5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add Digital Rearview Mirror

stray

Reaction score
There is a difference between FCW and FCW+braking. You don't have a DASM according to your windshield.
So I DONT have FCW? I have FCW+braking and that’s different. So order one WITHOUT FCW and ACC. What does that windshield “cutout” look like?

grynidbandit

Reaction score
Hey all, I did this install & all worked out great EXCEPT I'm getting water in 3rd brake light ever since install... I've drained light several times & reset even put some silicone on gasket to no avail... Has anyone experienced/corrected this issue?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I DONT have FCW? I have FCW+braking and that’s different. So order one WITHOUT FCW and ACC. What does that windshield “cutout” look like?

That post shows what a windshield with the DASM looks like. The DASM is what supports ACC and FCW+.

Lukepetersen

Reaction score
Howdy all,
I have a 22+ limited 1500 with DRVM single input only.
In order to get trailer camera out the back I'd need to swap to a 2 input mirror, but is there anything else I would need to purchase? I've bought the mopar/ram trailer kit. But my truck doesn't haven't any wiring from cab to back of the tray/bed. Do I need any additional mopar/ram looms or just run another fakra cable from mirror to back of the truck?

Thanks

vincentw56

Reaction score
Howdy all,
I have a 22+ limited 1500 with DRVM single input only.
In order to get trailer camera out the back I'd need to swap to a 2 input mirror, but is there anything else I would need to purchase? I've bought the mopar/ram trailer kit. But my truck doesn't haven't any wiring from cab to back of the tray/bed. Do I need any additional mopar/ram looms or just run another fakra cable from mirror to back of the truck?

Thanks
You would need to run the Fakra cable from the mirror to the tailer hook up.

Lukepetersen

Reaction score
You would need to run the Fakra cable from the mirror to the tailer hook up.
Thanks mate, wasn't sure if i needed to add anything else. That's great news.
now i need to try and find a mirror (little harder in australia :p)

qecummi11

Reaction score
Good evening,
I have a 2022 Bighorn Ecodiesel that has FCW and Lane Keeping and was interested in adding this mirror. I wanted to know if the mirror also supports Auto Highbeams (my truck does not have it and I want it). Also wanted to know what part numbers will be needed for the trim pieces around the mirror if they are different from the standard mirror.

A bonus question: Can someone tell me the part number for the normal mirror with Auto Highbeam capability.

Thanks,
Quincy

vincentw56

Reaction score
Good evening,
I have a 2022 Bighorn Ecodiesel that has FCW and Lane Keeping and was interested in adding this mirror. I wanted to know if the mirror also supports Auto Highbeams (my truck does not have it and I want it). Also wanted to know what part numbers will be needed for the trim pieces around the mirror if they are different from the standard mirror.

A bonus question: Can someone tell me the part number for the normal mirror with Auto Highbeam capability.

Thanks,
Quincy
No, the mirror doesn't support auto high beams. But good news, you only need to enable it using AlfaOBD since you have FCW+ and LKAS.

qecummi11

Reaction score
No, the mirror doesn't support auto high beams. But good news, you only need to enable it using AlfaOBD since you have FCW+ and LKAS.
@vincentw56 Thank you! That's good news. I will add both along with the rain sensor soon. I had that on my 2020 Laramie and was disappointed that it did not come on this truck. I guess I can add adaptive cruise as well.

T3FLONDON

Reaction score
Here are the instructions for installing the digital rearview mirror in the RAM.

Part List:
Mirror with 1 Video Input Channel, no FCW or ACC - 68448639AB

Mirror with 1 Video Input Channel, with FCW or ACC - 68448641AB

Mirror with 2 Video Input Channel, no FCW or ACC - 68519111AA

Mirror with 2 Video Input Channel, with FCW or ACC - 68519222AA

Center high mounted stop lamp with camera - 68551077AB

10' Fakra Z - Female to Female
Amazon.com[/TD]

Parts if you have a 2019/2020:
2021+ BCM - 68496414AD
Wiring Harness from Jimmy07

You only need one of the mirrors. Just choose the one that fits your vehicle and if you want to have 2 inputs or not. You only need the 2 inputs if you plan on adding another camera like cargo, trailer, etc. For the 2019/2020 you will need a 2021+ BCM and the wiring harness from Jimmy07. You can get a used one from a junkyard. You can then stash this under the driver's side dash or the front seats.

Installation is fairly simple. Replace the CHMSL with the new one. Run the cable in the headliner from it to the mirror. Replace the mirror with the new one. Connect the mirror, truck and BCM using the wiring harness. Start the truck and enjoy your new mirror.

2019/2020s will lose auto dimming side mirrors.

For 2021+, use AlfaOBD to set the following settings for auto dim size mirrors.

LIN & Misc: CRVMM Present to NO

CBC Config I/O Usage: RVDM Present to YES
Question: If I already have a '21 RAM. Will I still need to purchase the harness? I know I will need to replace the mirror.

T3FLONDON

Reaction score
I have a 2021 and added this mirror a while ago, I’ve had no problems except my mirror dimmer doesn’t work anymore. It was plug and play for me so I made no BCM changes, any ideas to get it back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Question: I'm thinking of doing this to my truck as well. All you had to purchase was the mirror & 3rd brake light? no wires?

Ablankens

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Bighorn (Interior feels more like a Tradesman) with a old style flip rear view mirror. I want to install part 68312206AA and get auto hi-beam, auto dim, I know I'm going to need a harness, does anyone have the PN for the harness?, and any configs I will need to swap.. Is there anything else I'll need to pickup

NC-Mike

Reaction score
I am in the planning stages of adding the 360 camera system and I beleive I got a good grasp of that. Well a so so grasp:). I also want to add the digital rearview mirror. I am not sure what CHMSL to get. I believe I need the one with 2 digital cameras. 1 for the bed and one for the Digital rear view. I seem to only find the one with a digital camera for the rear view and an analog for the bed camera. Any help would be appreciated. 2022 Ram 3500

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the planning stages of adding the 360 camera system and I beleive I got a good grasp of that. Well a so so grasp:). I also want to add the digital rearview mirror. I am not sure what CHMSL to get. I believe I need the one with 2 digital cameras. 1 for the bed and one for the Digital rear view. I seem to only find the one with a digital camera for the rear view and an analog for the bed camera. Any help would be appreciated. 2022 Ram 3500
If you’re going to do surround view, you need this CHMSL - 68465998AA

Lukepetersen

Reaction score
In the process of going 2 input mirror for trailer cam kit, anyone know what cable to buy? male/female or female/female etc? assuming 5m ?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In the process of going 2 input mirror for trailer cam kit, anyone know what cable to buy? male/female or female/female etc? assuming 5m ?
You need 30’ of female to female fakra z cable to get from the mirror to the back of the tow mode camera port on the bumper.
You have to use RG58 cable (not the RG174 cable size that’s used for the regular DRVM camera).

Panic

Reaction score
If I get BCM replaced by the dealer( swapping 2020 BCM with 2023) and they program it, will I still lose dimming of sideview mirrors?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread