5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to delete the active air dam?

ocwill1

Reaction score
Neat, but No need for a resistor when you can just unplug it.
agree, which is what I did to mine, but I did get a message in ram connect, however it either went away on its own, or I refreshed it and it went away. Once ram connect is gone, won't really matter to me.. I only brought this up for the folks worried about the message/codes...

As long as I don't see anything on the dash, and everything else works as expected, I don't care about the stuff I cannot see..

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
So a quick thought about those shutters closing at highway speeds, would this actually be counter productive becase of the lack of airflow to
A. The motor for better cooling and airflow.
B. The actual air intake inlet in the grill for the airfilter then gets pretty much cut off from airflow then causing less air put into motor equals less gas mileage.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder how much they spend on warranty repairs for that flimsy piece of crap? Obviously road hazard damage isn’t covered but everything including the electric motor just seems so cheaply made and not built for long term durability.

People who actually pay to replace them at the ridiculous parts department price maybe make up for the warranty costs though.

Unless it impacts sales they don't care how much it costs since the cost of warranty service is paid by the consumer; it does not come out of profits. The cost is added to the base price of every vehicle.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So a quick thought about those shutters closing at highway speeds, would this actually be counter productive becase of the lack of airflow to
B. The actual air intake inlet in the grill for the airfilter then gets pretty much cut off from airflow then causing less air put into motor equals less gas mileage.
It doesn't block off all air flow. Air can still get in to bottom part of radiator and work it's way up to inlet for air box. Also when cruising at highway speeds, when the shutters would be closed, the engine is barely breathing. And if you go wide open throttle the shutters open up.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your engine does not like AGS.
It only exists for better EPA ratings, more air is better for the engine all the time.
People will say it doesn't matter or effect it and it might be true, ive no idea on that. But I do know it's not helping the engine at all.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your engine does not like AGS.
It only exists for better EPA ratings, more air is better for the engine all the time.
People will say it doesn't matter or effect it and it might be true, ive no idea on that. But I do know it's not helping the engine at all.
It might help the engine get to and maintain operating temperature in cold weather conditions. I don't know if air temperature is considered by the controlling algorithm.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It might help the engine get to and maintain operating temperature in cold weather conditions. I don't know if air temperature is considered by the controlling algorithm.
Yes it is. That's part of the function of the AGS, faster warm up time to get the engine into the normal operating temp and closed loop sooner.

Another Money Pit

Reaction score
I don't think that's necessarily true if it only closes at 35+ and not set for Temps automatically. Anything above 70 it opens again anyway

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think that's necessarily true if it only closes at 35+ and not set for Temps automatically. Anything above 70 it opens again anyway
My reply was about the Active Grille Shutter, which is sort of tangential to the thread, though they are wired together and controlled by the same control module port. Maybe it should be a separate thread, this is just how it happened. Someone asked what it could possibly be good for, so I speculated. I don't know if speed has anything to do with it. Anyone know the full scope of the control algorithm?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thermostat doesn't stop cold air from blowing across the engine.
I should know better by now not to try and make light of any conversation you're involved in. Active grille shutters are designed to improve aerodynamic performance, not to help with an engine warming up. I'll concede the temperature inside the engine bay may be increase slightly when they're closed, but they aren't there for that purpose. More of a side effect (if any).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I should know better by now not to try and make light of any conversation you're involved in. Active grille shutters are designed to improve aerodynamic performance, not to help with an engine warming up. I'll concede the temperature inside the engine bay may be increase slightly when they're closed, but they aren't there for that purpose. More of a side effect (if any).
Especially when you are wrong

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231115-111331.png
    Screenshot_20231115-111331.png
    295.2 KB · Views: 27

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Especially when you are wrong
Thanks for making my point. I conceded that there may be "some" increase in engine bay air temperatures, but the primary purpose is for aerodynamic performance, which you seemed to ignore in the screen capture you attached.

Any chance we can get this thread back on topic?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for making my point. I conceded that there may be "some" increase in engine bay air temperatures, but the primary purpose is for aerodynamic performance, which you seemed to ignore in the screen capture you attached.

Any chance we can get this thread back on topic?
I didn't make any pointof yoursz actually proved you wrong because faster warm ups it part of what they do. And I have always said "part of" the function of the grill shutters was to aid in faster warm up times. Never said aerodynamics wasn't the main reason. You derailed it talking about thermostats

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are you sure it's aerodynamic, and what's your source? They have a cold weather grille cover for the diesels, right? How is this different? And if it is aerodynamic, then I think it is entirely appropriate for this thread.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I didn't make any pointof yoursz actually proved you wrong because faster warm ups it part of what they do. And I have always said "part of" the function of the grill shutters was to aid in faster warm up times. Never said aerodynamics wasn't the main reason. You derailed it talking about thermostats
Still pursuing this? It's time for the adults to move on. 🥱

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
“Additional benefit” is synonymous with side effect. There are good side effects and bad side effects. Obviously, this would be a good side effect. But not its main purpose. That was stated in the first paragraph highlighted.

On a side note, shouldn’t a moderator help enhance forum users experience positively instead of driving users away from using this forum? It’s a rhetorical question. No need answer.

Users who are viewing this thread