
Agreed. Do what you can to avoid having to replace it. Some will do more than others, as evident by this thread.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When it comes to opinion hardly anything is gold and spot on. What is a great comment for somebody is dumb as hell for others
True. I'd say "spot on", but apparently that's not fitting. So I'll say, yes you make a valid point.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL why does everyone with a German Shepard <proper spelling> always throw that out there as if it really means anything. I mean seriously 99 percent of dogs are barkers that's it a GS unless trained in bite work or cornered is going to run and the dog means nothing inside when its happening outside. sorry I'm not sending mine out in harms way over a truck and believe me my GS and mine are in fact SCH3 trained and are more important to me then the money pit living in the house with me.
Honestly I'd pick a standard Dachshund over pretty much any dog for guard duty. They are lightning fast, good barkers, and Standards have one of the strongest bites second only to a Kangal. My 50lb "giant" standard can bite rawhides as big as my arm in half with one chomp, its nuts. He can eat a cow femur, the same ones I used to give to Jaguars when I worked at the zoo. I have a 65lb bearded collie and other dogs and I've never seen another dog have the skull and jaw density and tooth size that's even close to comparable to a Dachshund. GSD and Malinois and Tervuren are meh. I've seen a Dachsund latch onto a Moose and wild boar completely fearless. Schutzhund training is easy, its all pretty natural to them.

70runner

Reaction score
Had my car stolen at college a few eons ago. Couldn't afford gas, never more than a gallon in it. Found it next day, 5mi away, out of gas. Probably not practical for family vehicle :)

Previous residence was in suburbia, nice little town but surrounded by not so nice bigger towns. Crews from the NSNBTs would venture into suburbia to collect vehicles/parts on their wish lists. Some were caught, most weren't. If it was parts, they would leave the now damaged vehicle. DAMHIK. So we moved. NSNBT varmints weren't the only reason, but definitely a factor. Moved to 5 acres, rural for SOCAL, at the end of private, no outlet road. Rebel is parked in garage next to my 70 Roadrunner (not replaceable). Garage inside door opens to attached guest house where my daughter lives with her fiance, recently retired USMC gunny sgt. He keeps the garage inside door open at night to facilitate varmint control. Alert system is large male Boxer who is not fond of visitors.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, when I was about 17, I came out of a store at the mall and my car was gone. I was freaked out. Someone stole my car. Crap, now what? Where's a payphone so I can call the cops? (Yes kids, there was a time when you did not have a phone in your pocket)

Then I thought, hold on. Who would steal a Pinto?!? Yea, I parked on the other side of the store I came out of...... 😜😜

A few weeks later I was messing around and a friend and I saw another buddy that had a Pinto when we stopped at a 7-11. I was put my key in his door and Shazam! It worked. We hopped in his car waved to him and started driving off. He was stunned looking at his keys in his hand. Then it dawned on him that the keys were the same and he chased me down in my car. That was a good laugh.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yea, when I was about 17, I came out of a store at the mall and my car was gone. I was freaked out. Someone stole my car. Crap, now what? Where's a payphone so I can call the cops? (Yes kids, there was a time when you did not have a phone in your pocket)

Then I thought, hold on. Who would steal a Pinto?!? Yea, I parked on the other side of the store I came out of...... 😜😜

A few weeks later I was messing around and a friend and I saw another buddy that had a Pinto when we stopped at a 7-11. I was put my key in his door and Shazam! It worked. We hopped in his car waved to him and started driving off. He was stunned looking at his keys in his hand. Then it dawned on him that the keys were the same and he chased me down in my car. That was a good laugh.
We used to do that with mid 70's Datsun pickups. 🤣

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly I'd pick a standard Dachshund over pretty much any dog for guard duty. They are lightning fast, good barkers, and Standards have one of the strongest bites second only to a Kangal. My 50lb "giant" standard can bite rawhides as big as my arm in half with one chomp, its nuts. He can eat a cow femur, the same ones I used to give to Jaguars when I worked at the zoo. I have a 65lb bearded collie and other dogs and I've never seen another dog have the skull and jaw density and tooth size that's even close to comparable to a Dachshund. GSD and Malinois and Tervuren are meh. I've seen a Dachsund latch onto a Moose and wild boar completely fearless. Schutzhund training is easy, its all pretty natural to them.
I don't think the bite force is the main reason why most guard dogs are picked. I'm just guessing here, but I suspect it has more to do with the psychological impact of seeing/hear the dog. The larger, more common breeds used for guard duties tend to be "scary" or intimidating looking with a deep powerful bark.
I'm not saying your logic is flawed or that the Dachshund is a bad choice. Just that I think people are looking for a visual impact/deterrent, not just how hard it can bite.

And yes, any dog can be trained Schutzhund. Or should I say any human can be trained to take advantage of the dog's natural instinct to protect their pack and/or attack prey. Most times, you're training the handler just as much as the dog.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
.... Where's a payphone so I can call the cops? (Yes kids, there was a time when you did not have a phone in your pocket)......
Ah the good ol days.
I think the perfect time for cell phones was around the mid to late 90's. They were affordable enough (unlike the 80's) that you could get one if you wanted it, although not exactly cheap to use. It was pretty much just a phone. If you had one (and not everyone did) but you didn't have it on you people didn't freak out. The convenience/technology was there but it wasn't invasive yet. Now the stupid things are everywhere and people act lost without them.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Nowhere is truly safe. Not to mention, it's not always going to happen at home, it can often happen when you're in a parking lot of parking garage. Thinking you live in a "Safe" neighborhood is nothing more than false security.

Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. A good amount of break-ins in my area are not *smash* and grab, rather, it's just people casually going around at 1am and trying door handles. Betcha 1 in 20 are unlocked. Another thing they may be doing is actually checking in windows or profiling vehicles. My next door neighbor had 2 guns stolen out of his truck, I'm not sure if the criminal knew they were there or if he was just checking handles and got lucky. In either case, when the police came by asking for footage (I have cameras around my home), I turned up NOTHING. The criminals didn't enter my yard or even check my truck despite them being only a few feet away. Chances are they avoided my stuff because they saw the cameras.

Deterrents are your friend. They're not 100% effective, but they're more effective than nothing:
-Park in a garage, behind a fence, or somewhere that restricts casual access.
-Always lock the doors and close the windows
-Never keep a single item visible.
-Secure more valuable items in a trunk or locked bed, or hide them where criminals might not check.
-Bright lit areas, particularly with motion sensors.
-Cameras, Alarms, Trip wires
-Loud Sirens, Flashing Lights, Oh yes, and plenty of special effects, if you know your way around an Arduino and some mechanical know-how to make some fun noise-making or visually startling gags around your home.

If you're wondering why I love special effects, I used to design and build special effects for a company about an hour from Disney. Flame, fog, water, and motion effects were our specialty. I was part of the small team that designed, built, and delivered 2 'Magma' flame effects you see at 2:02:

Not that I'm suggesting you build a 150ft fireball in your back yard, but maybe something that makes noise or a spring-loaded fence that plops down to reveal some mannequins could be fun.

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right on Brother! Stick it to the man! Just don't deal with his imperialist ways dude. We got all we need. Right here, good people good vibes, good love. This is it man. Stay in the commune dude. We care for each other. Peace and love is our righteous medicine.

View attachment 127548
Stuck in the 60's/70's ?
Like, duuude.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Stuck in the 60's/70's ?
Like, duuude.
I guess you didn't read the post that that was a reply to? Sarcasm. 😝 Guy was talking about how simple it is to just ditch your career (assuming the career is not working the night shift at 7-11) and move out to hundreds of acres in the middle of nowhere. You know, life in the commune baby! 🧔‍♀️

Just messing around. 👍

usedup

Reaction score
best advice right here.

moved out of Chicago bought 130 acres no neighbors my doors are open day and night and every vehicle I owe has the doors unlocked with the key in the cup holder lol no issues what so ever.
Everybody works and has the same color faces...there, I said it.

cleandirt

Reaction score
Had my car stolen at college a few eons ago. Couldn't afford gas, never more than a gallon in it. Found it next day, 5mi away, out of gas. Probably not practical for family vehicle

I had a similar thing happen with a motorcycle a few years ago. It had an electrical issue I hadn’t gotten around to fixing which would slowly cause the battery to drain. The battery was fully charged when the bike was stolen, the police recovered it a couple of months later when they stopped the thief while he was pushing the dead bike down the service road of a local highway. I got the bike back, the guy had scribbled a racing stripe down the length of it with a sharpie, other than that it wasn’t much worse for wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread