5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to delete the active air dam?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
“Additional benefit” is synonymous with side effect. There are good side effects and bad side effects. Obviously, this would be a good side effect. But not its main purpose. That was stated in the first paragraph highlighted.

On a side note, shouldn’t a moderator help enhance forum users experience positively instead of driving users away from using this forum? It’s a rhetorical question. No need answer.
The fact that is says it keeps the shutters closed longer to aid in engine warm up makes it a feature, not a side effect. I'm not arguing the primary function is aerodynamics.

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
The fact that is says it keeps the shutters closed longer to aid in engine warm up makes it a feature, not a side effect. I'm not arguing the primary function is aerodynamics.
Since we are off topic anyways how is your UCA doing with the 5100"s. ( factory still correct?)

Reaction score
Hi Mike ! Just unplugged mine and the code is there. Should I try to erase the code? It the problem might be the AGS ?
Thanks.
I doubt there are any videos out there for such a simple job. Just unbolt it, then unplug the connector and tape it up out of the way. I've removed 3 of them and haven't seen any codes thrown.
Mike m

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hi Mike ! Just unplugged mine and the code is there. Should I try to erase the code? It the problem might be the AGS ?
Thanks.

Mike m
Hi yourself Mike. :cool: Are you saying you read a stored code or are you saying you have a CEL? From what people have posted over the years, removing the AAD will throw a code. But it shouldn't throw a CEL. I've never put a code reader on any or our trucks so I wasn't aware that there may be a code stored because of the AAD removal. Try clearing and see if your CEL comes on.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Mike m
You’ll have to clear the cel after unplugging. There will still be a code stored in the computer, but the cel won’t come back.

Reaction score
Hi yourself Mike. :cool: Are you saying you read a stored code or are you saying you have a CEL? From what people have posted over the years, removing the AAD will throw a code. But it shouldn't throw a CEL. I've never put a code reader on any or our trucks so I wasn't aware that there may be a code stored because of the AAD removal. Try clearing and see if your CEL comes on.
It was stored, and deleted it. 🤞🏻 it won’t come back !

Paulie T

Reaction score
Removed my air dam and active air dam today and man it looks so much better. Wish I would have done it sooner.

I wanted to remove the shutters also but was limited on time. Started to get it apart but the stupid flares were giving me a hard time and didn’t want to rush then end up breaking something. So maybe next weekend

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Oh !! Sneaky code ! I’ll keep an eye out ! Thx
It’s no big deal. The soft code doesn’t hurt anything. It’ll stay there indefinitely unless you remove the feature from the truck using alpha or jscan

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s no big deal. The soft code doesn’t hurt anything. It’ll stay there indefinitely unless you remove the feature from the truck using alpha or jscan
I used alfaObd to turn off the AAD, and still have the soft code

jmr

Reaction score
I used alfaObd to turn off the AAD, and still have the soft code
Me too I deleted AAD in alfaOdb and still got a code sent to the RAM app. I unbolted the air dam portion of the AAD bar and put it back on and no code is being sent to the RAM app.
I tried to separate the bar from the AAD motor by drilling out the indentation on the AAD bar but it would not separate. For now I'm running the AAD without the air dam part.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
hmmm. Would have thought removing it from the computer would also clear the soft code. It must be provisioned in a place we can’t get to

rs2433

Reaction score
Me too I deleted AAD in alfaOdb and still got a code sent to the RAM app. I unbolted the air dam portion of the AAD bar and put it back on and no code is being sent to the RAM app.
I tried to separate the bar from the AAD motor by drilling out the indentation on the AAD bar but it would not separate. For now I'm running the AAD without the air dam part.
I took a hacksaw to mine to get rid of the cross bar. I also tried removing the bolt that held the arms together for the actuator and that threw a code too. I have just the actuator there connected and no codes for 3,000 ish miles

jmr

Reaction score
I drilled 3 - 3/16" holes in the AAD shaft and separated it from the AAD motor. Then bolted it back onto the 2 studs and attached the electric connection. No soft codes and the AAD is mostly gone except for the motor.

Attachments

• AAD-0.jpg
    AAD-0.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 28
  • AAD-1.jpg
    AAD-1.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

wswram1500

Reaction score
I doubt there are any videos out there for such a simple job. Just unbolt it, then unplug the connector and tape it up out of the way. I've removed 3 of them and haven't seen any codes thrown.
2020 Ram Laramie/5.7 Truck just died sitting in driveway. Had to have it towed to dealer. $1200.00 for a computer module later, got truck back, throwing a CEL code telling me active air dam is broke. Can I just remove it. If so how does the connector come off? Will try disconnecting first to see if CEL goes away. Thanks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2020 Ram Laramie/5.7 Truck just died sitting in driveway. Had to have it towed to dealer. $1200.00 for a computer module later, got truck back, throwing a CEL code telling me active air dam is broke. Can I just remove it. If so how does the connector come off? Will try disconnecting first to see if CEL goes away. Thanks.
Just standard automotive connector. Nothing special. You can try unplugging it, clear the CEL and see what it does. If light stays off then remove the AAD and bag up the connector and tie it out of the way

wswram1500

Reaction score
Just standard automotive connector. Nothing special. You can try unplugging it, clear the CEL and see what it does. If light stays off then remove the AAD and bag up the connector and tie it out of the way
Excuse my stupidity but dont want to break anything. Picture of plug going to motor is attached. Do I push , pull pry the white tab??

Attachments

• 1000000959.jpg
    1000000959.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread