5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remove back wall carpet (road noise coming from rear cab)?

MilehighRam

Reaction score
I have the issue with a missing horizontal rubber gasket that goes between the cab and bed (ordered). In addition to installing that later this week, I wanted to go a step further and install 1lb per sf MLV along the back wall. Is there an easy way of removing the carpet that's back there so I can put the MLV on the wall without pulling the seats (or breaking anything)? Will post results when done.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Update - found another thread on how to remove the back carpet on this forum. I was able to put probably 10 sf of MLV back there and took it for a test drive. The results are it had nearly no impact on sound attenuation. The sound is either flanking around the MLV or is coming from somewhere else (rear doors perhaps).

Plan is to install the horizontal rubber gasket when it comes in tomorrow. if that still doesnt solve it, ill have my wife drive while I sit in the back and isolate the source.

aametzger

Reaction score
I have the issue with a missing horizontal rubber gasket that goes between the cab and bed (ordered). In addition to installing that later this week, I wanted to go a step further and install 1lb per sf MLV along the back wall. Is there an easy way of removing the carpet that's back there so I can put the MLV on the wall without pulling the seats (or breaking anything)? Will post results when done.

I believe I am missing that same rubber strip between the cab and the bed. While I was waiting for some exhaust work, I was looking at the TSB's on my phone and came across the one about the wind noise. I had the guy at the muffler shop look while he was under the truck and he said he didn't see it on there. I plan to make an appt with the dealer soon to get it addressed. I would love to hear your opinion on how much the noise is reduced once the rubber seal is installed. I also read on here that someone moved the door striker plate on the rear doors to get them to shut tighter and that was effective at reducing the road noise.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Well, I'm an idiot. I ordered the rubber gasket and went to install it. Turns out one was already there. I'll need to bring the truck by the dealer and have them look at why so much road noise is coming from the back. When I turn off the AC outside vent, it does get quieter. I'm positive it has something to do with the rear cab vents.

JRadford43

Reaction score
Interested to see if you find any solution. I thought I was missing that gasket as well back there which I wasnt. I've set in the back seats and it sounds like it's coming either through the rear door or rear window. Almost sounds like its right at head rest level when sitting back there from the corner of truck. I'm going to try and adjust the sticker plates this weekend since my rear door isnt aligned right and sounds weird when it closes

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, I'm an idiot. I ordered the rubber gasket and went to install it. Turns out one was already there. I'll need to bring the truck by the dealer and have them look at why so much road noise is coming from the back. When I turn off the AC outside vent, it does get quieter. I'm positive it has something to do with the rear cab vents.

Hi MilehighRam,
Keep us updated on your dealer visit. If additional assistance is needed, please reach out to us privately!
Laura
Ram Cares

aametzger

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pic of what the cab rubber stop looks like installed? I don’t think I have one but want to make sure I know exactly where it’s located so I can look under my truck and validate.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damion

Reaction score
Look at the front bottom edge of the box, if you have one, there will be a rubber strip running from the bed to the back wall of the cab.

Mine came with it from factory but I still have the open door noise from the right rear. ( sounds like a door that isn't fully latched closed )

Im wondering if some of the noise isn't coming from the vents at the bottom of the rear doors that can be seen on the body when they are open? Just a thought

aametzger

Reaction score
Look at the front bottom edge of the box, if you have one, there will be a rubber strip running from the bed to the back wall of the cab.

Mine came with it from factory but I still have the open door noise from the right rear. ( sounds like a door that isn't fully latched closed )

Im wondering if some of the noise isn't coming from the vents at the bottom of the rear doors that can be seen on the body when they are open? Just a thought

Thanks. Yea I don’t have one then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that believe the rear cab vents might be a source, I think you're onto something. If you believe the noise is coming in to the interior at head level in the rear, note that behind the C-pillar interior trim cover (where the upper seat belt attaches to the inside of the cab) is a large enough opening that will allow air movement downwards and to the rear of the cab. There is also an opening in the rear cab cover (behind the rear seat) to allow air movement to the rear cab vents.

As an aside, I found there is reduced noise level in the interior when the rear center armrest is in the up (closed) position.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024248 miles.

JRadford43

Reaction score
I also believe it has to do with vents and not just the rear ones. For one I agree it could be the rear vents as for some reason it's much louder with the seats folded up. Most likely when they are down the bottom portion of the seats muffles that sound. But when up the noise is easily able to come into the cab and makes it audibly noticable.

I'd like to add on though. When I set in my back seats and had someone else drive the wind noise was extremely noticable at ear level. Like it was literally right next to my head coming through that back pillar.

I placed tape on both of the door vents at the base of the doors to see how that worked out. I completely covered both rear door vents with tape, leaving the front doors open until I closed the rear ones. I drove down the road hitting roughly 50mph and then went back and took the same route with the tape off. Noticable difference in noise. I mean to me, it was way quieter with the tape covering those rear door vents.

I believe that the wind noise is not only coming from those rear vents but also up through those rear door vents. It was much louder with the tape off.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the 2019 Ram DT Service manual:
23 - Body / Interior / PANEL, Cab Back Trim / Removal and Installation
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
REMOVAL

1. Remove the lower C-pillar trim panels (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/PANEL, C-Pillar Trim/Removal and Installation) .
  2. Remove the center seat belt retractor lower anchor fastener (Refer to 10 - Restraints/RETRACTOR, Seat Belt/Removal and Installation) .

3. Remove the three push-pin fasteners (1) and the center retaining strap that secure the rear cab trim panel to the rear cab back panel and remove the trim panel.
INSTALLATION
(Reverse procedure)

Based on the service manual procedure it appears the trim panel can be removed without removing the rear seats. Looking at mine I'm guessing you would pull the trim panel downwards from underneath the rear seats once the necessary hardware is removed.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 024248 miles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice! I must applaud your persistence. What is the black material that you used? Did you get any whistles with the windows full up and the ventilation low or off?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at 026413 miles.

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
Nice! I must applaud your persistence. What is the black material that you used? Did you get any whistles with the windows full up and the ventilation low or off?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at 026413 miles.

No man it does no mess up ventilation at all, it just reduces the outside noises. Noico Black 80 Mil 36 Sq Ft from Amazon.

Noico Black 80 Mil 36 Sq Ft.jpg

MQQSE

Reaction score
Everyone looking for that noise that comes from the rear of the cab when you hit small choppy bumps I can tell you where it's coming from. If you are in the back seat facing the rear window passenger side, look up by where the speaker is in the headliner towards the very end of the headliner. Where the headliner stops, there is not a good solid attachment of the headliner on that side of the cab (the other side is more solid). You can take your fingers and barely pull and let go and you will hear the same noise as when you are driving over the little choppy bumps. I put a piece of foam between the headliner and the roof as a gasket of sorts, and it also puts tension on the headliner so it does not hit the roof any longer and there is no more noise. I will try to post a photo so everyone can see exactly where I'm talking about.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone looking for that noise that comes from the rear of the cab when you hit small choppy bumps I can tell you where it's coming from. If you are in the back seat facing the rear window passenger side, look up by where the speaker is in the headliner towards the very end of the headliner. Where the headliner stops, there is not a good solid attachment of the headliner on that side of the cab (the other side is more solid). You can take your fingers and barely pull and let go and you will hear the same noise as when you are driving over the little choppy bumps. I put a piece of foam between the headliner and the roof as a gasket of sorts, and it also puts tension on the headliner so it does not hit the roof any longer and there is no more noise. I will try to post a photo so everyone can see exactly where I'm talking about.
I believe there was a service bulletin on that issue.

Regards,
Dusty

eyeguy

Reaction score
TTT for how much reduction of wind noise. Head wind not to bad but if side or quartering into wind more noise out of back seat on my laramie.

Maconi

Reaction score
I believe there was a service bulletin on that issue.

Regards,
Dusty

Is there a public list of service bulletins somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread