5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how often is everyone changing oil

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
If the outside temperature is between -10 and 100F is there any benefit of one over the other? Doesn't appear to be from the information.

An explanation on a Toyota forum stated that 0W-20 only comes in synthetic (or perhaps it did?). Toyota by calling for 0W-20 calls for synthetic without making the statement for a relatively more expensive oil requirement.

See posts 157, 158 and 159 for the changes in owner's manuals from 2019 to 2021 and 2022.
I'd say there's no real benefit until the temp is well below -10F, and then 0W-20 only has a small advantage over 5W-20. Heck, at -10F even 15W oil is pumpable. I would agree that recommending 0W-20 could be a way for the manufacturers to get consumers to use synthetic without coming right out and using the word "synthetic" in the owners manual. Valvoline, Castrol and Pennzoil all make a synthetic blend 0W-20 but they're not commonly found in the oil aisle at places like Walmart. At one time Toyota sold their brand of 0W-20 synthetic blend but I don't know if it's still available.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd say there's no real benefit until the temp is well below -10F, and then 0W-20 only has a small advantage over 5W-20. Heck, at -10F even 15W oil is pumpable. I would agree that recommending 0W-20 could be a way for the manufacturers to get consumers to use synthetic without coming right out and using the word "synthetic" in the owners manual. Valvoline, Castrol and Pennzoil all make a synthetic blend 0W-20 but they're not commonly found in the oil aisle at places like Walmart. At one time Toyota sold their brand of 0W-20 synthetic blend but I don't know if it's still available.

Probably my question would be, is there any benefit with going to 0W-20 vs 5W-20, both synthetic, in your normal temperature range?

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Probably my question would be, is there any benefit with going to 0W-20 vs 5W-20, both synthetic, in your normal temperature range?
My answer would be no, but some would argue that 0W-20 may use better base stock, others believe 5W-20 may use
less pour point depressant or viscosity index improvers so it has less “plastic” additives. Welcome to the weeds, don’t get lost!

Last edited:

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
Like my '94 and '04 Cummins-powered trucks, my 2020 Hemi gets a fresh charge of Amsoil annually.....5W-20 in the new ride. Back in my diesel days, I always sent out a sample for analysis, and even after 20k miles, I was throwing away good oil. And I put a combined 530,000 miles on those trucks.

harcam

Reaction score
Every 5000m with liqui moly 5w30 chrysler approved. As an auto mechanic i can tell you with todays engines you do not want any sludge.

frisby5

Reaction score
Every 5000m with liqui moly 5w30 chrysler approved. As an auto mechanic i can tell you with todays engines you do not want any sludge.
I just bought A new 2022 bighorn ,it says 0w 20 does your manual have 5w 20 ?

Scram1500

Reaction score
Could be they were waiting for fleet certification or something like that. It's basically the same oil with better flow during warm up. Pennzoil ultra platinum 0w20 and 5w20 have the same operating viscosity at temp

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't remember exactly what I did with this one.. but I usually do the first change at 1k-1.5k, next at 5k, and then every 5k after that. Makes it pretty easy to keep track of.

Mobil One and a Mopar filter, usually the SRT one.

Azsmc

Reaction score
I did my first oil change at 2500. Plan to change every 5000 or one year after that. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20.

frisby5

Reaction score
Are any of you guys putting Lubegaurd in your engines? Im thinking about it.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I considered Lubegard but it's not a good idea. The additives in Lubegard could counteract or fight whatever additives are in the oil. Just run a full synthetic oil like Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, or Castrol Edge, none of those will do you any wrong.

If you want to run a super expensive API certified true synthetic ester oil look into Ravenol or Motul.

frisby5

Reaction score
I have just been reading about it on the forums for the Hemi tick and keeping the top end lubed.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Ah yes, the Hemi tick. Don't read that stuff, you'll end up like Alice falling down a rabbit hole. If you don't have the tick don't worry about it, if you do have a tick it's probably the exhaust manifold. Lifter tick doesn't seem to be an issue on the 5th like it was on the 4th gen

Users who are viewing this thread