5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO: Add Digital Rearview Mirror

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is that camera compatible with the OEP backup camera in the tailgate? IE, the UC4.
I do not know. I just know that the cameras used in the digital rear view mirror are different than any other OEM camera.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is that camera compatible with the OEP backup camera in the tailgate? IE, the UC4.
No. The backup camera is digital. The cargo camera in an aftermarket chmsl is analog.
That recon chmsl description is most likely incorrect saying it’s for a 1500. The description says it only fits models with a camera in the OEM brake light. There is no such thing as a 1500 with a factory cargo camera in the chmsl.
IMG_0111.jpeg

darkmage1991

Reaction score
does it really matter what the donor vehicle is for the bcm? ie can it be from a classic model as long as its 2021+?

vincentw56

Reaction score
does it really matter what the donor vehicle is for the bcm? ie can it be from a classic model as long as its 2021+?
No, needs to be 5th Gen. I'm not sure the classics have the digital mirror option.

ya3coub

Reaction score
Because the 2019 and 2020 BCMs don't have the initialization code to enable the mirror. Do you think that we didn't try it? I spent hours working on it and a few with Jimmy07 too before we realized it wouldn't work.
I’m about to pull the trigger,

Do you think the ban will be enough for this upgrade and the digital gauge cluster or do I need a 2023 BCM?

ya3coub

Reaction score
No. The backup camera is digital. The cargo camera in an aftermarket chmsl is analog.
That recon chmsl description is most likely incorrect saying it’s for a 1500. The description says it only fits models with a camera in the OEM brake light. There is no such thing as a 1500 with a factory cargo camera in the chmsl.
View attachment 171604
Hi Jimmy,

I’m intrested in the harness, and wanted to know will a digital gauge cluster work with the supplied harness and will 2021+ bcm be enough or shall I update the bcm to 2023+

stray

Reaction score
Newbie question(s). I have a child seat blocking my rear view and so I'm very interested in this mod. Seems the first post is directed at folks that have somewhat played with their trcuk's settings already. I have not. Questions: What the heck is FCW and how do I know if I have it? Is it front collision warning? My truck slams on its brakes automatically when approaching an object too fast, so if thats what FCW means, I should have it...right? What is ACC? What is a BCM? These seem like key concepts to understand before ordering anything and I've looked through the thread and nobody is breaking it down. Lots of acronyms in these messages. Acronym list availablle? It appears I need a tool of some type to change computer settings as well. What tool or reader? So although the first post is detailed, I feel like I'm butting in and eavesdropping on a discussion that started before I got there and wasn't invited to.

Last edited:

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Newbie question(s). I have a child seat blocking my rear view and so I'm very interested in this mod. Seems the first post is directed at folks that have somewhat played with their trcuk's settings already. I have not. Questions: What the heck is FCW and how do I know if I have it? Is it front collision warning? My truck slams on its brakes automatically when approaching an object too fast, so if thats what FCW means, I should have it...right? What is ACC? What is a BCM? These seem like key concepts to understand before ordering anything and I've looked through the thread and nobody is breaking it down. Lots of acronyms in these messages. Acronym list availablle? It appears I need a tool of some type to change computer settings as well. What tool or reader? So although the first post is detailed, I feel like I'm butting in and eavesdropping on a discussion that started before I got there and wasn't invited to.
Adaptive cruise control
Forward collision warning
Body control module

AlfaOBD

vincentw56

Reaction score

Lots of info posted in here already and all the answers to your questions. You posted nothing about the year and trim of your truck. But do you have adaptive cruise control? Or the cut out in the windshield for FCW?

stray

Reaction score
Adaptive cruise control
Forward collision warning
Body control module

AlfaOBD
Thanks man! I looked through every message before posting to avoid people getting an attitude. Anyway, I’m pretty sure I have FCW and I see what Vincent said about a cutout. Don’t have ACC. And I need to purchase an Alfa OBD before proceeding. Thanks again.

stray

Reaction score
Lots of info posted in here already and all the answers to your questions. You posted nothing about the year and trim of your truck. But do you have adaptive cruise control? Or the cut out in the windshield for FCW?
2020 Laramie (in my signature). No ACC. I have the windshield cutout, thanks for that hint.

vincentw56

Reaction score
2020 Laramie (in my signature). No ACC. I have the windshield cutout, thanks for that hint.
If you don't have ACC then you don't have FCW. Not on that your vehicle. You could post a picture of your windshield from your hood View and we could tell you if you have it or not. But I'm pretty sure that if you don't have ACC you don't have FCW. Not on that year.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't have ACC then you don't have FCW. Not on that your vehicle. You could post a picture of your windshield from your hood View and we could tell you if you have it or not. But I'm pretty sure that if you don't have ACC you don't have FCW. Not on that year.
I don't think this is entirely true. My '22 bighorn did come with FCW, but not ACC. It came with the level 1 safety group which included FCW and some other things.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I don't think this is entirely true. My '22 bighorn did come with FCW, but not ACC. It came with the level 1 safety group which included FCW and some other things.
Yes, your 22. He has a 2020.

stray

Reaction score
Yes, your 22. He has a 2020.
Quick question: Why does my truck brake hard by itself and has a loud red “BRAKE!!!” warning on the cluster gage when I approach an object too fast? Is that not FCW?

stray

Reaction score
IMG_1459.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread